WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: VA in May

:banana VA in May

I am planning to do Bland to Troutville in Virginia beginning May 10, about 15 miles per day. Would like a mature hiking partner of any gender. Any takers?
    Katie

Too bad I can't start until the 20th and will be doing Marion north for about 3 weeks. There should be pleanty of thru-hikers scattered around the area, so you won't be lonely. I'd like to start earlier, but I have a convention in Dayton to attend the 17th to 19th.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hi Katie,

that is more or less my plan to start in VA in Mid-May and then heading to Maine. From my experience, I will probably a bit moody in the first 5 to 10 days and I will definitely start slowly with approximately ten miles a day the first week slowly increasing to 15 to 18 - depending on shelters, etc.
    How many miles is it from Troutville to Mt Katahdin?

I want to start in mid-may because I will probably not get a visa earlier and I think I don't need the thrill of a full hike.

I dunno what you mean by a mature hiker?!?! In terms of experience, I have never walked such a long trail, I only did the St James way in Spain (500 miles) but that's not really comparable.

Mario

1,458.2miles as of 2009 from troutvegas to the big k

Thanks a lot!

Default Mid-May backpacking

Hi, I was also thinking about backpacking in mid-may around the same general area that you are planning to backpack in. I have been hiking the appalachian trail my entire life, but have only been backpacking twice. Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks

How early in May can you go? Are you available around May 14 to hike in VA?Send me a PN and we will seeif we can work something out.
    Katie

Journal Entries

A freind and I are going to Start at further south at 1-40 at Standing Bear on the 11th and going to Erwin, TN. About 12 miles per day....I know it is farther south but we are looking for more to join us.
    Tridavis

Images

Katie, too bad you're not going to be farther north. I'm doing Maryland at about 12-15 miles a day starting May 18 or 19. Right now the group looks to have two guys and two gals, all "mature" (meaning 40s, 50s, 60s) and experienced backpackers (though one gal has only done single-night outings so far).

I did Bland-to-Daleville/Troutville last summer in two hikes. I recommend a stop at Wood's Hole Hostel, for sure. Also, you can get a great cheeseburger or get a pizza at Trent's Grocery on Hwy 606, one-half mile west from the Kimberling Creek suspension bridge. North of Pearisburg if you get a chance, take the zip line across the creek at The Captain's Place and visit a bit with the Captain. Great guy and you can camp there if you want.

Have a great hike!

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 04-19-2012 at 09:02.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I am starting May 10 at carvers gap TN and going to Denis cove road. About 10-14 mile days, but the last day will only be 6 into dennis cove rd.

i'll be doing N-S Bland (US 52) to VA 670. It's my trail club's (PATH) section of maintained trail from may 25-28 roughly 64.1 miles. If anyone is interested, I'm game for S-N as well.

Images

Rain Man-- you do the coolest section hikes! I wish I could join your troupe!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Katie, too bad you're not going to be farther north. I'm doing Maryland at about 12-15 miles a day starting May 18 or 19. Right now the group looks to have two guys and two gals, all "mature" (meaning 40s, 50s, 60s) and experienced backpackers (though one gal has only done single-night outings so far).

I did Bland-to-Daleville/Troutville last summer in two hikes. I recommend a stop at Wood's Hole Hostel, for sure. Also, you can get a great cheeseburger or get a pizza at Trent's Grocery on Hwy 606, one-half mile west from the Kimberling Creek suspension bridge. North of Pearisburg if you get a chance, take the zip line across the creek at The Captain's Place and visit a bit with the Captain. Great guy and you can camp there if you want.

Have a great hike!

RainMan

Lead me to the long green tunnel.

I am going from Damascus, VA to Pearisburg, VA starting on Friday May 4th, will be taking about 10 days to get it done 15-18 miles per day

Images

Starting May 19th and hikng north about 90+ miles to Rockfish Gap.

Images

I am doing from Damascus to hopefully Pearisburg in May. Starting after traildays on the 20th and hope to end on June 1st or 2nd. My brother('06 keystone) will be joining me for the first week then I'm pushing on for a week after he heads home.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Journal Entries
    Images

A fellow wisconsinite on the AT??! I'm originally from near Green Bay, but live just outside of Bland. I have to work the weekend (Fri-Monday), but if you need a shuttle send me a message and I'll help anyway I can!

Not Sunshine
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

++ New Posts ++