WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    The only con I'm aware of is that it doesn't simmer or cook. It's really only good for boiling, although there are designs to make a SimmerCat, I haven't made one.
    http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html
    A Simmer Cat has one row of holes. A big advantage is it can hold more fuel and burn longer/slower, if that is your desire. Also, I found that if you us cut some short pieces of wire, bent in a "U" shape and drape over the rim of the stove, so that there is about a 1 mm gap between the stove and the pot, the heat output of the simmercat is greatly increased to be almost that of a supercat, giving nice dual use. Or just bring one of each as they cost and weigh very little.

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    I have a Jetboil--moved to a Soto Stove (3 oz.) using canister gas. My favorite--my Jetboil now collects dust.
    amen to soto use mine for 2 thru trips on the JMT planing on using mine again for this summer trips on the JMT and for the AT next year. Am planing on sending my canisters with my resupply boxes

Journal Entries

Jetboil is easier and more reliable. It's also bulkier IMO .

Alcohol is usually lighter, more convenient.

I prefer Jetboil of the two .

But I don't bring a stove on long hikes anymore. I eat ready to eat food only on trail: sandwiches, bagels, nuts, cheese and cured meats and dried fruits.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I guess before you settle on a stove, the most important thing to define is what you like to eat / drink and how you like to go about preparing it.
    That actually is the most important thing. Decide first what your cooking style is and what you want out of a stove, and then pick the stove.

As far as a Jetboil is concerned, the Jetboil is a far more versatile system than most people give it credit for. I've been able to get the flames to where I can do a lot of different types of cooking. See The New Jetboil Sol.

Eggs, prepared on a Jetboil:

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

Food is one of those things everybody needs and we all have our own opinions about. Meals are about my favorite thing on the trail, so I don't mind putting in a little extra time and effort (which translates into a little more weight in my food bag)into my meals. But some people can live off Pop-Tarts and beef jerky for days. I have had some really tasty meals in one pot on an Optimus Crux. This time out, I am looking at a homemade alky stove. Quiet, easy to resupply fuel, cheap to make etc...

Journal Entries
    Images

Ordered a kit from gravitygear. So I'll be finding out whats up with alcohol cooking pretty quick. How many oz's of fuel should one carry for a couple of days? Say boiling 24 oz's of water twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Ordered a kit from gravitygear. So I'll be finding out whats up with alcohol cooking pretty quick. How many oz's of fuel should one carry for a couple of days? Say boiling 24 oz's of water twice a day.
    8 ounces? That's a WAG, and likely overly generous. I don't know your setup, etc. That's how much I take for about 32 ounces twice a day, and usually bring some home. (I cook for two.)

I like being able to have a cup of tea if I want it without thinking about whether I'm going to run out of alcohol.

-FA

Journal Entries
    Images

I was out this past week, and to my dismay, my HEET alcohol got too cold to light on stove! I vaguely remember hearing about this warning, but I'd never been out when it was that cold to experience it first hand. I was able to put my 12oz soda bottle of HEET in my jacket pocket and warm it up over the next hour, and once it warmed up, I was able to use it to light my stove. It was too cold not to have a warm meal.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    I normally mark w/ a perm marker how many times I have boiled 2 cups of water per cannister. The average with the regulator on medium not wide open was between 17-20 uses before it's dead. So about 7oz (2 cans) thats about 34-40 times of use or 80 cups of boiled water.

I have always wondered how many uses I could get out of one! It seems like I have a ton of partially filled ones as I start section hikes with new ones. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    8 would be plenty for sure, my stove will boil 2 cups with about a half ounce.

So, do stores along the way sell it by the ounce? How much? Do I just pour it into a bottle that I carry for it?

