WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default mama black bear with cubs attacks florida woman in her garage

I've read a few stories on this already, trying to get a picture as to what exactly happened, but as is typical it's hard to tell -- some reports even said that all five bears attacked, but I'm sure that's not the case. I know some people will think that it was a mother protecting her young, but that's not typical black bear behavior.

For now it seem like maybe the bear was startled and attacked out of fear, feeling trapped, but who knows maybe the reports may be revised to discount that; to be continued...

Images

[QUOTE I know some people will think that it was a mother protecting her young, but that's not typical black bear behavior.

...[/QUOTE] Not necessarily so....

While the element of suprise is certainly a major contributor to black bear attacks on humans , the PERCEIVED threat to a mama bears cubs can definitly cause sudden aggression toward that threat . Black mama bears are protective of their offspring and should never be underestimated , even if the likelyhood of a attack is small there is still no reason to flirt with the percentages.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

A case of a woman being caught off guard between a bear and it's food source (her garbage).

Initial reports said the woman had been attacked by five bears, but officials do not believe that's the case.

"As far as we know there was only one aggressive bear," Florida Fish and Wildlife Officer Lenny Salberg said during a press conference Sunday afternoon.
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7893060.story
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Glad the lady is ok! One does not expect typically to find Bears in their yard!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

I guess I missed it, but where in the article does it say that the bear that attacked was a Mama bear with cubs?

All I read was there were bears of different sizes and one of them attacked the lady.

I pray she recovers quickly with minimal long term effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I know some people will think that it was a mother protecting her young, but that's not typical black bear behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Not necessarily so....
    While the element of suprise is certainly a major contributor to black bear attacks on humans , the PERCEIVED threat to a mama bears cubs can definitly cause sudden aggression toward that threat . Black mama bears are protective of their offspring and should never be underestimated , even if the likelyhood of a attack is small there is still no reason to flirt with the percentages.
    [QUOTE

[/QUOTE]
    I said, "... not typical black bear behavior". It's a well documented fact that black bear mommas don't protect their offspring from humans; however, that's not to say they don't protect their offspring, it seems as though they rely more on the cubs hardwired instinct to climb a tree. However, that's not to say it would never happen, but it's very atypical. My primary point was that people will assume that as the only possible explanation of the attack, especially the way the article was written.

Bears will never find trash in my garbage; I'm so crazy about having a clean trash can that I wash it out even though nothing but clean stuff goes in there

"The bears were various sizes so we think it's probably cubs of different maturity and perhaps a mama bear," the Seminole County Sheriff's Office told ABC News.

with the way the media has become so sensationalist with every story, rushing to report before half of one detail has ever been confirmed, i take everything these days with a grain of salt, and figure the truth won't be sussed out for a week at least, and even then you have to stir things around and pick the most likely scenario of anything

could have well been a racoon in her trashcan

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    I guess I missed it, but where in the article does it say that the bear that attacked was a Mama bear with cubs?

All I read was there were bears of different sizes and one of them attacked the lady.

I pray she recovers quickly with minimal long term effects.
    I'm haven't read where any article came out and said it, but this is an excerpt from the OP's article; I highlighted areas that mention cubs:

Excerpt:

"The bears were various sizes so we think it's probably cubs of different maturity and perhaps a mama bear," the Seminole County Sheriff's Office told ABC News.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said there was at least one bear involved in the attack but couldn't corroborate the report that there had been five bears.

Frana managed to get inside the house, said her husband. Her son found her collapsed in the living room and called 911. She was then taken to a local hospital where she was treated for at least three bear bites and several cuts all over her body.

Frana was released from the hospital Sunday morning and is recovering at home, her husband said.
    Wildlife officials are concentrating on finding the bears, and put out traps and searched for them throughout the night.

The attack happened in an area 10 miles from where another woman, 54-year-old Susan Chalfant, was mauled by a black bear while walking her dogs last December.

