WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recurring hamstring strain, PCT in 3 weeks

I'm an AT alumus (NOBO 2009), and have plans to hike the PCT starting in 3 weeks. Last summer I hurt my hamstring while working a job that involved some intensive backpacking. It was just a minor strain, and I've never experienced anything worse than tightness and mild pain. I'm worried, however, because over the last several weeks I've been going on weekend backpacking trips, and the injury has just resurfaced. I only have 3 weeks until my flight leaves for San Diego! I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has begun a thru-hike with a strained hamstring, and how it fared over your hike. Is there any chance it could improve with time on the trail, or will it only worsen?? Any advice on what I can do to help it over the next few weeks would also be appreciated!

Thanks!!

If I were you I would be doing hamstring stretches every morning and night. Not to the point of making them hurt. Start out slow and careful but get them stretched and loose as possible before your hike. Continue the stretch routines during your hike.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

you should be stretching every muscle group in your legs. standing quad stretch. toe touches. toe pulls (for your calves). stretch your butt, etc.

often, hamstring injuries are the result of an under-balanced hamstring versus the an overdeveloped quad muscle. just like how shin splints often come from too-strong calves. both injuries can be avoided if you stretch out the tight and overbalanced muscle.

A heating pad just prior to streaching helped me,warm moist heat with a very damp towel.

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

Also you should take some kind of wrap or support for you hamstring as you stop and rest stretch out you legs good luck I just may see you on the John Muir Trail

Images

Foam roll that muscle. If you don't have a foam roller, get one asap. You can buy or even make one. To make one, get a 3" PVC downpipe from your hardware store. Then get a Wallyworld blue foam pad and wrap it around it...it will be 5-6" in diameter. That'd cost <$15.

I injured a leg muscle in 2009. I rested, stretched, and did other exercises, but couldn't do deep squats again, even almost two years later. Not until I started massaging it with a foam roller. After a couple weeks the pain was finally gone and I could do deep squats again.

Now if you're made out of money, find the best ART practitioner in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Foam roll that muscle. If you don't have a foam roller, get one asap. You can buy or even make one. To make one, get a 3" PVC downpipe from your hardware store. Then get a Wallyworld blue foam pad and wrap it around it...it will be 5-6" in diameter. That'd cost <$15.

I injured a leg muscle in 2009. I rested, stretched, and did other exercises, but couldn't do deep squats again, even almost two years later. Not until I started massaging it with a foam roller. After a couple weeks the pain was finally gone and I could do deep squats again.

Now if you're made out of money, find the best ART practitioner in your area.
    That is a very interesting site,thank you for posting,I had not heard of this before.

++ New Posts ++