WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I only take my leatherman backcountry skiing for repairs. I would want a knife on mine personally. I like the weight of yours(comparitively) and the scissors for taking care of nails. If you use a pot that requires a pot grabber you might be able to substitute the pliers on the leatherman. If the wieghts are close go for it youd have a classic multi-use item.

I carry a small leatherman and like the scissors and the pliers. Gotta have a knife anyway, right?

Start date: March 13, 2012 Stats 2012's Avatar

Am I missing something? There's no knife blade. I switched from the full-size Leatherman to the Squirt and am very pleased.
    http://atstats.blogspot.com

"There are many ways to hike the Trail. Your way will be best.” -- Carolyn Cunningham

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Depends on what you're doing- thru hiking or car camping?
    Good one! Leave it at home.

Hey, Stats 2012. Yeah, it is missing a blade. I'll be carrying a larger knife for general purposes and for defense (hopefully not against humans, god forbid! I don't want to sound like a psycho!). As I said in my thread, I need scissors for my OCD mustache trimming as my beard grows. I haven't found a knife I like with a long enough/sturdy enough blade and a pair of scissors on it. I prefer something with a 3"-3 1/2" blade. Any suggestions? Other than that, I still haven't decided wether to carry this multi-tool on my trip or not.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eywa Dude View Post
    I thought of carrying the Leatherman Style PS for my thru-hike (see link below). It's only 1.58 oz. It seems a set of pliers might come in handy for jammed or off track zippers, as well as a pair of scissors for tape, opening bags, and mustache trimming (I know this sounds ridiculously OCD, but it really does bother me). Is it really worth the extra weight? What do you think?

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Style_PS
    i picked up the leatherman cs the other day @ target. scissors, knife, tweezers and a few other things, weighing in under 1.5 oz.

Post deleted.
    Last edited by Tinker; 02-18-2012 at 21:51.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Eywa Dude View Post
    I thought of carrying the Leatherman Style PS for my thru-hike (see link below). It's only 1.58 oz. It seems a set of pliers might come in handy for jammed or off track zippers, as well as a pair of scissors for tape, opening bags, and mustache trimming (I know this sounds ridiculously OCD, but it really does bother me). Is it really worth the extra weight? What do you think?

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Style_PS
    Yes, I think it is worth the weight. At 1 1/2 ounces if you only ever used the scissors, if it gives you piece of mind, it's worth it. Looks like a great tool. If you find you don't like it, send it home or use it to trade for something along the trail. It's not like you are required to finish with what you start with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    It says on Leatherman website that this one is TSA compliant
    Did anyone tell them (TSA) that?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Images

Leatherman and Swiss Army knife rules (per Murphy):
    As long as you have it with you, you will never need it.
    Should you have it with you, and need it, it will be the model without the tool you need.
    As soon as you leave it home, you will need it, and it would have been perfect for the task.
    If TSA says it's allowed, and you take it, you will run into a TSA agent who doesn't follow TSA rules.
    If you argrue with TSA over the rules, you will get detained.
    If you get detained, you will miss your flight.
    If you miss your flight, you will pay $100's in fees.
    All for a $20 leatherman.

Images

I just got a Leatherman mini knockoff from Cabalas. $5, I usually just cut cheese with the edge of my spoon but this "tool" is so cute I have to bring it
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I don't find them very useful

I carry the Squirt, a couple of ozs. I consider it the necessary item I hope is just along for the ride when hiking w/ a dog, fingers slip while trying to pull porcupine quills.

Your only flying once, so you could always buy one once to get to your starting point. I always carry a Gerber Clutch in my pocket, which is similar to the Squirt except without the scissors. They can be bought for about $15 dollars at Lowe's or Target. I find it's usefully to have. Even if there are no screws to turn, you'll always find a use for the various parts on a multi-tool. From pulling, to scraping, to prying, to cleaning out something.

We are discussing this in the UL Forum??

Is it useless? Well think to yourself what can you use it for on the trail? If you cant think of a purpose for the extra attachments on the leatherman then yes of course it is useless. Some thru-hikers would argue that you dont need it. But everyone is different, maybe you do something with it that others dont. Can you get by with just a regular knife or possibly no knife?

I see alot of "do I really need" questions coming from you on WB. So just remember that all gear is a personal choice. If you plan to use the gear and dont see a way to be comfortable on your hike without it then you should bring it, no matter how little someone else might use the same piece of gear. There are plenty of items other people find integral to their hike that I would never use such as water filters, crocs, and air pads. At the end of the day it is your hike and your comfort, so it has to be your personal preference. If you go out there with someone else's pack you might find yourself in a bad spot.

i'm happy with my leatherman style pocket knife. tweezer, scissors, a blade just big enough to get around summer sausage after making a circle around. a couple of other things but no pliers. i thought i would need them but after years of carrying a bulky leatherman i found out i never used the pliers anyway.
    14.99 at campmor and all for only .81 oz.

and don't feel like you're ocd about the moustache. i have to trim mine at least once a week or my lips completely disappear and every bite i take when eating i end up with a mouth full of hair.

IMO, they weight would be better spent on a quality fixed blade knife. Much more useful in a survival situation, and you are going to use the knife much more often that the other tools.

Images

I just carry the Leatherman Style (.7 oz). I used to carry a fixed blade, but on the trail I find that I don't use the blade for much more than opening food packages etc. I do use the scissors on the Leatherman for personal grooming such as trimming toenails, etc. It also makes it much easier trimming moleskin than a blade. I pretty much use everything on the tool in some way.

I also used to carry a small multi-tool, mainly for the pliers but I decided to save the weight and learned work around not having them. That's not too say that they cannot be useful, but I haven't found them to be essential.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    this is a cardinal rule, dont bring a knife or tool and you will surely need one.
    bring it, and it sits in the pack. I carry a swiss army knife, and Im still waiting to use the awl as well as the phillips head.
    but in the meantime, just having it keeps things from breaking.
    +1

hahahaha

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++