WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shaving

Default Shaving

How many on this list deal with the issue of shaving on the trail? If I don't shave at least every other day I start to look like a hairy beast. There must be a way a guy can get a good shave without hauling a heavy a can of shaving cream around.

Images

Rarely does a backpacker shave on the trail and yes, we do look like hairy beasts - thank you. I suppose that I should point out that you could carry a very small BAR of shaving soap and a brush, razor, and hand-held mirror in a fairly lightweight fashion. You would then warm water in your cook-pot and shave-on. I lived (by choice) in the back of my truck with a camper top for a long time and did this sort of thing often. If you do manage a long distance hike and happen to shave regularly on the trail, a fitting trail name won't be a problem.

Ah yes, goin' for that Ed Garvey look !

Garlic
    Images

I stay clean-shaven on the trail. I shave every four or five days, usually whenever I get a shower. Ditto for the small bar of soap, and it doesn't have to be special shaving soap, just any hand soap. Rub it directly on your wet face and make a lather. Someone suggested using single-bladed disposables instead of the typical multi-bladed ones, saying they clog up less.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I shave with a set of beard trimmers with the guard off. Gets a pretty close shave, about what it would be like after a day or so with a blade. It's a lot cheaper, a 20 dollar beard trimmer will last probably 3-4 years with constant use. Razors are a huge pain, my beard is so coarse I burn through blades. I personally would just grow a beard on the trail, I grew a huge one on my thru last year.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    I shave with a set of beard trimmers with the guard off. Gets a pretty close shave, about what it would be like after a day or so with a blade. It's a lot cheaper, a 20 dollar beard trimmer will last probably 3-4 years with constant use. Razors are a huge pain, my beard is so coarse I burn through blades. I personally would just grow a beard on the trail, I grew a huge one on my thru last year.
    This.

A razor hasn't touched my face in about 6 years lol. I also have horribly sensitive skin on my neck. I would rather be a hairy beast than razor rash for six months.
    "I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." ~Robert Louis Stevenson
    AT thru-hike in planning - Class of 2012

Because I am such a mutt, heredity has given me the most unappreciated swirled facial hair pattern, and I look like a crazed beast within a four days or so.
    I know some people like to go for the beard when LD backpacking, but if Earl Shaffer made a point to shave before going back into society--then gosh darn, it I will too!
    I use the disposable razor & Dr Bronner's for the woods...

Quote Originally Posted by The Grip View Post
    Because I am such a mutt, heredity has given me the most unappreciated swirled facial hair pattern, and I look like a crazed beast within a four days or so.
    I know some people like to go for the beard when LD backpacking, but if Earl Shaffer made a point to shave before going back into society--then gosh darn, it I will too!
    I use the disposable razor & Dr Bronner's for the woods...
    Well, I am not particularly worried about what Earl Shaffer would or would not do, I gotta do what works for me. I wouldn't bother, personally, one less thing to worry about. Also the beard is a "status symbol" of a thru, and makes hitching up north easier, and you don't have to constantly explain you are thru hiking, the beard says it all.

Images

This shaving cream in a tube might just be the thing -- http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/prod...7431&cm_vc=200
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

who is this OP anyway - are we really advising someone that is going to be hiking about how to shave or just talking some sh%t?

Too bad you can't shave with beer foam. "I don't often shave, but when I do, I prefer Dos Eques. Stay hairy, my friends!"
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

I can not understand why anyone would give a rats ass about shaving. It actually presents a higher risk of infection and can take you off the trail.
    Even when I went to Mountain Warfare school in Bridgeport, Ca (USMC) we were discouraged from shaving.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Too bad you can't shave with beer foam. "I don't often shave, but when I do, I prefer Dos Eques. Stay hairy, my friends!"
    WELL SAID! - But for me I take a double disposable and NO soap. Yes Pain with gain - less blood.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Natures Son View Post
    How many on this list deal with the issue of shaving on the trail? If I don't shave at least every other day I start to look like a hairy beast. There must be a way a guy can get a good shave without hauling a heavy a can of shaving cream around.
    Liquid Camp Soap and warm water works for me... it won't make foam, but provides enough lubrication. I wash and rinse first, and, if it's particularly coarse, steam it with a bandana dunked in hot water. Then work in some soap and shave; a mirror can be helpful.

I often shave on the trail, at least to get down to a goatee. On the AT I did full-face shave until Maine. On the PCT I shaved when I was in town some times, but then switched to just shaving to a goatee. Mainly it's just because my cheeks don't grow in well

If you want to save some weight, use actual shaving soap and brush, like you would find in a barber shop. It's dry, and they make travel sizes, so it's not more than 2 ounces. And a cheapo brush will be really light as well, probably lighter than the soap itself (good brushes tend to be heavier). Also, shaving soap works much better than shaving cream. Really, it's just the better option.

Most people don't shave during a LD hike. I was a constant source of interest from other hikers during my hikes because I did shave.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

My cousin and hiking partner has a very heavy beard and just brings along a travel size of Barbasol (about the same size as toothpaste) and shaves every other day no big hassle and little weight penalty. Personally I just wait till we are done with our week or so and shave then. On a longer hike I would probably shave whenever I stayed at a motel/hostle. HYOH
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Look up something called Shave Secret. It's a small (1 oz. I think) plastic dropper bottle of what I think is mostly camphor oil. I use it at home. Works great. They have it at WalMart here.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    If you want to save some weight, use actual shaving soap and brush, like you would find in a barber shop. It's dry, and they make travel sizes, so it's not more than 2 ounces. And a cheapo brush will be really light as well, probably lighter than the soap itself (good brushes tend to be heavier). Also, shaving soap works much better than shaving cream. Really, it's just the better option.
    For me if I were inclined to shave on the trail, this is most likely what I would do. I already shave with soap and a brush at home and my regular razor is a WW1 era Gillette army kit, which was made to be small and lightweight for use in the field.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Just use some cooking oil instead of soap or shaving cream. It works suprisingly well and you don't have to introduce new items to your pack.

On Wingfoots first hike he took an "electric" razor that you "charged" by shaking it. I think he sent it home at Neels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++