I use a canister stove in the truck as I travel,a lot nicer then the old white gas stoves.I am going to guess that 80 cups of water is right as my canisters last a long time.I only use the stove every so often,plus I have 60+ canisters at home.Bulk = cheap.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by get wayaway View Post
    Pocket rocket uses canisters that can't be refilled, right? So, when you spend the fuel, you have to chuck the canister. But, as I understand it, you can't landfill them because they are pressurized. What do you do with the spent canisters? And, from what I've read, you probably get about 16 "meals" - boiling water out of a canister. Is that what you've experienced? Thanks for the input.
    Pocket Rocket and Jetboil canisters are steel - all you have to do is puncture the cylinder - REI has a key for that or use a nail and hammer. - I chuck them "over the fence" at the junk yard - where he keeps a stack of steel. This is a local higher end recycle' r in West Chester.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

When it's cold out, be sure to create a barrier between the alcohol stove and the ground. One way to do this is to place the stove on an upside down can.
    David Smolinski

Images

Mostly a weekend warrior here and a couple week long trips each year and most of my meals are ziplock meals...for that I love my Vargo & a Snow Peak Titanium mug with a lid that was cut from a tin can. You will want an aluminum foil wind screen. I always keep a couple Esbit tablets in my first aid kit just in case. I keep my alcohol in a small plastic dropper marked with how many uses left. The dropper is clear so I can easily see how many heats I have left. Generally I only heat dinner.
    “Well, I'm walkin' down the line.
    I'm walkin' down the line!
    An' I'm walkin' down the line,
    my feet'll be a-flyin',
    to tell about my troubled mind.”
    - Bob Dylan

Images

I have a pocket rocket and it frankly scares the crap out of me. You are cooking on top of your fuel. My fear is how much heat is my pan reflecting back onto the canister??? Maybe I'm just paranoid....I'm sure these companies have tested these stoves intensely, but it makes me awful uncomfortable thinking about cooking on a pressurized bomb...
    “Well, I'm walkin' down the line.
    I'm walkin' down the line!
    An' I'm walkin' down the line,
    my feet'll be a-flyin',
    to tell about my troubled mind.”
    - Bob Dylan

Images

Look at which stove long distance hikers use the most. I think the numbers are skewed way over to alcohol stoves. Lighter, simpler, easier to get fuel for.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have a Montauk Gnat canister stove (1.7 oz), which I use with a Snow Peak 600 ml ti mug w/ Mini Bull cover (3 oz). It simmers well, takes up almost no pack space, and, when combined with fuel weight, it weighs less than alcohol for anything other than a long weekend hike.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

BobW, I have a pocket rocket and it frankly scares the crap out of me. You are cooking on top of your fuel. My fear is how much heat is my pan reflecting back onto the canister??? Maybe I'm just paranoid....I'm sure these companies have tested these stoves intensely, but it makes me awful uncomfortable thinking about cooking on a pressurized bomb...
    If worried about the canister, check it: the canister should be cool enough to touch.

My canister stove is the SOTO OD-1R with their optional SOTO Micro Windscreen. I like the fact it has a steady flame (no sputtering) until the canister is empty. The temperature control is so excellent, I use it with my Outback Oven Ultralight I attentively keep in the BAKE zone.

I like my .8L Sol Titanium Cooking System. I really like it for hot water right now. Even so, I only take it backpacking when I know I will have otherwise lightweight and low volume gear inside my backpack.

For long-distance hiking and camping, the mini Fancee Feest, Vargo Titanium 750 Sierra, Guyot Designs (spatula only) and Snow Peak Short Spork do it all. The mini Fancee Feest is available on request. Most people use the full-size Fancee Feest alcohol fuel stove. I have a titanium windscreen like this sized right for this stove and cookware optimum efficiency.

For everyday hiking and camping, I like my Woodgaz Folding Backpacking Stove and Super Stove.

For melting snow, the Woodgaz Folding Backpacking Stove and Companion Stove.

I prefer zelph's wick alcohol stoves that fill easily, do not spill easily, and do not need to "bloom" and will not flareup. This is because I do not want alcohol fuel burning me, my gear, or burning across the ground.

I've built a cat stove and tested the boil time on it with varying results, depending on the climate(temp/wind).

But, for all of the talk about speed to boil, and who cares if it takes an extra couple of minutes.. I agree. The time to boil doesn't necessarily play into my preference, but what does is the setup and safety aspect...

I feel the jetboil is more stable in regards to feeling comfortable with lighting it up, and walking away for a minute, while I'm going about packing or unpacking gear, knowing it isn't likely to get knocked over.

Also, in times of bad/rainy weather, I'm not comfortable using a catstove in my tent.

But for a through hike, I may consider the CAT instead, as I wouldn't want to get caught with not being able to re-supply my canisters.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++