WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A.t mugging

Images

No need to mention it to anyone. Just keep walking.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

"Apple" usually has his big tent set up in Burningtown Gap during March.....maybe he knows something of what took place.

Journal Entries

Walk softly and carry a BIG STICK not one of those little trekking poles. :-)
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danl View Post
    Walk softly and carry a BIG STICK not one of those little trekking poles. :-)
    My hiking stick is about a three year old sapling of Sassafras,I don't think that is a hard wood(not sure)?but I sure wouldn't want to get thumped by it.Have trekking poles too probably only good for poking or some kind of appendage trap or head lock.

Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Pointless? Not really.

The ATC clearly advises people to report criminal incidents to 911, law enforcement, or other appropriate agencies.

That said, incidents should also be reported to the ATC. It serves as a great centralized repository of information and reduces fragmented reporting of incidents. It's a long trail and we need reporting methodologies like this to get the "big picture".

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...rt-an-incident
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    Well last time I checked ATC has NO LEGAL AUTHORITY. Also if your a hiker you know word spreads quickly. Not really if ATC served us as hikers we would not be paying a fortune in the WHITES...to camp at "shelters" regardless of need or want of them. Also he was mugged you ever think by reporting it he did us all a great justice by REPORTING IT...how many guys do you know would say they were mugged? NONE people even laughed at him for hiking at night...obviously those people were morons like you. He filed a report enough said. BTW whats with the pictures of these women as your profile pic? Your an old(er) man very creepy indeed of you...remind me of "dirty girl" being he is another oddball. All in all he did a great thing by reporting it who even asks ATC for information? The park rangers are the ones to inform not a "non-profit". They only care about the unholy dollar.

[/QUOTE]

In addition to your needless, ill-informed, and unreasonable diatribe against the ATC - which others have addressed - your internet manners could stand some improvement.

Disagree with Spokes as you wish but he is not a "moron."

Images

I find it strange that Irish Bastard posted in the Class of 2012 forum on 9-5-2011 that he was hiking Northbound and using the name "Roadside". http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1197242

Are you talking about yourself? If not, why post you're using the name Roadside? What's the deal?
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    I find it strange that Irish Bastard posted in the Class of 2012 forum on 9-5-2011 that he was hiking Northbound and using the name "Roadside". http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1197242

Are you talking about yourself? If not, why post you're using the name Roadside? What's the deal?
    Good catch Moose. Anybody ever call you Sherlock?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    Pointless? Not really.

The ATC clearly advises people to report criminal incidents to 911, law enforcement, or other appropriate agencies.

That said, incidents should also be reported to the ATC. It serves as a great centralized repository of information and reduces fragmented reporting of incidents. It's a long trail and we need reporting methodologies like this to get the "big picture".

Spokes is legit - I agree with him about reporting to the ATC - - while they obviously have no law enforcement arm, they are the de-facto "sponsoring organization" of the trail and keep tabs on stuff like this. Law enforcement should obviously also be contacted and I'm real glad Roadside is ok and still kicking it up the trail.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Wow Moose, I never would have caught that. Sure makes reading this thread a bit more interesting.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf:1281838

Wow Moose, I never would have caught that. Sure makes reading this thread a bit more interesting.
    Amazing catch! I've read many of Irish Bastards posts and he comes off as combative and rude in most threads. I have a feeling that this entire thing is just for obtaining attention.

Images

I like Spokes' avatars. Like George Burns told me when he was only a spry 90 ... I liked pretty girls when I was young. Why wouldn't I like them now?

Burningtown Gap has a strange vibe to it.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    I like Spokes' avatars. Like George Burns told me when he was only a spry 90 ... I liked pretty girls when I was young. Why wouldn't I like them now?

Burningtown Gap has a strange vibe to it.
    I've always gotten a kick out of Spokes' constantly changing avatar as well. It's no surprise that his profile has the highest number of visitors of any of the ones I've seen. .
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    Has anyone heard of "ROADSIDE" he was mugged the evening of March 24th 2012 fifty feet from "Burningtown Gap". The ******** got away with two hundred in cash and shook him up badly. Also do to this he has hiked faster then anyone in his weight let alone pack weight...he is a "jack rabbit". Just want to have people WATCH OUT for what may happen...he was night hiking alone. Though like a man of intelligence instead of leaving trail...he has stuck with it and given back MUCH MORE.
    Sorry to hear about this, but I gotta ask this question simply b/c nobody else has: Why was he acrrying $200 in cash?! ***!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Sorry to hear about this, but I gotta ask this question simply b/c nobody else has: Why was he carrying $200 in cash?! ***!!
    --sorry about the last part, didn't know those three letters in that sequence were banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Sorry to hear about this, but I gotta ask this question simply b/c nobody else has: Why was he acrrying $200 in cash?! ***!!
    cousin Diff I'm getting that's an excessive amount?I guess I thought most would carry more....but I really don;t have anything to base that on,just curious

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    cousin Diff I'm getting that's an excessive amount?I guess I thought most would carry more....but I really don;t have anything to base that on,just curious
    Based on the fact that I did my thru in 1992 and food drops were common every 4-6 days on the trail AND there really is nowhere to buy anything while on the trail(that's why you're there, right?), AND what few there are between town stops, where would you spend $200 in 4--6 days on the trail while hiking from town to town?

Oh, and another thing; Why would the mugger even think that a hiker would that kind of dough on themselves to begin with?

Why would a mugger think they'd have a bank roll...I did,but that was a guess.And I guess I'd take a larger amount for emegensies,what ever that is.But know I see your point and for me it would be yes,I'm here for the hiking not the trail town of love and fun LOL

...do we have the 2012 version of Minnesota Smith on our hands?

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Reading the Posts by IrishBASTARD is like watching or listening to MSNBC. Unimformed, misinformed, mean spirited, don't know nothin' about nothin' but expert on whatever topic comes up.

Fixed the typo for ya.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++