Although there has been an increase in bear sightings in the area, in general, black bear attacks on humans are highly unusual and occur mainly when a bear feels her cubs are threatened, according to the Department of Natural Resources.

I know this has been posted on the forums before but here is a site with some info on bears in N America:

http://www.bear.org/website/

It is very atypical for black bears to "pounce". Bluff charge - yes, pounce - no.

I am glad that the woman was not more seriously hurt.

I find myself speculating that the bear might have been provoked. Maybe there is more to the story.

<speculation tag> What if the bear was being "chased away" from the delicious treats? Might it act like a wild animal? <end speculation tag>

Journal Entries

Yeah, mama bear runs cubs up a tree, then runs off into the bushes to hide. She dont attack. She might bluff.

What I heard on news, was bears were eating garbage. They might try to protect a food source. Some dogs will.

I'm familiar with the area where this happened. There are a number of bears that aren't afraid of humans due to easy trash pickins and bird feeders. Feel bad for the woman but this is purely a people problem.

Something I heard somewhere has always stuck with me. A bear can be chased off while trying to steal your food. Once he has it, it becomes HIS food and will defend it.

Florida wildlife officers shot one aggressive bear and euthanized three others last night. They said the mama bear didn't exhibit normal behavior.

http://www.newsherald.com

Default mama black bear with cubs attacks florida woman in her garage

it would surprise you how much wildlife is around the orlando metro area. we used to catch boars in my office parking lot in downtown winter park, not far from downtown orlando

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    I'm familiar with the area where this happened. There are a number of bears that aren't afraid of humans due to easy trash pickins and bird feeders. Feel bad for the woman but this is purely a people problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brer Sam View Post
    Florida wildlife officers shot one aggressive bear and euthanized three others last night. They said the mama bear didn't exhibit normal behavior....
    Lots of research indicates that bears that are acclimated to humans are usually less dangerous than bears in wilderness areas with little to no human exposure. This is consistent with the observation that the bear in this incident didn't exhibit normal behavior. Unfortunately, I suspect that the vast majority of people hearing these news broadcasts won't get that message.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker:1870523
    Glad the lady is ok! One does not expect typically to find Bears in their yard!
    They are actually very common in the Wekiva area just north of Orlando. I camp in the state park occasionally and on multiple stays have awoke to find fresh bear tracks in my site that weren't there when I turned in. My friend lives in the area and every couple of months snaps pics of one or two in or around his property. Although I do keep my weapon close at hand while sleeping, this is the first attack I have heard of in the 16 years I have lived in the Orlando area.

When watching this video, just fast forward to ~21-minute point; it starts over and you see more of the woman's description of what happened, than if you start at the very beginning. However, I still have questions, but regardless she should not have run.

I still find it very strange that playing dead with a blackbear is the wrong thing to do, but not so with the grizzly.

There's an interesting study going on with the lionfish http://theweek.com/article/index/259...-be-backfiring and it would be interesting to incorporate some of that with problem black bears in certain areas.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I still find it very strange that playing dead with a blackbear is the wrong thing to do, but not so with the grizzly.
    I believe it's a relatively simple numbers game...

A typical WILD black bear (i.e. one that is not over-weight from eating from dumpsters) weights about as much as a typical human. So while the bear still is stronger than a human, if you attempt to fight back, you have a chance of convincing the bear you're not worth the effort.

A typical grizzly bear is many times heavier and way much more stronger than a human. Fight back is futile. So your only choice is to play dead hoping the bear quits seeing you as a threat.

Put another way, a human against a black bear is like an SUV and a Mini-Cooper getting into an accident. A human against a grizzly bear is like an SUV and a bicycle getting into an accident.

I'm sure temperment also plays a part in it. But this is NOT the first time I've heard that mama black bears do not attack to protect their young. It seems that that is an attribute of mama grizzly bears that has been improperly attributed to black bears.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++