WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default AT Unsupported Speed Record Attempt

I was planning a 75 day unsupported AT thru-hike.. then I looked up the record and it is 60.5 days.
    I haven't decided if i'm going to go for it or not. I REALLY want too!
    "Teufel Hunden"

Just go out and do what you can do.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Hike it a couple times, and then go for the record.

The guy who hiked the AT unsupported in 60.5 days, Ward Leonard, had done a TON of miles on the AT beforehand -- he hiked the trail three times just in that one record setting year! The guy who owns the unsupported record for the Pacific Crest Trail, Scott Williamson, was hiking it for the umpteenth time when he did it. The woman who just set the record for a supported AT hike, Jen Pharr, was thru-hiking the AT for the third time. The guy who had the record before her, Pete Palmer (edit: the person I was trying to describe here is Andrew Thompson, not Pete Palmer, as LW pointed out in a subsequent post), had made at least two attempts before he set that record. I hope you see the trend here. Treat your first long hike on the AT as an enjoyable learning experience.
    Last edited by map man; 05-03-2012 at 21:42.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    The guy who hiked the AT unsupported in 60.5 days, Ward Leonard, had done a TON of miles on the AT beforehand -- he hiked the trail three times just in that one record setting year! The guy who owns the unsupported record for the Pacific Crest Trail, Scott Williamson, was hiking it for the umpteenth time when he did it. The woman who just set the record for a supported AT hike, Jen Pharr, was thru-hiking the AT for the third time. The guy who had the record before her, Pete Palmer, had made at least two attempts before he set that record. I hope you see the trend here. Treat your first long hike on the AT as an enjoyable learning experience.
    ^ Because it will make a difference! ^
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    The guy who hiked the AT unsupported in 60.5 days, Ward Leonard, had done a TON of miles on the AT beforehand -- he hiked the trail three times just in that one record setting year! The guy who owns the unsupported record for the Pacific Crest Trail, Scott Williamson, was hiking it for the umpteenth time when he did it. The woman who just set the record for a supported AT hike, Jen Pharr, was thru-hiking the AT for the third time. The guy who had the record before her, Pete Palmer, had made at least two attempts before he set that record. I hope you see the trend here. Treat your first long hike on the AT as an enjoyable learning experience.
    pete palmer got the record in his first attempt. andy thompson took a few attempts

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tenn_hiker View Post
    I was planning a 75 day unsupported AT thru-hike.. then I looked up the record and it is 60.5 days.
    I haven't decided if i'm going to go for it or not. I REALLY want too!
    "Want to" and can are two completely different thing. Just out of curiosity... What is your longest distance day and elevation gain?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

HUGE difference between a 75 day hike and a 60 day hike
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

And now I remember why I usually don't post things on here..
    "Teufel Hunden"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tenn_hiker View Post
    And now I remember why I usually don't post things on here..
    Well, you could have announced that you were going to do it closer to your start and said you thought you had a good chance because you're in really good shape and/or have a lot of willpower. Then the rest of us would sit back and wait for signs of your inevitable failure to break the record. That usually happens on day 1. You'd be one of many that hit the trail without the experience that are doomed to failure.

The record is very tough to beat right now, and I don't believe any amount of physical fitness or willpower can allow the record to be broken without a good deal of experience. Now if you don't necessarily have to have that experience yourself, but it means having a really good support team that can give you tips on how to waste the least amount of time in camp/town, carry the least amount of weight, how to cope with closures and fires, deal with illness or injuries and all the other things that come with a great deal of experience. You can't afford to make many small mistakes.

The A.T. speed record is about 47 days and completed by Jennifer Pharr Davis, trail name Odyssa. I think that was her third attempt but not sure.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hers was supported. This is unsupported.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Tenn_Hiker,

No need to get too discouraged by the feedback you read on this forum. A lot of this is sound advice and can be treated as warm-up practice to combating the inevitable negative voices encountered inside one's head after yet another 36+ mile painful rain-soaked day on the trail...

The reasons for quitting are nearly infinite: any new unsupported/self-supported record will be recognized by only a small minority of those who care about these records in the first place. The tremendous feat of thru-hiking the trail in sub-60 days is destined to always be a footnote to the higher-profile FKT (which I believe will remain a supported record).

Your interest in this 20 year old record admirable and should be pursued. Just please be sure to document your attempt. There are some good suggestions for doing so on Peter Bakwin's FKT site.

-Matt

I think a good benchmark for the unsupported record would be to hike to Pearisburg in 25 days, which is an average of 25 miles per day. If you can reach Pearisburg in 25 days, you have a shot...go back to Springer and start north.

