WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gloves?

Default Gloves?

Quick question: when looking for UL gloves, is the best choice a) going with the old "just use your extra socks" option, b) using wind-resistant and water-repellent sports gloves, weighing about 1.5-2.5 oz/pr, or c) going with a cheap pair of cotton jersey work gloves, weighing about .5 oz/pr?

If this has already been discussed, I apologize-- I was a slacker, and didn't skim over the forum.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Journal Entries
    Images

skip the cotton jersey.... most thin fleese will work
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RodentWhisperer View Post
    Quick question: when looking for UL gloves, is the best choice a) going with the old "just use your extra socks" option, b) using wind-resistant and water-repellent sports gloves, weighing about 1.5-2.5 oz/pr, or c) going with a cheap pair of cotton jersey work gloves, weighing about .5 oz/pr?

If this has already been discussed, I apologize-- I was a slacker, and didn't skim over the forum.
    If your spare socks get soaked you will no longer have a dry spare pair of socks.
    Cotton gloves suck.
    Go with lightweight windblock fleece.

Better yet, fleece mittens.

And get some of them there news paper baggies,the long thin ones....pink or clear in my area,your choice.Alot of people don't like what I'm about to say but here goes...They weigh next to nothin'!

Garlic
    Images

Those poly or wool surplus gloves are good and cheap. Any kind of glove liner works. And of course "bagtex", as Rocketsocks says, is always a good option for feet as well as hands. A couple extra bread bags are good to have. I tried the socks thing and without cutting a hole in the heel I really don't like the loss of dexterity. An opposable thumb is what sets us apart from the beasts.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I used fleece, wind-resistant gloves from Outdoor Research. They weighed 3 ounces for the pair and I was glad I had them along early in the hike and then later in NH and ME.

It's all about making items do multi-task duty. Spare socks are not only warmer, but you can nix the gloves. Unfortunately, if you hike with poles, the socks will get wet in the rain. Another reason not to use poles. This is just what works for me.

Or you can use mittens for socks.

Images

and spare underwear for a hat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2012 View Post
    and spare underwear for a hat.
    Yeah, that works well, especially when hitching into town

Q - "How'd you get those skid marks on your hat, boy?"
    A - "I had my head up my a**, sir."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderheart View Post
    It's all about making items do multi-task duty. Spare socks are not only warmer, but you can nix the gloves. Unfortunately, if you hike with poles, the socks will get wet in the rain. Another reason not to use poles. This is just what works for me.
    what? do you keep your hands in your pockets all day when it rains? i'd be afraid of falling and not being able to get my hands up to catch myself.

personally i like US army surplus wool gloves ($4). tough and durable, cheap, light. the bp trilogy
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Q - "How'd you get those skid marks on your hat, boy?"
    A - "I had my head up my a**, sir."
    Just be sure to not pull the wool over your eyes in that situation.

Just ordered these for a 5-day northern Virginia AT section, in case we get hit with cold, wet, weather... 100% waterproof @ $27!

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/se...nz-gloves.html

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

For the PCT, I just carried a pair of MLD's event rain mitts at 1.2oz. Z-packs makes a lighter version out of cuben fiber at less then an ounce. Was more then enough to keep my hands warm in the predawn mornings when it was panifully cold for them on my trekking poles. They were also waterproof. I did throw in a 1.5oz pair of thin fleece gloves for the last 2 weeks of september but never needed them. The mitts would have easily have layered over the gloves without problems.

I like my Outdoor Research PL Base Gloves at 1.4 oz for the pair. $20 if I recall correctly, and even though they got wet, they kept my hands warm anyways.

My preferred layering system for hand warmth is:

PossumDown Gloves (layer 1)
    Black Rock Gear Undermits (layer 2)
    Black Rock Gear Overmitts (layer 3)

My setup is 91 grams (3.2 ounces) and is all I have ever needed. I do sometimes take a pair of PossumDown Glovelets if I know its going to be at or below freezing, just to help out a bit.

Right now the BRG Overmitts are not available and likely will not be before the start of the 2012 hiking season.

The best alternative options are to go with either the MLD eVENT Rain Mitts or the ZPacks WPB CF Rain Mitts.

The MLD ones cost $49 and weigh 36 grams (1.3 ounces) and are made of eVENT - which has far superior breathability to WPBCF.
    The ZPacks ones cost $49 and weigh 30 grams (0.7 ounces) and are made of Waterproof Breathable Cuben Fiber.

I wrote a review awhile back on the BRG Undermits. I have not had a chance to write a review on the BRG Overmitts. And, the PossumDown Gloves are the most magical gloves on the planet. You can put these on, put your hands in a cold creek, you will know that your hands are cold, but for some reason, your hands actually feel warm. The only word of caution about them... keep them away from flames. I have about three or four pair of them without fingers because I keep using them when boiling water and the flames of the stove just frizzle the merino wool.

And, if you are going to pick up a pair of the Black Rock Gear Undermits and do not already have a Black Rock Gear Hat... buy one!!

What Rusty sed - OR fleece, wind-resistant mittens. Warmest for the weight. If you REALLY need to you can wear socks inside them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++