WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

It was right on the pond in 1992 the first time I went through.

Sorry, that was Vondell shelter. I believe it was taken down due to too much litter and general abuse.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Three of us hiked most of LT section 3 on Columbus day weekend. We visited Stratton shelter before heading to the tenting area north of the lake.

The intersection:

Access to the north shore tenting area was re-routed due to flooding. It's a longer path now, but it's an easy and pretty walk.

Only 3 platforms, but there are plenty of areas available for pitching. Fires restricted to the central pit. It got down to the mid 20's, so we contributed plenty of wood to the communal supply and enjoyed the fire until about 10pm.

Journal Entries

Okay shelter, but not next to lake. Not really worth the $5 (not $6 as mentioned above), but nice if you tent. Too bad campsites are almost a mile off the trail. Beautiful views of the lake and surrounding mountains. Good spot for hikers descending Stratton later in the day.

Images

You only pay in the summer months. Another good reason to hike after Labor Day.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Osama Llama View Post
    Not really worth the $5 (not $6 as mentioned above), but nice if you tent.
    I'd say it's a bargain for all the good work the Green Mountain Club does. ...
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries

I didn't mean it like that. The GMC does GREAT work and I appreciate everything they do. I was just saying there are nicer shelter that are free. I had no problems donating $5. I am all for them and their work and I had a great stay there! Oh what a beautiful area that is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dsquid View Post
    Three of us hiked most of LT section 3 on Columbus day weekend. We visited Stratton shelter before heading to the tenting area north of the lake.
    I was there same weekend as you, Saturday 10/10 - Stratton-Arlington to the summit and back. Had to rush to get up and down fast enough to beat the dark - my first time up there, and I underestimated how much leaf-peeping traffic would slow me down from Brattleboro onward. Hiked the last half-mile or so back in the almost dark - used the Droid Light app on my then-new cell phone for the first time. Helpful!

Was crystal clear atop the tower at 5 pm, 38* F and about 35 mph NW steady. Was clear enough that day to see Mt. Washington and other Whites, but I only lingered long enough in the tower to take a few pics - good ones of Killington, Dorset and Equinox, but the sun, at a low angle, fouled the Greylock-ward photo, alas. The Dorset shot and one of me at the fire tower base can be seen in my gallery. The trip was an early birthday present to myself - my last name is Stratton, so it was special for me. Got my dad some VT maple syrup from a roadside store on the way home.

I didn't mean it like that. The GMC does GREAT work and I appreciate everything they do. I was just saying there are nicer shelter that are free. I had no problems donating $5. I am all for them and their work and I had a great stay there! Oh what a beautiful area that is.
    No worries. I hope to either tent or overnight at the pond in the next few months. Love that place - would even if it weren't a family namesake, do the moreso since it is.

There used to be a shelter right on the little peninsula on the north side of Stratton Pond. The Green Mountain Club realized that any environmental impact on or around the shore wound up in the pond, eventually. So low impact zones like tent platforms are still allowed closer to the water. High impact zones like shelters have been gradually moved farther away. There used to be a lean-to on the island in the middle of Little Rock Pond, too; also removed for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by sponia View Post
    There used to be a shelter right on the little peninsula on the north side of Stratton Pond. The Green Mountain Club realized that any environmental impact on or around the shore wound up in the pond, eventually. So low impact zones like tent platforms are still allowed closer to the water. High impact zones like shelters have been gradually moved farther away. There used to be a lean-to on the island in the middle of Little Rock Pond, too; also removed for the same reasons.
    I remember that going back to my first backpack - 1977, Rt. 30 south to Rt. 9.

I stayed at the current Stratton Pond Shelter on my 2007 LT thruhike. Brought back lots of memories. The pond was a delightful swim on a hot afternoon.

