WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking For Friends - Southern MA to middle of Vermont, Last Two Weeks of May!

Hi Folks -

I'm heading out from South Egremont, Massachusetts on the 19th of May and heading north on the AT for two weeks exactly. I'm hoping to end up somewhere just south of the middle of Vermont. If anybody (male, female, young, old) on here has some spare time, feel free to join me on all or part of the trip! My pace tends to be around 18 miles a day - obviously adjusted for terrain and if I feel like stopping in towns. If you're interested, either reply to this thread, or send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number so we can talk more.

Phil

Images

rangerphil, myself and one of my sisters are gonna be takin off on may 18 from n.adams meting up with the other sister who lives in concord vt. both of em are'nt really hikers so it may be like torture for myself.I'm hopin to get about 15 miles a day out of em.1 sister went and bought an osprey bag, new sleeping bag and all the other gear she'll need fo the hike,keep your eyes out for a man in a kilt, maybe we could hook up and hike a bit out there.....peace...

You should call to make sure that stuff is not closed due to Mud season

"The State of Vermont closes all trails on state land including those on Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield from mid-April until Memorial Day weekend. Please do not hike in these fragile areas.
    • Also avoid: Stratton Mountain, Killington Peak, Lincoln Ridge (Mount Ellen to Appalachian Gap), Jay Peak."

http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60

It might be open, but folks should check beforehand
    Last edited by jakedatc; 05-05-2012 at 13:32.

Images

thanks jake I'm waiting to hear back from the GMC in regards to the mud season. I have a sister that lives in N.Concord VT and she had suggested I email them because the weather up there has been quite similar to ours and she hasn't had any mud really. but like I once heard plans are made to be changed, if I have to do Ma then vt like rangerphil I can. as long as I'm in the woods all is right with the world......peace....

Ya, I have a friend in Stowe who also says it is pretty dry there. Easier to find out for sure than get up there and be in a mess. i'd join you guys but i'm hopefully doing the whole LT later this summer so i want to do other things first

Cricket...sounds like a plan. I'll be seeing you out there hopefully!

RangerPhil

Images

yaeh rangerphil it looks like we'll be starting in ma. on the 18th probably some where around egermont rd. resupply probably in n.adams and just carry on into vt...happy trails..

Cricket - I should be about a day behind you, but I suspect I'll catch up somewhere after a couple of days. After day 2 I'm planning on cranking some pretty heavy miles. Are you going shelter to shelter or are you bringing a tent? I'm still undecided about whether to bring a tent or not - I'm hoping the shelters won't be full and I'd rather not carry the extra couple of pounds!

Images

the mileage depends on my sister, and we are bringing tents incase we feel like stealthing.

When do you think you will be doing the Ma/Vt border section right after Greylock into Seth Warner and Condon?
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerPhil View Post
    Hi Folks -

I'm heading out from South Egremont, Massachusetts on the 19th of May and heading north on the AT for two weeks exactly. I'm hoping to end up somewhere just south of the middle of Vermont. If anybody (male, female, young, old) on here has some spare time, feel free to join me on all or part of the trip! My pace tends to be around 18 miles a day - obviously adjusted for terrain and if I feel like stopping in towns. If you're interested, either reply to this thread, or send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number so we can talk more.

Phil

Images

me and my sister will probably be to ma/vt on 5/26 depending on her she's new to hiking so I'll be cutting back on mileage to be a good brother.

I'll be there on or around day 5 of my hike, so that should be sometime around Wednesday, the 23rd of May.

Have a great time. The trail in MA isn't too difficult and should be pretty well maintained this year since the weather has been great. A couple of suggestions - make sure you visit the cookie lady in Washington. It will be too early for her blueberries but it's a great, friendly place to rest. Also, the Catholic Church in Cheshire is hiker friendly and lets hikers sleep in the parish hall. It's comfy and a good place to rest up in advance of the hike up Greylock. We tackled this hike last year and will be with you in spirit!

Journal Entries
    Images

I'll be out in the area. Hopefully for a night or two but that depends on work and the son.

Where is said cookie lady? This sounds promising!

Journal Entries
    Images

Right on first paved road after Oct Mt shelter Northbound. First house on left. Really can't miss the place.
    Last edited by lemon b; 05-13-2012 at 10:33.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerPhil View Post
    Where is said cookie lady? This sounds promising!
    The Cookie Lady (Marilyn) and her husband live in Washington MA. When you are leaving October Mountain State Forest, you'll pass W. Branch Road - pretty much a dirt road. A mile after that, you'll come upon Pittsfield Road - a paved road which you'll have to cross to continue the trail. On that road, take a right and a few min down the road you'll see a sign for blueberry picking. You'll have arrived. Marilyn also operates a shuttle service so if you need a lift, she can probably drive you. Reasonable rates and a nice ole gal.

++ New Posts ++