WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default dehydrating spaghetti

I was just wondering if anyone has any input on how to dehydrate spaghetti noodles? I'm looking to dehydrate them, but have NO idea what temputure to put the dehydrator at. Any input would be great!
    Thanks,

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I have pasta of some sort in most of my dehydrated meals.

Break into small pieces to speed dehydrating.
    I usually cook like normal.
    Spread on dehydrator trays very thin.
    Set temp to 145ish.
    Dry for around 5-6 hours.

I do not think you can over dry food. I usually leave it in longer than needed. I break it up into small pieces if I can through the drying processes. I consider it done when everything is dry. I usually leave it in for 20 min or so longer than that.

Someone on another thread suggested that you put the dried food into a zip lock bag and seal it. If you see any condensation develop, you need to dry longer.

I had a bad experience with mold on a trip after not dehydrating long enough, so I am a little overly careful now.

She's either joking, or talking about fresh pasta.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

I am wondering is she has spaghetti & sauce cooked and mixed together and now wants to dehydrate it.... It's a lot easier to jus dehyde the sauce and add spaghetti later......
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I thought about dehydrating the sauce only, then adding it to cooked noodles. I just think it is less hassle for me to cook everything at once, dry it all together, and rehydrate it all together. I think that the noodles cook faster and easier this way and absord the sauce. I also add veggies and/or meat to the mix. Store it all together, and add it all to the pot together to rehydrate.

Just what works for me so far.

Actually if you want to just add boiling water and let it rehydrate, cooking spaghetti and then dehydrating it works better than trying to do that with store-bought dry spaghetti. I've tried it both ways. If it isn't cooked and then dehydrated, it gets gooey and starchy when just adding boiling water into it in a zip-lock.

Temperature wise on setting the dehydrator, I think I used about 135 degrees.

I used the dehydrated three-chesse tortellini when I am backpacking. You can find it near the spagetti noodles. I think Bartolli makes it. The instructions say to boil ten minutes, but you can get by with boiling maybe 5 minutes, put the cover on your pot and let it sit for a while. Works great. Then I add the rehydrated pasta sauce over the warm tortellini and voila!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

Anyone know how to dehydrate raisins?
    You are in heaven.

Wow, our new member will be back soon after that barrage .

I find that cooking the spaghetti/pasta, dehydrating, then rehydrating produces a better taste than cozy cooking it and is faster than just cooking it in camp.

BJtrailgrl, my old dehydrator didn't have a temperature gauge, but it never browned the pasta either. Hammock Engineer recommended 145, that sounds fine. I wouldn't worry too much 'cause if you mess it up, it will only cost about 50 cents.

to WB.net
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by River Runner
    Actually if you want to just add boiling water and let it rehydrate, cooking spaghetti and then dehydrating it works better than trying to do that with store-bought dry spaghetti. I've tried it both ways. If it isn't cooked and then dehydrated, it gets gooey and starchy when just adding boiling water into it in a zip-lock.

Exactly By precooking and drying pasta, it basically becomes 'instant' pasta. Undercook it by about 1-2 minutes, as sitting in boiling water finishes it up. Dry it at 135-140* or so till dry. You want to make sure the pasta is really dry (hard hard). Then store in sealed bags till trip time.

To bring back, just pour boiling water to cover (if using small pasta pieces do a 1:1 ratio of water/pasta), make sure pasta is covered, and put in a cozy for 10-15 minutes, and it is ready!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

thank you all for your inputs! And i was talking about boiling the pasta first then dehydrating it, b/c i don't want to sit there and wait for like 15 minutes till the pasta just cooks in boiling water at camp! I want to boil water add it to the pasta and have dinner in about 5 minutes!!
    Thanks all once again, some of you were very helpful!

Section Hiker ~ 125 miles adh24's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amigi'sLastStand
    I don't think raisins need dehydrating, or are you asking how to make your own raisins? If so:

Just dehydrate grapes. Make sure you boil them in wate for a minute or two to get the waxy coating off or they won't fully dehydrate.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by adh24
    I don't think raisins need dehydrating, or are you asking how to make your own raisins? If so:

Just dehydrate grapes. Make sure you boil them in wate for a minute or two to get the waxy coating off or they won't fully dehydrate.
    Cool, thanks! Can you tell me how to dehydrate beef jerky, too? I always want to try to hike lighter. Thanks ahead of time.
    You are in heaven.

Leave the bag open.

Quote Originally Posted by River Runner

Exactly. The sauce on the noodles helps keep them from sticking together.

Images

Remember that if you dry anything with tomatoes in it be careful & watch closely, if you overdry the tomatoes they (& everything in the sauce) will taste burned. It will not (necessarily) be burned, it will just taste that way. IF that is the taste you are going for, , , Nevermind.

I usually dry my pasta sauce till it just begins to brown. Brown tomato sauce is "burned" tomato sauce. This requires almost constant watching near the end of the drying cycle.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Section Hiker ~ 125 miles adh24's Avatar
    Images

Cool, thanks! Can you tell me how to dehydrate beef jerky, too? I always want to try to hike lighter. Thanks ahead of time.
    Just get a flank steak and make sure you cut off as much fat as possible then toss it into the freezer to firm it up a bit. This makes it easier to cut your pieces. Cut your slices into 1/4" to 1/2" thick. Now marinate it any way you like I just did this one and it is the "bomb".

-Bottle of Teriyaki sauce (try to get the good stuff that is thick and not watered down)

- Two table spoons of A1

- Four table spoons of worcestershire sauce

Let sit over night. When drying periodically pat the pieces with a paper towel to get excess marinate off. Also you can add a curing pack some sort of nitrate mixture (my packed came with my dehydrator). Helps keep the bugs from forming on the meet while drying. When done freeze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by adh24
    Just get a flank steak and make sure you cut off as much fat as possible then toss it into the freezer to firm it up a bit. This makes it easier to cut your pieces. Cut your slices into 1/4" to 1/2" thick. Now marinate it any way you like I just did this one and it is the "bomb".

-Bottle of Teriyaki sauce (try to get the good stuff that is thick and not watered down)

- Two table spoons of A1

- Four table spoons of worcestershire sauce

Let sit over night. When drying periodically pat the pieces with a paper towel to get excess marinate off. Also you can add a curing pack some sort of nitrate mixture (my packed came with my dehydrator). Helps keep the bugs from forming on the meet while drying. When done freeze.
    That is how to make beef jerky. I wanted to know how to dehydrate beef jerky!
    You are in heaven.

Images

That is how to make beef jerky. I wanted to know how to dehydrate beef jerky!
    Quit pulling our legs or someone's going to dehydrate you (and it is painful no matter what Mr. Schiavo and the doctors say.)

Images

Lol, Jay. Wanted to see how long I could keep it going. You ruined all my fun for the week.
    You are in heaven.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer
    I used the dehydrated three-chesse tortellini when I am backpacking. You can find it near the spagetti noodles. I think Bartolli makes it. The instructions say to boil ten minutes, but you can get by with boiling maybe 5 minutes, put the cover on your pot and let it sit for a while. Works great. Then I add the rehydrated pasta sauce over the warm tortellini and voila!
    I love these things on trail...I used make an entire 8 oz bag but could never finish all of it...now I take half a bag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++