WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Katadyn Hiker pro Filter question

How often does one suppose to change the water filter in the Hiker Pro? I been cleaning my filter out at home and noticed th filter is blackish on the bottom half and still clean looking on the top after rinsing it a few times.

I have probally run about 10 gallons of water thru the system since I bought it a few years ago. Yes, I clean the filter and dry it every time I am home from a trip. Just curious,since I seem not to be able to find my directions

Images

Use the cleaning pad that came with the filter. Lightly scrub the outside surface only removing the dark area otherwise you will shorten the life of your filter.
    WalkingStick"75"

thanks walkingstick , everything else is looking good

Quote Originally Posted by crazyonelost View Post
    How often does one suppose to change the water filter in the Hiker Pro? I been cleaning my filter out at home and noticed th filter is blackish on the bottom half and still clean looking on the top after rinsing it a few times.

I have probally run about 10 gallons of water thru the system since I bought it a few years ago. Yes, I clean the filter and dry it every time I am home from a trip. Just curious,since I seem not to be able to find my directions
    The problem could be mold or likely mildew growing on the filter element. My question is Do you reassemble the filter after cleaning and "drying"??? If so then that is the problem. After several experiences from me and other Hiker users, and after talking to reps from the company, I have come to this conclusion. If you are not using the filter on a daily basis and clean and store your filter after a trip, then you should store the filter and element separately from each other. Any moisture that will be in the filter body will lead to a mold issue if you store it assembled. I have even tried drying over heating vents, hair dryers, etc. but you cannot completely dry the body or the element to prevent some growth of bacteria. I also use some of those little desecant packs that are in some food/meal containers.

If this is just a dirt issue with the filter then try to cover the pre-filter acorn with a coffee filter and a rubber band to prolong the life of your filter element. Also try to get water from a source that is not sandy or brackish. One of the tricks I have used is a water container to gather water at the spring or source. Then I hang that container and allow it to sit and filter from the top while back at camp. This allows me to have a ready water supply to drinking and washing at my campsite.

Here is the water bag I was referring to.

I do assemble the unit back together when I think it been dry enough. Maybe that is my prob,that it might not be dry enough,even thou it feels dry. Maybe I need to keep them seperated until ready to use.

I do and try and get my water source from the deepest/clear/fastest moving water I can find. I do sometimes find myself fighting the intake hose from moving on me. It moves to the sides of the pool on me sometimes and has occasionally drifted to mossey rocks. Still figuring out how to prevent that.

Other then that the unit seems just fine.

The likely culprit preventing the unit from drying is the check valve down inside the bottom of the smaller tube that houses the handle. I rinse and dry the filter for a couple of days after use and then store in a mesh bag. Try out the desecant packs I mentioned and let us know if this solves the problem.

filter life is about 200 gal or 750 L

Images

Thank You, White Blaze!!!!!!!!!

My donation has payed its 1st dividend, reading this thread.
    I bought the PURE brand model, years ago,never used it. When I returned to AT this past fall, I dug it out and started useing it and I like it, but didn't realize it should be taken apart after use. It is out in the sun right now getting that nasty mildew smell out.

Thanks WB!!!

I have owned the hiker pro for several years (5+) and I almost never disassemble after a trip and let it dry. The most I've done is to pump the extra water out after each use which I believe is common practice for all filter users. I do pop it open before each trip to make sure there is no mildew growth or that the filter isn't otherwise contaminated but so far I have had no such problems. I have replaced the filter only once in all these years only because i had to filter some nasty reddish brown water from a stagnant source out of an emergency and the filter took on the reddish color. Maybe I've just been lucky a theory I have is that since i almost never open it the filter isnt contaminated by outside mold or mildew spores and therefore stays clean. or maybe Ive already ingested something that will violently kill me a few years from now, only time will tell.

Images

There's no cleaning pad with the Katadyn Hiker Pro. It's a paper filter. The indicator to changing the filter is when it suddenly gets much harder to pump. That says the filter is full and you're having to really force water through it. How quickly the filter fills really depends on the water you're filtering. Muddy or silty water will clog it up pretty quickly. All that being said.....I get somewhere around 600-750 hiking miles between filter changes. Seems to occur about the same time I change my boots!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

I too have this filter,and have not changed the filter yet.At a retail price they are very expensive $39.99,but I found one on clearence at Sports Athority for $9.98 Score.....I would also use Aqua Mira as a back-up and or in addition as dictated by the condition of the sorce.So far a periodic back wash is all I have done,and it is still looking clean...no mildew.

Quote Originally Posted by karo View Post
    Here is the water bag I was referring to.
    exactly the same bag i use along with the pur hikerpro
    this system has never failed me. great filter(the best) and the water bag will hold a 12pak of b-soda and a bag of ice.
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 04-21-2012 at 18:14.

++ New Posts ++