WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Super moon once in a lifetime this weekend<<<<<<<<

Grasp this pebble.... Super Moon I have only seen it once when I was ten - occurs once 10 - 25 years....

Must be seen at moon rise - use a clear night and Sun droid app ..This is not a blue moon... a thing of the past.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_837220.html

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Thanks for posting this. Moonlight paddle or night hiking? That is going to be the question to ponder this week.

AT 2012

wow. i'll be in virginia hiking north from buena vista... 8pm moon rise saturday evening, 5:35 moon set sunday morning in waynesboro. thank you so much.
    Lazarus

AT 2012

wow. i just spent 99 cents to upgrade to droid moon phase pro and i am even more excited. thanks again.
    Lazarus

Journal Entries
    Images

Not to rain on anyone's parade but this moon will look the same as any other. No larger and no smaller.

Images

Ehm! The Huffington Post was dated: 03/18/11 (Last year). I was out camping that weekend with clear skies. It did look larger, and was prehaps the most stunning full moon I have seen in my lifetime. But it was 13 and a half months ago.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

full moon happens every month

The moon should appear brighter this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Ehm! The Huffington Post was dated: 03/18/11 (Last year). I was out camping that weekend with clear skies. It did look larger, and was prehaps the most stunning full moon I have seen in my lifetime. But it was 13 and a half months ago.
    Yep, it was last year.
    If the search function would show me I'd share where it was discussed.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

The one for this year is discussed here:
    http://space.brevardtimes.com/2012/0...day-may-5.html

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida -- The 2012 Super Moon, the largest and brightest full moon for 2012, will occur this Saturday, May 5, 2012. This full moon will be only about 221,567 miles (356,578 km) from Earth. The average distance between the Earth and the moon is about 238,000 miles (383,024 km). The furthest point away is about 254,000 miles (408,773 km).

So the moon on May 5, 2012 at 11:35 Eastern Daylight Time will be around 17,000 miles (27,359 km) closer than usual as it rounds Earth in its elliptical orbit. The technical term is perigee-syzygy. A popularized term is "super moon."

A full moon at its closest point to Earth definitely will be big and bright. But it won't look much, if any, different than a "normal" full moon and will not have any readily observable effect on our planet except perhaps slightly higher tides.

While many fear that a supermoon could cause 2012 apocalyptic catastrophes on Earth such as volcanoes, earthquakes, and tidal waves due to the increased gravitational pool of the supermoon, NASA officials say that the effects on Earth from a supermoon are minor, and according to the most detailed studies by terrestrial seismologists and volcanologists, the combination of the moon being at its closest to Earth in its orbit.

Being in its 'full moon' configuration (relative to the Earth and sun), the gravitational pull should not affect the internal energy balance of the Earth since there are lunar tides every day. The Earth has stored a tremendous amount of internal energy within its thin outer shell or crust, and the small differences in the tidal forces exerted by the moon (and sun) are not enough to fundamentally overcome the much larger forces within the planet due to convection (and other aspects of the internal energy balance that drives plate tectonics).
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Well I went outside last night,a couple a few times.......no luck,to cloudy......how bout you? anybody.......,will try again tonight

Thanks for posting story Woo

Images

We live up on a hillside with a very clear and open view of the moonrise and while the moon was full and bright, it was a hardly a "super moon" of any kind. I've seen that once when we lived in AZ in the mid-90s. This wasn't anything like that one.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Had clouds here. Oh well, this 'once in a lifetime' event last happened in 2011 and will happen again next year.

super moon.jpgFull moon not withstanding I still only slept 4 hours.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    super moon.jpgFull moon not withstanding I still only slept 4 hours.
    Wow that is soooo cool,i set it as my desk top! hope thats ok Moytoy

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Wow that is soooo cool,i set it as my desk top! hope thats ok Moytoy
    yep...it's not mine but has no restrictions.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

One interesting thing I heard about the size of the moon is;measure the moon across the face while it is at the horizon,now measure across the face when it is at the zenith or straight over head.....they measure the same width,but appears larger at the horizon do to having something in the foreground,and not having anything to do with the atmosphere or gravity,curvature of earth....I did not no this,thought it was the atmosphere.Have not done it yet.

Images

Good job Moytoy ... I was out on the prarie. By the time the clouds cleared it was already up.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    yep...it's not mine but has no restrictions.
    Cool..............

Images

Good job Moytoy. I was out on the prarie. By the time the clouds cleared it was already up.

I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++