WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The merits of one? Well, almost every other thru hiker you met will be using one. You'll be jealous and prolly end up using one too.

Hybrid maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHfs...3&feature=plcp

this is a very complex alcohol stove, but it gives you an idea as to how versatile an alkie can be. As for "real" cooking whether its an alcohol stove, or a jatboil your going to more then likely get stuck fbcing. if you want to simmer go with a canister.

User friendly alcohol stove: http://www.packafeather.com/xlstove.html

This is a simmering alcohol stove with some nice features.

I may buy one once I get back to work.

I've been using a Supercat for the past five years. It takes some tinkering to figure out how much fuel you'll need. It can simmer with a simple ring cut out of a soda can (see my pics.).

No pot stand means low height which makes for less windscreen material to carry (should fit most cooksets when nested against the outside wall, but I use a titanium foil screen, which rolls up small as a pencil stub and is held together with paper clips, making it adjustable for smaller or larger pots). As mentioned earlier, no pot support means reduced weight as well. I rarely start a cookig fire, but will gladly use an existing fire to save fuel and expense.

My stove and cookset:

Speed and convenience are overrated. Simplicity, function, and weight rule. (That's why I use ti pots and cookware - and no plastic utensils to accidentally step on and break).
    Last edited by Tinker; 02-10-2012 at 17:31.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I love my Jetboil with the speed and convenience. For me it is well worth the weight.

I have been eyeing that packafeather myself.

Tinker - Where do you get the ti windscreen?

getting ready for my first at trip in june. bought my first alcohol stove from white box stoves. it arrived today so i had to try it. simple setup, took wifes old two quart pot, 1.5 oz heet. water started to boil in 4min and 35 sec. flame lasted a bit longer. what could be easier, especially for a rookie. thanks all you white blaze posters for the great educational comments for us rookies. ps my grandson and i are taking the damascus to wautauga lake trip from north to south. thanks for all the tips and advice

Journal Entries
    Images

I sell alcohol stoves at bottlestoves.com for $7 to $8. They weigh less than 30 g (less than 1 ounce), you can stand on them, and they prime/burn well. In cold weather, I recommend putting your stove on an upside down can.
    David Smolinski

I have a canister stove, Jetboil, and various other options but what I have settled on is a homemade alcohol stove I made from the bottom section of an aluminum spray can. I use it in conjuntion with a 24 oz beer can for a pot. Stove, pot, and a very nice wind screen weigh 3 oz. If you go with alcohol use Heet instead of alcohol, burns much better, is cheaper, and has less odor.

On the AT denatured alcohol is easily available. I was an alcohol skeptic until I used an Etowah alcohol stove. It did what I needed and never gave me any clogging problems or mechanical failure. A downside to alcohol is the longer time to get a boil on but when you are talking a another minute or two from say a white gas stove the difference is mute. So you really need that piping hot coffee two minutes faster?

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    ....but I prefer to purchase one so I don't screw it up...
    If you can open a can of cat food and operate a paper hole punch you can make a Super Cat Stove. Doesn't get much easier.

Cheers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aZgc...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1RbI...e_gdata_player

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I love my Jetboil with the speed and convenience. For me it is well worth the weight.
    I use a jetboil and I think the weight issue is overplayed. The alcohol stove plus pot plus cover plus fuel added together should be compared with the Jetboil weight. Also the I get 30 days from one canister. So i think convenience and weight together Jetboil is a winner but certainly not price . the fancy one is 10.5 ounces for $115. That's a lot of Ramen.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

When I go on my next long distance hike, I plan on cooking cabbage in town, using up the fuel (possibly donating or sharing it), and then hiking to the next town without fuel. Also, the amount of alcohol required to cook a meal on one of my stoves is quite small.

My alcohol fuel discoveries: Heet is the best, followed by denatured, followed by isopropyl.
    David Smolinski

Just like bamboo said the weight is overplayed. Logistically how far are you going?, how many times do you plan on using it a day. The fuel canisters are very low weight (3.53 oz per 100g can). I normally mark w/ a perm marker how many times I have boiled 2 cups of water per cannister. The average with the regulator on medium not wide open was between 17-20 uses before it's dead. So about 7oz (2 cans) thats about 34-40 times of use or 80 cups of boiled water.
    "This side towards enemy" instructions for U.S. Army claymore mine

Some folks use fuel for alcohol stoves that is not denatured...dual purpose here. Can't do that with a Jetboil.

I have a jetboil I'll probably continue to use for week end trips but any longer hike I'll use the alcohol stove. Pot, stove and a real nice wind screen weigh 3oz, 2/3 ounce of fuel will boil 2-cups of water at $.14/ounce, and most important, there's nothing to go wrong with it and you can pretty much always find fuel.

I have to agree with an earlier post. I would not want to try to make my own stove. There is a reason that they are sold in the stores in my opinion.
    A Black And Decker Rice Cooker will let you eat inexpensively delicious meals

Had Jetboil and switched to a Giga. Less weight and more heatcontrol. You can't simmer on Jetboil very well. With a Titanium cook set, the weight is less than the Jetboil.

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

I have used both. I prefer Jetboil. I'm usually with a group of 3-5 folks. Dinner goes quicker when you have a JetBoil. If you are freezerbag cooking, the weight between JetBoil and fuel vs alcy stove, fuel, pot, potstand, and windbreaker isn't enough to offset the cooking speeds. YMMV
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Only Iron Chef's use a JetBoil on the trail and say things like "I'm going to add cilantro and then make a nice chutney." while cooking in the shelter.

The rest of us common folk get by very nicely with a simple alchy stove and just boiling water.
    Last edited by Spokes; 03-25-2012 at 10:22.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LovingCooking View Post
    I have to agree with an earlier post. I would not want to try to make my own stove. There is a reason that they are sold in the stores in my opinion.
    stoves are so simple to make. the "stores" are usually just cottage industries that are mass produceing a homemade stove. jumping on the band wagon to make money off hikers and money is the only reason they are sold in these so called stores. if you choose to buy (i did, once i made enought to know what i wanted) do a search on google. there are many out there that don't stoop to the level of advertizing on forum threads.
    KK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++