WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CF97 > Everything Else.

Question Best way to volunteer while thru-hiking?

I love the fact that the AT is maintained almost entirely by volunteers. It's important to me to give back. What is the best/easiest way to help while thru-hiking?
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

in may at traildays (18-20th?)in damascus va. you can sign up for hardcore, its 2 days of trailwork after traildays
    and you could offer to help crews along the way during the hike when you see them :-)
    only once was i turned away from helping
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 02-03-2012 at 22:22.

Good for you!

As the weather warms, most of the clubs schedule trail maintenance trips on weekends and announce their plans on their website. If you're carrying a SmartPhone, you could download their websites and save them, then consult the sites as you're making your way North. Before you start, you can also e-mail them, announce you'd like to help, and give them your approximate schedule. Perhaps some of them will place you on their e-mail list.

This will get you started: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/abou...ntaining-clubs

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    ...offer to help crews along the way when you see them :-)
    Ditto this. Also do little things along the way to help the trail--"knock a rock, kick a stick, drain the rain". It's what you do when nobody's looking that really counts.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Ditto this. Also do little things along the way to help the trail--"knock a rock, kick a stick, drain the rain". It's what you do when nobody's looking that really counts.
    fun times :-)
    you can get really good with the trekking poles flipping sticks & twigs off the trail, aiming at things or going for distance!
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 02-03-2012 at 23:40.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The easiest way to volunteer is to log blowdowns and trail concerns. And send them to their respective clubs.

As Crumbsnatcher suggested, Hardcore @ TrailDays is the most popular maintenance event. You can also stop in at Kincora, and Bob Peoples will get you to work with the TEHCC.

This is more of a off-hike opportunity, Konnarock or the other ATC trail crews. They work during the summer and work on some of the most major projects. All of it is volunteer, and you can work 1 week or all summer.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I was going to bring some garbage bags with me on my thru hike and pick up whatever I find and drop it in the bins when I get a chance. I figure this will be necessary at the begining when the trail is super packed. Im briging enough for the first week and then I will get more if it seems to be useful.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Love your attitude. Too many people walk right past trash. I've done it; everyone has. But you can't get it all. Therefore I suggest that you teach people along the way about LNT, etc. Don't preach at people; they'll turn you right off. if you see someone doing something wrong, help them out. Such as cleaning dishes in/near a water source, or people starting a new fire ring.

I am not a friendly person when people do dumb stuff. I'll try one friendly sentence, when say, someone pitches their tent 10' from a spring; If they buck, I then let them have it.

Do better than me & help make the trail a cleaner place.
    Be Prepared

Flicking sticks and limbs off the trail as CrumbSnacher suggested is something I do constantly and is a never ending job, as stuff is always falling off of trees and on to the trail. Last spring there were so many blow downs on the trail from the frequent T storms and near tornatos, I bought a small saw in Hot Springs and removed or cleared a path through a down tree almost daily until I got off in VA. I wonder if the people following a day or two behind me noticed how free of debris the trail was?

I don't do this any more, but I used to carry a good sized Buck knife on my pack waist belt and any time I brushed by something growing into the trail I'd pull out the knife and cut it back. I could take branches up to a 1/4" out with one good pull of the knife.

Picking up the occasional candy wrapper or such off the trail when you see one is always a good thing to do.

Sweeping out the shelter is something which has to be done everyday and it is amazing how few people do this, even when there is a broom right there. Even better is when there is both a broom and a rake at the shelter, because then you can really clean up the area. If I have time to kill, I'll often clean up and rebuild the fire ring at the shelter. A lot of them are in pretty bad shape at the start of a new season.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Love your attitude. Too many people walk right past trash. I've done it; everyone has. But you can't get it all. Therefore I suggest that you teach people along the way about LNT, etc. Don't preach at people; they'll turn you right off. if you see someone doing something wrong, help them out. Such as cleaning dishes in/near a water source, or people starting a new fire ring.
    I prefer not bother other people, I feel that on issues like littering it is impossible not to know that its not a nice thing to do so if they are gonna litter it doesnt matter what I say (they might not do it in front of me though). Where as washing in a stream isnt something all campers know (especially new campers). Im not trying to clean it all, just do my part, I like to lead by example but I am not doing this to get attention from others or try to convert anyone just HYOH or HMOH rather.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    The easiest way to volunteer is to log blowdowns and trail concerns. And send them to their respective clubs.
    Concur. Be as descriptive as possible as to location and possible requirements. A 6" dia blowdown can be cleared with a hand saw. Larger than that or one requiring many cuts is probably chainsaw material. You might take a photo with your hiking poles next to it for scale reference. Chances are your trail concern or blowdown will not be next to an obvious landmark such as a shelter. Do your best to guestimate distance to such a landmark, maybe a spring or road crossing, etc.

