WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Need better warnings re: Blood Mountain bear situation

Section hiked Neels Gap to Woody Gap SOBO on Sunday. I saw plenty of signs saying what was closed to camping without a bear canister -- the 5 miles of trail from Jerrard Gap to Neels Gap. What I did not see is an explanation of that particular trail section, that is, the most difficult 5 mile stretch of trail to date for a NOBO thru-hiker. Furthermore, the only official place to camp prior to the bear area is Lance Creek, a couple of miles before the bear area. While 7-8 miles does not seem very long, I talked to a number of thrus this weekend that were averaging no more than 6 miles per day.

A lot more information should be given, as early as possible, so that the thrus can plan accordingly. Detailed water situation, trail difficulty (long sustained uphill followed by steep rocky downhill), last chance to camp without canister, at the very least.

Ideally though, the thrus should have a way to camp on Blood Mountain. Maybe someone can put in a bear box, or provide loaner (or rental) bear canisters? Trail magic at Jerrard Gap?

BTW: Trail was in great shape from Unicoi Gap to Woody Gap.

Where's the popcorn. This will be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Where's the popcorn. This will be interesting...
    For breakfast...indeed.Grits

So exactly what trail guide are you using?

what's a thru?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    what's a thru?
    I believe the term was "Thrus"a thrus is a small little bird that is indigenous to Iceland,Tecivte to be exact.Or perhaps it's a plural for of get the heck out of our way,were hiking to Katadin.........maybe.

so these Thrus are special then?

so these Three are special then?
    No exactly,Lets just say...not that uncommon.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

so these Thrus are special then?
    I am fluent in sarcasm!
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua's dad View Post
    Section hiked Neels Gap to Woody Gap SOBO on Sunday. I saw plenty of signs saying what was closed to camping without a bear canister -- the 5 miles of trail from Jerrard Gap to Neels Gap. What I did not see is an explanation of that particular trail section, that is, the most difficult 5 mile stretch of trail to date for a NOBO thru-hiker. Furthermore, the only official place to camp prior to the bear area is Lance Creek, a couple of miles before the bear area. While 7-8 miles does not seem very long, I talked to a number of through this weekend that were averaging no more than 6 miles per day.

A lot more information should be given, as early as possible, so that the trash can plan accordingly. Detailed water situation, trail difficulty (long sustained uphill followed by steep rocky downhill), last chance to camp without canister, at the very least.

Ideally though, the thrus should have a way to camp on Blood Mountain. Maybe someone can put in a bear box, or provide loaner (or rental) bear canisters? Trail magic at Jerrard Gap?

Much of the information your asking for can adequately be provided in the trail registers for hikers ,by hikers.kick it off

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I am fluent in sarcasm!
    Elf doles it for free.Shame to throw away a perfectly good market.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    Trail magic at Jerrard Gap?

Last week there was trail Magic at Unicoi, Indian Grave and Tray Mnt. Gaps. Big Magic. No wonder thrus are well fed. We're talkin' 3 feeds in 5 miles.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

OK, sarcasm aside (and I DID expect it), there are a lot of NOBOs out there this season that are in way over their head. I saw a number of NOBOs near Jerrard Gap who were considering pushing to Neels Gap, which would be extending themselves considerably to do so. One (smartly) asked me about the water situation, even though it looked like they should stop then (I did see him the next day on a short AM hike SOBO from Hogpen Gap to Neels, so I guess I was wrong about him). Another was thinking that he could share a bear canister with someone if he could not make it to Neels (he had already hiked about 10 miles) -- I did not see him the next morning. I saw one exhausted European (German, probably) wearing what looked like 5 pound (each) army boots and carrying what looked to be a 70 pound pack heading up a not-so-steep hill at say, 0.4 miles per hour...you should get the picture.

It has been exceptionally easy on the trail in the past week (let alone, the past month), so it was no big deal for someone in over their head to just stop in place and camp when exhausted. If you are carrying 70 pounds prior to Neels Gap (and the pack shakedown), when you stop, you generally can do pretty well. But if you cannot stop because of an imposed condition AND it is 70+ degrees out there AND you didn't bring enough water AND you are not experienced at going downhill with a heavy pack AND you are doing your first 6+ mile day...that is a recipe for a number of zero-days at Neels (or the nearby hospital).

Just saying that if you are into that trail magic thing, this might be a place for it. Of course, you don't want to spoil the NOBOs too much, but this looked like a special situation. Or, the local trail club, ATC, etc. could sponsor a bear box. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    So exactly what trail guide are you using?
    Is there a tougher part of the trail NOBO from Springer to Neels? I sure did not see it. After Neels, sure, there are more difficult parts. Tray Mtn. looks pretty tough on paper for the uninitiated (and probably a very appreciated place for trail magic). Blue Mountain is a long slog as well NOBO. Regardless, all of it seems pretty easy compared to what awaits them up north (Priest, Three Ridges, Killington Peak, Smokies, NH/ME, etc.)
    Last edited by joshuasdad; 04-10-2012 at 09:43.

Images

All good points joshuasdad. I for one, thank you for your post.

jarrad gap to neel gap would hardly be called "difficult"

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Last week there was trail Magic at Unicoi, Indian Grave and Tray Mnt. Gaps. Big Magic. No wonder thrus are well fed. We're talkin' 3 feeds in 5 miles.
    I was thinking more information + water (for those who really need it) + possibly loaner bear canisters (to be dropped off at Walasi-Yi). FYI: Need to hike uphill 1 mile to get to Jerrard Gap, so not the best place for a feed (if there is any good place for that...).

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    Is there a tougher part of the trail NOBO from Springer to Neels? I sure did not see it. After Neels, sure, there are more difficult parts. Tray Mtn. looks pretty tough on paper for the uninitiated (and probably a very appreciated place for trail magic). Blue Mountain is a long slog as well NOBO. Regardless, all of it seems pretty easy compared to what awaits them up north (Priest, Three Ridges, Killington Peak, Smokies, NH/ME, etc.)
    I don't think Blood is really that bad. I would take it any day over the stretch from Hawk to Gooch, those PUDS just suck it out of me. Blood just looks big on a map, but in reality it is very manageable with a NOBO ascent.

I guess if you are carrying a 70 pound pack that has been beating you up for several days then Blood probably looks like the devil incarnate, but if you are in that situation then every step is misery anyway.

I did this section in Feb, and we simply stopped at Lance Creek, and the next day went over Blood mtn and down to Neels Gap. The best Mtn Dew I ever had was at Mtn Crossings! Seriously, going up Blood Mtn was not that bad, and it didn't live up to it's reputation. Just a long steady climb. However, going down was tough. I had always heard how hard it was, but I never knew that they meant the going down part.

Joshuasdad, you hiked Blood going SOBO. Its my experience that climbing Blood SOBO is more strenuous that NOBO.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++