WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cheese Sauce Powder

Can anyone suggest a bulk cheese sauce powder mix that doesn't taste like fake cheese and doesn't cost more than buying plain ol Kraft M&C? I have a ton of bulk pasta already.

I tried buying Trio Cheese Sauce powder from Amazon, it tastes like nacho cheese sauce- fake cheese. I like the Kraft kind- they make a powder for putting on popcorn and stuff but I don't think its the same stuff as what is in the packets that come in the box.

perhaps Barry's: http://www.barryfarm.com/milk.htm

I have not used any of their products, but i would like to try them someday.

Try mixing dried grated Parmesan out of the green can, dried WHOLE milk, and olive oil, with a little garlic powder and black pepper, like an Alfredo?

I'd use plain old grated parmesan/romano cheese and add some good quality powdered milk (like Nido if you can get it).

Spice according to taste (i.e. lemon pepper is good to have; as are red pepper flakes; garlic and onion powder; curry powder; mixed italian seasonings; etc). Building your own mac 'n cheese or Lipton is really a very easy thing to do. If you REALLY want to improve it, always leave town with an onion and a green pepper; diced fine, they're a great addition to just about anything you cook.

Also, carrying a block of cheese whenever you leave town (like a hard cheddar or Colby) and dicing it into your dinner will also make a difference.

They best way to enjoy mac 'n cheese is, whenever possible, to use real cheese.

hmmm I already have Nido and parm, and olive oil in my drops, I was going to add them to various things, but I should experiment with just that and I'll be carrying block cheese anyway too. Will have to try it for dinner tonight- thanks everyone.

Knorr food products (in your supermarket's "Gravy/Sauces" section) also come in handy for making "homemade Liptons." I especially recommend the Pesto.

for those who can not eat MSG you need to read the labels on the Knorr gravy/sauces before buying especially the pesto, it's loaded with MSG

Images

go here and do a search for cheese powder http://www.americanspice.com/
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

I can vouch for Barrys... they have good products and we use the cheese sauce powder.

Images

Packit Gourmet also sells cheese sauce powder: http://www.packitgourmet.com/Cheese-...wder-p315.html

They have a blue cheese version as well.

I bought several of these on sale at our local grocery. I have repackaged them for my food resupply boxes.

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Creek-Cou...4647414&sr=1-7

There are many options - you can buy it online or you can also just use fresh cheese, diced up or Velveeta or make your own dry sauces.

This is a powder mix recipe from our website:

Parmesan cheese sauce mix

Ingredients

• 1 c dry milk
    • 1⁄4 c shelf stable Parmesan or Romano cheese
    • 1 1⁄2 t dried garlic
    • 1⁄2 t onion powder (not onion salt)
    • 1⁄2 t ground black pepper

Instructions

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly closed container (plastic bag or tub). Keeps for 4 months, stored away from heat. Long term storage in the refrigerator is a good choice.
    To use:
    Combine 1/4 cup mix with 2 tablespoons melted butter and 1/4 cup water.

Notes

Add salt to taste.
    This mix works well with cooked and dehydrated pasta. 1/4 cup of the dry mix with 4 to 5 ounces of dehydrated pasta. (Weight after cooking/drying). Olive oil can be subbed for butter.
    You can find dried cheeses from a number of companies online, to be used instead of Parmesan. Use dehydrated cheese, not freeze-dried though.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

AZwildflower

Oh My!! Wouldn't that soup mix be good with a Mango chipotle salmon pouch.

mmmmm!!

I'm going camping this weekend and I'll look for some at Publix today.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Sarbar has the right idea.
    Use real cheese, dry it if you want save a little weight, and add whatever other ingredients you wish.

This Southeastern Mills cheese sauce mix is what I use and it tastes like the regular Mac-n-Cheese sauce. According to the package, one package makes 2 cups, but I just dump the about 1/2 a package of powder over my prepared and slightly watery cous-cous, add a little Nido powdered milk, and mix it all together. Nice quick one dish meal.

I buy it locally at a used bread store but Amazon has 24 packets for about $26 and that includes shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    I buy it locally at a used bread store
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Don't overlook soup mixes. I use some cheddar-broccoli soup mix as though it's a sauce, not a soup. Works brilliantly, especially when a little real cheese is mixed in, too.

Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    I buy it locally at a used bread store
    JustaTouron -
    There is a bakery outlet nearby that sells name brand bread, Twinkies, and other stuff that is a day or two old at deep discounts. They also have items that are A-1 like the sauce. We just always refer to it as the used bread store. BTW, if the bread doesn't sell there by a certain date, local farmers buy it by the pickup load to feed their animals. That is also where I get a lot of goodies for trail magic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    There is a bakery outlet nearby that sells name brand bread, Twinkies, and other stuff that is a day or two old at deep discounts. They also have items that are A-1 like the sauce. We just always refer to it as the used bread store. BTW, if the bread doesn't sell there by a certain date, local farmers buy it by the pickup load to feed their animals. That is also where I get a lot of goodies for trail magic.
    In my younger days, I did buy quite a bit of bakery items at an outlet that had stuff that either were about to expire or just had and cost about 1/3 full retail. Day old bread I am okay with. USED bread --- is ****, quite literally!
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

The bakery outlets are awesome places for soup mixes (yeah weird) but DO check them out. The Etenmans/Orowheat ones specially.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++