Lots of good suggestions, so far. Above all, however, be careful and enjoy your Hike!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    some observations

CF97 > Everything Else.

Clearly of paths is something I grew up doing, I've worked at Summer Camps/Outdoor Ed. centers for the last seven years!

Thanks for all the good info folks. Hope I can hook up with an organized group to help rebuild the trail.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

I like your question. In addition to the above:

1) Be a good example on the tail.
    2) Be a good ambassador in town.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

When I thru-hiked in 06, I planned my hike to arrive at Konnarock Base Camp for the first week of trail crew. (It turned out I had severe tendonitis in my hip, so I had to drop out.) If you do volunteer for that, they'll feed you really well. They will also probably pick you up at Partnership Shelter. Check out the Konnarock schedule at www.appalachiantrail.org/volunteer.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    I like your question. In addition to the above:

1) Be a good example on the tail.
    2) Be a good ambassador in town.
    This is exactly what I was thinking - you can do so much for the trail by boosting its reputation -- yes, be an ambassador -- I love that you are so well intentioned and hope that you can volunteer along the way - Handlebar has a good suggestion too with the Konnarock Base Camp trail crew (and staying at Partnership Shelter - it has a shower!) but the reality may be that thru-hiking is HARD - it may be harder than you think and you may not get a chance. I'll throw in a little of my favorite poet here for you:

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
    In proving foresight may be vain:
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
    Gang aft agley,
    An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
    For promis'd joy!
    Still thou are blest, compared wi' me!
    The present only toucheth thee:
    But och! I backward cast my e'e,
    On prospects drear!
    An' forward, tho' I canna see,
    I guess an' fear!

Robert Burns

Images

I also love your question ... and many of the replies so far! Whenever I contact a local AT club to confirm hike conditions and issues, I offer to report blowdowns (with photos).

That said, I also "flick sticks" (and more) from the footpath if I can manage them single-handedly. If I'm with a group, usually it's with really good guys and gals who go out of their way to do that for whomever is behind. After a storm, this can be a major aid to all hikers who follow.

I/we also pick up litter. Often it's a corner from some candy bar wrapper, not much at all but it glitters on the trail. If we see a drink can or bottle off the trail, we get it, if it can be done reasonably. I'd say up to 10 yards away some times (depending on slope and brush), but certainly if it's right along the trail. Unless we run into too much, such as where ATVs, horses, hunters, or "locals" have obviously been. Then we pass.

And yes, I've been known to use my heel or toe to clean out a water bar. And even to pile limbs or brush on a switchback "shortcut" some idiots have created.

I'm always surprised when I follow some other hiker(s) on any trail by an hour or a day, and they fail to pick up a piece of litter, a can or bottle, or move a limb off the trail. Why do they think it's someone else's job to do for them?!

Anyway, organized volunteering is great, but NOT the only way to maintain and improve the trail. Many busy hands make easy work, right?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Here's one way. Bookmark this page and open the link as you approach Rockfish Gap if NOBO Boiling Springs if SOBO:
    http://www.patc.net/PublicView/Calen...d-f3f3558aaaeb

It is a calendar of all PATC events including trail work. Find a venue that fits your schedule and sign up. Or, just Google PATC and go to the calendar. With 240 miles of AT, the club maintains 11% of the total trail, so you'll be on our turf for a while and should have at least one weekend during your traverse.

During the course of your hike, you'll undoubtedly run into crews of folks out working on the Trail. Please consider stopping for awhile, throwing down your pack, and helping these guys out for awhile. I have many friends who are maintainers and I've often asked them how often this happens when they encounter thru-hikers. Their standard response is "Never." Occasionally we get a hello or even a "Thank you!!" but it doesn't happen all that often. The best way to say thanks to the men and women whose volunteer work keeps the Trail alive is to take a few minutes and BECOME one of these people!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    During the course of your hike, you'll undoubtedly run into crews of folks out working on the Trail. Please consider stopping for awhile, throwing down your pack, and helping these guys out for awhile. I have many friends who are maintainers and I've often asked them how often this happens when they encounter thru-hikers. Their standard response is "Never." Occasionally we get a hello or even a "Thank you!!" but it doesn't happen all that often. The best way to say thanks to the men and women whose volunteer work keeps the Trail alive is to take a few minutes and BECOME one of these people!
    Thanks Jack!
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

In any way you can. I call it soul food.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++