WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bear attack Roan Mountain Area???????

does any body know anything about a bear attack in Roan Mountain this year? a friend i hike with told me about it, but i can't find anything on it, so i thought i would ask here. i also did a couple of searches here and didn't find anything, so i don't know how true this is.

we are fixing to hike Roan this weekend are the bears more active than normal up there this year? we were just there the first of May and didn't see a bear or any signs of bear.

I just returned from a 16 day backpacking trip in TN and on the last day I went out to my evacuation pick-up point and checked on my food and emergency Thermarest cache and found a hungry black bear had got a hold of my two BearVaults and rolled them down a hill and left gnaw marks on everything. I followed his trail thru the brush and located the two scattered Vaults and then went back up and found my stashed Thermarest chewed up and shredded. Here are the fotogs:

Are the bears more active this year? Doubt it, I can't fault a bear for wanting to investigate his territory.

wow! i hike the Roan area A LOT and never really had any problems. i'm not worried about them but it's always good to be up to date on how they are behaving for the year and area i'm going into. i know the Roan area has a pretty good number of bears it's always nice to know if they are more active than normal. knowing is half the battle, yo joe

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I am not living around Roan anymore. But I have never heard or seen a bear around there. Then last report I heard of a bear altercation on Roan was back in the 80s.

I know there are bears around Watauga Lake/Pond Mountain areas.

Then again its getting into berry season on Roan right now.

Tipi: What was your cache location?
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

This is probably bad info. I have been in the Club that maintains that area for three years and have never once heard of even a bear encounter on Roan Mountain itself.

There has been some bear activity at Watauga Lake Shelter which is about 60 miles north of Roan Mountain.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    I am not living around Roan anymore. But I have never heard or seen a bear around there. Then last report I heard of a bear altercation on Roan was back in the 80s.

I know there are bears around Watauga Lake/Pond Mountain areas.

Then again its getting into berry season on Roan right now.

We are on the same page Benny!
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

thanks guys i figured this was bad info. i've hiked the Roan area a lot and never seen a Bear, seen signs but that's it. saw where one clawed up a tree, but no worries. and yes the Watauga Lake area is a hairy spot for bears, i try to haul tail when moving through there, usually try not to camp there

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post

It was in the Cherokee NF in Tennessee. If I give the exact location the govt Bear Police will probably come out with murder in their eyes.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Late last October I ran into a bear hunter on the south side of Roan but he wasn't having much luck finding any traces of bear and his dogs had run off down the mountain.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

A few weeks ago some hikers told me they saw a bear on Roan. I believe it was around the shelter. I saw them the day after at Stan Murray and they did not make it out to be an 'attack', just that they saw a bear.

I reckon a bear could be just about anywhere on the trail.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

We just did Roan > just 'north' of 19E. No bears. Lots of chipmunks though. And, yes, the berries were starting to become toddlers.

Quote Originally Posted by left turn View Post
    does any body know anything about a bear attack in Roan Mountain this year? a friend i hike with told me about it, but i can't find anything on it, so i thought i would ask here. i also did a couple of searches here and didn't find anything, so i don't know how true this is.

we are fixing to hike Roan this weekend are the bears more active than normal up there this year? we were just there the first of May and didn't see a bear or any signs of bear.
    Most likely it happened on Monday and it was a Bare Attack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I just returned from a 16 day backpacking trip in TN and on the last day I went out to my evacuation pick-up point and checked on my food and emergency Thermarest cache and found a hungry black bear had got a hold of my two BearVaults and rolled them down a hill and left gnaw marks on everything. I followed his trail thru the brush and located the two scattered Vaults and then went back up and found my stashed Thermarest chewed up and shredded. Here are the fotogs:

Are the bears more active this year? Doubt it, I can't fault a bear for wanting to investigate his territory.
    so that's what the inside of a thermarest looks like.......always wondered.

sorry you had to be the one to show me, walter
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    so that's what the inside of a thermarest looks like.......always wondered.

sorry you had to be the one to show me, walter
    BTW, I wonder if anyone would be interested in buying a used Prolite 4 large pad, never used and dropped only once . . . . . by a black bear. Field tested and will still hold air once patched. Fast And Light patch kit included.

I just returned from a 16 day backpacking trip in TN and on the last day I went out to my evacuation pick-up point and checked on my food and emergency Thermarest cache
    The most interesting part of your story was that you have a Thermarest cache.

That is remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    The most interesting part of your story was that you have a Thermarest cache.

That is remarkable.
    Why is it remarkable?

Images

BTW, I wonder if anyone would be interested in buying a used Prolite 4 large pad, never used and dropped only once . . . . . by a black bear. Field tested and will still hold air once patched. Fast And Light patch kit included.
    Send it back for patching? Return to REI?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

This may be what you're talking about. http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...,3997583.story

An idiot from my town in CT apparently approached a bear for a better photo and got bitten on the foot. Result - the bear was euthanized and the guy was arrested. Do you think they got it right?
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

I hiked from Carver's Gap across the balds to 19E last weekend.
    We did not see tracks, scat or any sign of bears through there.
    We did see some rare Gray's Lilys in full bloom and a good crop of
    berries are about to ripen (next week or two?).

++ New Posts ++