WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Is carrying a Leatherman useless?

I thought of carrying the Leatherman Style PS for my thru-hike (see link below). It's only 1.58 oz. It seems a set of pliers might come in handy for jammed or off track zippers, as well as a pair of scissors for tape, opening bags, and mustache trimming (I know this sounds ridiculously OCD, but it really does bother me). Is it really worth the extra weight? What do you think?

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Style_PS

Looks like a pretty cool tool. I'd take it. 1.58oz? That's nothing.

I gave up on them way back. Seems all the well meaning family members think they are the perfect gift for an outdoors person. I do carry a hemostat, great for those stubborn or broken zippers, and as a third hand when making repairs.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

I'm planning to take the style cs on my thru this year. I personally like having the scissors. I'm tempted to just take a razor blade but I've always carried some form of Leatherman in the past and this looks like a good tool.

I always take a leatherman micra. Love it
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

I carried the Leatherman Squirt PS4 on my VA section last year and found it very handy. It's only 2oz and will definitely be coming with me on my thru hike this year.

Depends on what you're doing- thru hiking or car camping?

That's a tempting tool. No blade to get it called a weapon (like my tiny Swiss Army Knife). Good for air travelers, teachers, etc. Now, how will I cut the cheese?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

You won't be able to fly with these one you or in carry-on either.

Garlic
    Images

If you think you might need any of the tools, by all means carry it. I stopped carrying a multitool when I realized I wasn't carrying anything any more that needed a tool to fix. I have tweezers, a razor blade, needle and thread, duct tape. I don't have tent poles, a pack frame, a filter, or even a stove--nothing with metal or moving parts. If you carry that stuff, you might need a tool to work on it.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    That's a tempting tool. No blade to get it called a weapon (like my tiny Swiss Army Knife). Good for air travelers, teachers, etc. Now, how will I cut the cheese?

That killed it for me - leave it at home..... Had it had one it would have been better than swiss cheeze. I own and use a full Leatherman at work - otherwise it stays home. Its a Back of Car Camp Tool.

Spring-action Needlenose Pliers--- no needs
    Spring-action Regular Pliers------picking up the hot pot of boiling water.... thats it....
    Spring-action Wire Cutters --- no needs...
    Scissors - cutting nails and digging out fungal cheeze and sock fuzz.
    Flat/Phillips Screwdriver - I can't think of any hiking equipment that still has a screw - Maybe the stove everything today is bonded, welded, clipped on. etc.
    Nail File - I have great looking nails and never used one..... must be a salesman thing...
    Tweezers - Yup good for ticks and splinters....
    Carabiner/Bottle Opener - most American beer is twist off. And you can pry a cap off with a good knife.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I carry a small leatherman type tool, I use the pliers to pull tent stakes out of hard ground, the knife to open my vacuum sealed food, and cut mole skin, and the phillips head to occasionally tighten my poles. I find a need for it, but I guess men can use their teeth or their big strong hands!! Carry what you need, don't let other people tell you what you need.

Images

I carry a multi-tool of some sort. I don't recall ever finding a use for it on the trail. Problem is that my tool addiction is stronger than my gram weanieness. I'm fairly sure that having the tool is what keeps all my stuff from breaking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by xokie View Post
    I carry a multi-tool of some sort. I don't recall ever finding a use for it on the trail. Problem is that my tool addiction is stronger than my gram weanieness. I'm fairly sure that having the tool is what keeps all my stuff from breaking.
    this is a cardinal rule, dont bring a knife or tool and you will surely need one.
    bring it, and it sits in the pack. I carry a swiss army knife, and Im still waiting to use the awl as well as the phillips head.
    but in the meantime, just having it keeps things from breaking.

I think it might be a bit context sensitive. For long distance solo hiking, a small knife with scissors is sufficient, bonus that mine includes a little tweezers (0.8 oz Wenger 'Esquire', http://www.rei.com/product/826756/we...iss-army-knife). But of late I've been leading snowshoe trips; given that folks show up with a variety of types and brands of snowshoes, I'm now carrying my relatively heavy leatherman for those trips in case something goes wrong. Possible help for a limited set of trekking poles too (my old black diamonds have screw-adjusted flicklocks, plus just in general fiddling with recalcitrant poles can on occasion use a little tool-aid).

So for me I guess it's 95+ % of the time a tiny knife is plenty, but it makes sense to carry a multi-tool once in a while. The tool that the OP gave a link for would be attractive to me for this limited use if I didn't already own a big honking 6 oz leatherman tool. Doesn't bother me to lug that for snowshoe dayhikes that I'm leading.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Carry a needle and some dental floss for thread. I used that way more than I ever wished for pliers or other tools. For a knife I used the classic swiss army knife.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

IMG_2986.JPGIf you make these you might need one...IMG_2986.JPGIMG_2986.JPGIMG_2986.JPGIMG_2986.JPG

Images

Don't know how that happened.....

It says on Leatherman website that this one is TSA compliant

Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    It says on Leatherman website that this one is TSA compliant
    I wouldn't bet on it, they got my nail clippers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++