WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tuswm View Post
    I just asked my GF she said our 8 lb two person REI "backpacking" tent.
    An 8 lb. tent? Shouldkve brought wood and nails instead?
    My biggest mistake was a plastic tube tent. In addition to being dangerous (like sleeping with a plastin bag over your head), we sweated like we were wrapped in Saran wrap.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Seriously?
    Seriously. I carried a Coleman 2 burner stove, but it was only to Neels. I was bound and determined to have a hot meal on the trail.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

A hammock...
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    A hammock...
    tssssssss. Trying to make the sound of water hittin' a hot cast iron skillet.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    tssssssss. Trying to make the sound of water hittin' a hot cast iron skillet.
    here try this one Tssscracklr pop,pop,pop...........never mind that ain't it either.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I almost​ forgot about the boxes of Coghlans waterproof matches that everyone had when i was in boyscouts. They mostly just broke in half when you tried to light them and if the striker got wet they were useless. For some reason parents kept buying these worthless things for their kids to bring on camp outs year after year.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

What about them knife,fork,spoon jack knife sets,or the mess kits,and the od green army aluminum canteens.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    remember the pup tents where each guy carried a half and the 8lb cotton sleeping bags.
    and no floor. And two heavy metal poles. And no ground sheet or sleeping pad. Oh those were the days. You try and tell kids nowadays.....

Quote Originally Posted by swammie View Post
    and no floor. And two heavy metal poles. And no ground sheet or sleeping pad. Oh those were the days. You try and tell kids nowadays.....
    And they were down and heavy as heck,and if they were't set out to dry back home you were rewarded on your next trip with an foul smelling tent buddy who went home with a asthma attack.

Got a Mioxx on eBay to try it. Found it to be a very expensive and tricky way to treat water. Sold it on eBay. Good riddance. I'm sure someone here likes theirs, and that's OK too.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I almost​ forgot about the boxes of Coghlans waterproof matches that everyone had when i was in boyscouts. They mostly just broke in half when you tried to light them and if the striker got wet they were useless. For some reason parents kept buying these worthless things for their kids to bring on camp outs year after year.
    And...they are STILL worthless!

Journal Entries
    Images

Recently I have been thinking about that... Why can't we send them out with micro BIC lighters?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Recently I have been thinking about that... Why can't we send them out with micro BIC lighters?
    The answer I always got from the scoutmasters was that scouts were less likely to screw around and do something stupid with their limited number of matches than they would be if they had a lighter that could light hundreds of times.

We eventually started bringing lighters anyway, and then proceeded to prove that the scoutmaster's theory was correct.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Thermarest trekker chair. 4 years old. Never been used. After buying it I couldn't bring myself to take my very-important-for-a-good-night's-sleep inflatable pad next to a camp fire and sit on it.

Runner up: iPood Trowel.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

took an 80+ pound extra wide aluminum fishing canoe on a long distance canoeing trip. With lots of portaging. Oops

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    And they were down and heavy as heck,and if they were't set out to dry back home you were rewarded on your next trip with an foul smelling tent buddy who went home with a asthma attack.
    I found that down army sleeping bag in my garage the other day...duct tape and all. heavy sucker.

The answer I always got from the scoutmasters was that scouts were less likely to screw around and do something stupid with their limited number of matches than they would be if they had a lighter that could light hundreds of times.

We eventually started bringing lighters anyway, and then proceeded to prove that the scoutmaster's theory was correct.
    This summed my thoughts precisely.

My list consists of everything purchased based on a Backpacker Magazine Editors choice award. Lesson learned...eventually.

Steripen, an electronic that you have to stick in the water but isn't waterproof *face palm*

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    Steripen, an electronic that you have to stick in the water but isn't waterproof *face palm*
    LOL, the part that you are suppose to put in the water is.......*face palm*
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++