WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default MAPSOURCE for Garmin needed

I was hoping someone may be able to help me out.

I have the Garmin 60csx and it originally came with a Mapsource disk.

I recently built an new computer and I can not locate the Mapsource CD-rom disk to install the software on my new system.

If any of you who may have it would be nice enough to burn me a copy I would greatly appreciate it.

I would gladly pay for the postage and disk as well as a few bucks for your troubles if you wished.

Thanks,

jd
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydave View Post
    I can not locate the Mapsource CD-rom disk to install the software on my new system.
    Google says:

Here's a trick to getting MapSource, and it works! Best part is, it's right from Garmin with no hacks or cracks.

Download the Training Center:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=835

Install it

Then download the MapSource update:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209

Install it.

You now have full blown MapSource, enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    Google says:

Here's a trick to getting MapSource, and it works! Best part is, it's right from Garmin with no hacks or cracks.

Wow, that's something if it works, and unlike Garmin to be giving something away.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea PM me if that fails,.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Wow, that's something if it works, and unlike Garmin to be giving something away.
    Mapsource is not marketed as having any independent value. It's a carrier/basic application for their map products. It's useless without maps. All their map products come with it (the OP probably already has it on what he thinks are a set of Garmin map disks).

Garmin takes it as a given that if you have _any_ of their map products you already have Mapsource and thus offers only updates, not the base program itself, for free download. Thus the needed trick. Of course if you really have lost the Mapsource install disk that probably means you lost the maps that came along with it.

Mapsource is not marketed as having any independent value. It's a carrier/basic application for their map products. It's useless without maps. All their map products come with it (the OP probably already has it on what he thinks are a set of Garmin map disks).
    My mistake, at first I thought Garmin was allowing a download of a paid mapping program

You can use Mapsource without maps but it's only useful function would be for uploading or downloading waypoints, routes and tracks to/from your GPS.

Images

Thanks Wil,
    It never occured to me to Google the problem, and it should have since I practically live on that search site.
    Your "fix" did indeed solve my problem, thanks again.

I originally went to the download site before starting this thread, but I tried downloading the Mapsource by itself without first getting the training center.
    It would not allow me to do it since "an older version of mapsource was not found on your computer".

I should have known people much smarter than I had already figured out a work around.

Thanks for all the offers of assistance folks, but since the double download solved my issue, I won't be needing any further help.... (with this problem anyway )

Google says:

Download the Training Center:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=835

Install it

Then download the MapSource update:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209

Install it.

You now have full blown MapSource, enjoy!
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

++ New Posts ++