WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Large blister on the bottom of little toe

Evidently, I tuck that toe under when I walk. After a few miles on the AT this weekend, I now have a blister that covers the whole bottom of the toe. Do I drain it and apply a band-aid?

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Clean thoroughly, pop it, drain it, apply superglue to entire area.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

I guess everybody has their own way of dealing with blisters, but I never pop a blister on purpose. I tape a blister so it doesn't burst. Let is dry naturally. JMO
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

My fear is that I will never stop aggravating it. I guess I need to tape it up and pad it away from the other toes.

Images

I had the same problem till I bought some toe socks and switched to trail runners.

Images

Great idea about toe socks

If it is a chronic area for a blister just wrap the toe with 1/4" white athletic tape before a hike. I have one toe that ALWAYS wants to blister no matter what combination of socks/shoes. I just tape the toe as a precaution any time I'm hiking over 6 miles.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I use white athletic tape before a hike too but you may want to consider wider boots, it sounds like you are pinching the pinkie.
    WalkingStick"75"

Images

Some socks that are too large for me have "folded" in an odd spot and caused a blister. Like the outside middle of the end of the second from outside toe.

Say that twice.

Just saw this this on Doctor Oz. Pop it with a sterile(heat)pin oe needle and leave the dead skin intact.

2010 complete

I have that same little toe. I used my snake bite kit to pop it one evening. actually, that was a big mistake. I think it's best to leave it alone and let it pop when it's ready. At that point the skin will be nice and tough to protect it and it won't be so tender..
    all in all, larger boots remedied the situation.

Images

I'm already using the widest boots/shoes. I think it is rubbing. It's almost too free. I'm going to start taping it. Someone also recommended inserts. I'm walking about 3 miles a day so that doesn't help. I'm switching to sandals for a while. Oddly, I have started running again and that doesn't seem to bother it.

1,710,000 steps and counting! FishBone's Avatar

I have the same problem; on multiple toes

pre-taping, to head off the problem, along with toe socks solve most of the problems.

gel toe caps (see Dr Scholls products) and proper fitting shoes took care of the rest of the problems (took me 3 brands and 3 different sizes as my feet grew/spread).

as a sectin hiker, I also prepare my feet every trip since I don't have the luxury of hardining my feet on the trail: I apply alcohol nightly for a couple of weeks before a trip and use Hydropel (see Backpacking Light) a couple of days before the trip and any time my feet have gotten soaked from day-long rain.

good luck; YMMV.
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

I know this is probably a mute point now but don't pop it. The risk for infection goes way up when you have an open wound vs. a wound that mother nature placed a perfect bandage on. I also would avoid taping it. If you can keep it intact for several days it will form a new skin under the blister.

Quote Originally Posted by singingtothewheat View Post
    I know this is probably a mute point now but don't pop it. The risk for infection goes way up when you have an open wound vs. a wound that mother nature placed a perfect bandage on. I also would avoid taping it. If you can keep it intact for several days it will form a new skin under the blister.
    That might be fine if you are gonna pull off the trail and rest. But if you are gonna keep going you are gonna rip that protective skin. In that case you are better off to drain from the edge and wrap.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by ASUGrad View Post
    I'm already using the widest boots/shoes. I think it is rubbing. It's almost too free. I'm going to start taping it. Someone also recommended inserts. I'm walking about 3 miles a day so that doesn't help. I'm switching to sandals for a while. Oddly, I have started running again and that doesn't seem to bother it.
    If that's the case, I would hike in my running shoes.

Images

Another tactic I leaned from an Army buddy of mine (I was Navy, so walking was not an issue) is to coat your toes with vasoline (inside and outside of your inner sock) in the morning before walking. You get use to the gushey felling and then, no blisters becuase there is lots of lube.

I used to have the same problem ASU Grad. My pinky toe would slide under when I went on long hikes(thru-hikes). The only toe that would blister on the bottom was my pinky toe. PAIN. What really helped me was avoiding sharply angled toe boxes of certain brand shoes like Nikes for example. I went to Keens, that have a wide/huge toe box, and that virtually eliminated the problem. I realized I just wasn't purchasing proper fitting shoes for my kind of feet. I realized my pinky toe should not be sliding under my other toes. That's a sign of cramped toesies. My feet are much happier now. The other thing I do is be aware of developing hot spots. When I notice hot spots developing I tape or apply additional anti-friction product like Glide BEFORE it develops into a blister. One other thing I noticed is that I needed to make sure my after market orthotics totally fit inside my shoe without any spaces along the inside of the shoe. If there is even a little space between your insole and the inside of your your shoe you'll probably start developing a hot spot there that will eventually be irritated into a blister.

planning a Thru-Hike cindellasaurus's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Just saw this this on Doctor Oz. Pop it with a sterile(heat)pin oe needle and leave the dead skin intact.
    I heard the same thing. The dead skin or I think they call it the 'cap' keeps the new, raw skin safe (so you dont want to remove this!). From there on out you just let it heal up naturally.!

Images

I've found duct tape to be an excellent blister preventative. If I feel a hot spot developing, I stop, put some duct tape on it and I've not had a blister problem.

The key is to recognize the hot spot for what it is and stop and deal with it, instead of waiting too long.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++