Images

Back in the 1980's Stratton Pond had 3 shelters -- Vondell, Bigelow and Stratton View. It was and continues to be the most popular overnite spot in southern Vermont.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Still got A.T. thrus coming by, Jeff, NOBO or SOBO? How late in season do you stay open? Do you keep going in order to accommodate leaf-peeping weekender and day hike traffic in the fall, or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Back in the 1980's Stratton Pond had 3 shelters -- Vondell, Bigelow and Stratton View. It was and continues to be the most popular overnite spot in southern Vermont.
    The first time I was there was in the mid-70's, maybe '74. At that time the AT/LT did not go over Stratton Mountain, it used the route that is currently the Stratton Pond Trail. From Stratton Pond the AT / LT went west to Bourn Pond along the current Lye Brook Trail, where there were two more shelters. North Bourn Pond Shelter was on a small peninsula that jutted into the Pond; a gorgeous setting. From Bourn Pond the trail went north on what is now the Branch Pond Trail past William Douglas Shelter and on to Prospect Rock. At the end of the Rootville Rd was Swezey Camp, often referred to as Sleazy Camp because it was in such disrepair.

At that time the GMC had recently started their caretaker program. The area around Stratton Pond was very heavily used and abused. The caretaker program and moving campers back from the shore of the pond has been very effective, and the area around the pond has improved amazingly over the years.

When we hiked through Bourn Pond in '74 there were Forest Service rangers there taking a survey of hiker use, as part of the study for the Lye Brook Wilderness designation, if I recall things correctly.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    The first time I was there was in the mid-70's, maybe '74. At that time the AT/LT did not go over Stratton Mountain, it used the route that is currently the Stratton Pond Trail. From Stratton Pond the AT / LT went west to Bourn Pond along the current Lye Brook Trail, where there were two more shelters. North Bourn Pond Shelter was on a small peninsula that jutted into the Pond; a gorgeous setting. From Bourn Pond the trail went north on what is now the Branch Pond Trail past William Douglas Shelter and on to Prospect Rock. At the end of the Rootville Rd was Swezey Camp, often referred to as Sleazy Camp because it was in such disrepair.

At that time the GMC had recently started their caretaker program. The area around Stratton Pond was very heavily used and abused. The caretaker program and moving campers back from the shore of the pond has been very effective, and the area around the pond has improved amazingly over the years.

When we hiked through Bourn Pond in '74 there were Forest Service rangers there taking a survey of hiker use, as part of the study for the Lye Brook Wilderness designation, if I recall things correctly.
    I'm glad you mentioned the AT's route then. At that time of my first section hike, I was in such poor shape that when I saw the blue-blazed side trail up Stratton Mountain, I was profoundly grateful that the AT stayed in the relatively flat lowlands.

And at that time, a permit was necessary to camp in the Lye Brook Wilderness.

Images

The $5 charge helps pay for the caretaker and upkeep on privies, etc. Without the caretaker there, it would be a trash dump in no time.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Stratton Pond is amazing! However, I had MAJOR issues with bugs when I passed through - no surprise, though, as it was May and frequently was raining in that section.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned the AT's route then. At that time of my first section hike, I was in such poor shape that when I saw the blue-blazed side trail up Stratton Mountain, I was profoundly grateful that the AT stayed in the relatively flat lowlands.

And at that time, a permit was necessary to camp in the Lye Brook Wilderness.
    I believe the Lye Brook Wilderness wasn't designated until 1975.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    I believe the Lye Brook Wilderness wasn't designated until 1975.
    Sounds right. I hiked there in '77 - remember stopping in the Forest Service office in Manchester for the permit.

Please can we get an update....Guthooks is saying things like "no tenting near shelter" and "tenting areas closed". I've been told things have been moved around, but if anyone has some detail I'd appreciate it. This tired old folk can't make this hike in one go, and will need to know she can camp somewhere. Thanks!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Please can we get an update....Guthooks is saying things like "no tenting near shelter" and "tenting areas closed". I've been told things have been moved around, but if anyone has some detail I'd appreciate it. This tired old folk can't make this hike in one go, and will need to know she can camp somewhere. Thanks!
    The area may still be officially closed for mud season, which should end this weekend. My guess is it has been in frequent use all along.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I remember this shelter from my 2015 flip-flop hike. Over used and over crowded.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++