The jump from 25-36 would not be nearly as bad as the jump from training to 25 per day in my view, plus you would get your trail quirkks worked out, like blisters, shin-splints, etc...take a week off and do some light maintenence training and go for it! Furthermore, the run to Pearisburg would prepare you for this feat, you might find after averaging 25/day you are no longer interested in going for Ward's record.

Good luck, a guy called Gailee Man from Israel came very close recently on his first hike, very close, he has a trail journal you can read.

is Gailee man the one that stoled someones hat at carter notch hut? someone ran him down and ask why he took it, and he replyed "cause i needed one" i apoligize if it was someone else.
    on another note i followed his record attempt the best i could, i thought he was well off the pace and then the journal entrys came less often and his mileage picked way up in new england, im probably wrong but something seemed a little off. please correct me if im way off base, i was writing down his daily milage from his journal, if someone has his itinerary please post it. i don't remember actually seeing the day to day progress after vermont or something like that, just that he finished and it was like 10 days less than i thought it would be. sorry if im wrong! no yellows or blues on a record attempt please :-)
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 05-04-2012 at 19:44.

You might have company. This guy is going to try to break the supported record. http://www.sportiva.com/live/live-ar...record-attempt

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Tenn_Hiker,

No need to get too discouraged by the feedback you read on this forum. A lot of this is sound advice and can be treated as warm-up practice to combating the inevitable negative voices encountered inside one's head after yet another 36+ mile painful rain-soaked day on the trail...

The reasons for quitting are nearly infinite: any new unsupported/self-supported record will be recognized by only a small minority of those who care about these records in the first place. The tremendous feat of thru-hiking the trail in sub-60 days is destined to always be a footnote to the higher-profile FKT (which I believe will remain a supported record).

Your interest in this 20 year old record admirable and should be pursued. Just please be sure to document your attempt. There are some good suggestions for doing so on Peter Bakwin's FKT site.

-Matt
    Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to look at that sight. I'll comment back on this post when I know for sure if i'm going to try it or not.. and I know that no one really cares about the record.. it's more of a personal thing, to see what I can do and push my self a little bit. If I fail, then I fail.. no big deal to me
    "Teufel Hunden"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    is G-man the one that stoled someones hat at carter notch hut? someone ran him down and ask why he took it, and he replyed "cause i needed one" i apoligize if it was someone else.
    on another note i followed his record attempt the best i could, i thought he was well off the pace and then the journal entrys came less often and his mileage picked way up in new england, im probably wrong but something seemed a little off. please correct me if im way off base,
    Must be someone else. I was a PCT thru last year, trailname Malto. And take my face off the wanted poster, I have plenty of hats.

tenn_hiker,
    No offense meant in my remarks. There have been so many "record attempter" over the last couple of years that don't have a prayer of even finishing a trail let alone carry a pace like they have planned in their excel spreadsheet. I was giving you an opportunity to share why you should be taken seriously when so many before you have been delusional. There were many that told me that my PCT fast hike wasn't possible and that I better have a plan B. That just increased my motivation to prepare and train and may have been the difference between success and failure. Regardless of whether you are doing a record attempt or not I documented a lot of the learnings that I had from my training and actual hike here:

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=20018

There may be a couple of useful nuggets in there for you.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    I think a good benchmark for the unsupported record would be to hike to Pearisburg in 25 days, which is an average of 25 miles per day. If you can reach Pearisburg in 25 days, you have a shot...go back to Springer and start north.

The jump from 25-36 would not be nearly as bad as the jump from training to 25 per day in my view, plus you would get your trail quirkks worked out, like blisters, shin-splints, etc...take a week off and do some light maintenence training and go for it! Furthermore, the run to Pearisburg would prepare you for this feat, you might find after averaging 25/day you are no longer interested in going for Ward's record.

Good luck, a guy called Gailee Man from Israel came very close recently on his first hike, very close, he has a trail journal you can read.
    Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    Must be someone else. I was a PCT thru last year, trailname Malto. And take my face off the wanted poster, I have plenty of hats.

tenn_hiker,
    No offense meant in my remarks. There have been so many "record attempter" over the last couple of years that don't have a prayer of even finishing a trail let alone carry a pace like they have planned in their excel spreadsheet. I was giving you an opportunity to share why you should be taken seriously when so many before you have been delusional. There were many that told me that my PCT fast hike wasn't possible and that I better have a plan B. That just increased my motivation to prepare and train and may have been the difference between success and failure. Regardless of whether you are doing a record attempt or not I documented a lot of the learnings that I had from my training and actual hike here:

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=20018

There may be a couple of useful nuggets in there for you.
    cool, thanks for the link!
    "Teufel Hunden"

Idk why it quoted that other guy too..?
    "Teufel Hunden"

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++