WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just kidding, but seriously. RememberYourZen's Avatar

Default How much should a typical thru hike pack weigh starting out?

I was looking to get into the 28-35 lb marker? Is that legit?

Images

You will be fine. Others will tell go heavier and others lighter. That ain't a bad zone for a starting pack weight.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I just weighed in at 34 lbs. and I'd like to eliminate things I know I wont need..but I want most things I have in there.

Heaviest items are food..and well, i can easily get rid of those into my stomach on the hike.

Images

If your pack is at 34 pounds *with* food and water, you should be fine. Have a great hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Depends if you resupply at neals gap or not.
    I always do and start out with 2 days food.
    That makes for a much lighter pack and helps get my trail legs in shape without hurting my back.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Half my pack weight was consumables when I left town. For me a good rule of thumb was if my gear weighed more than my food bag - I was carrying too much gear.

You will work some things out on the trail. Some things you are told you need or you feel you cannot live without will somehow seem less important and you will get rid of them. Don't be afraid...

Some things you didn't think of will become apparent. There are lots of places on the trail to get those minor things. Don't try to anticipate every need before you go or you will end up with more stuff falling under the previous paragraph.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    If your pack is at 34 pounds *with* food and water, you should be fine. Have a great hike.
    It is with food. I'll be bringing along two water bottles. I've got a water bottle holder on my pack so im not too worried about that added weight as im used to hiking with a platypus bladder which is absurdly heavy to me, haha

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Depends if you resupply at neals gap or not.
    I always do and start out with 2 days food.
    That makes for a much lighter pack and helps get my trail legs in shape without hurting my back.
    I will resupply at neels gap. I'm bringing about 3-4 days of food. 3 days for sure, I could stretch it to 4.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Half my pack weight was consumables when I left town. For me a good rule of thumb was if my gear weighed more than my food bag - I was carrying too much gear.

You will work some things out on the trail. Some things you are told you need or you feel you cannot live without will somehow seem less important and you will get rid of them. Don't be afraid...

Some things you didn't think of will become apparent. There are lots of places on the trail to get those minor things. Don't try to anticipate every need before you go or you will end up with more stuff falling under the previous paragraph.
    I'm trying to look at the things ive packed but I essentially WANT all of them. Im interested to see what i choose to get rid of along the way

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RememberYourZen View Post
    I'm trying to look at the things ive packed but I essentially WANT all of them. Im interested to see what i choose to get rid of along the way
    Wants are sometimes harder to shed than you think.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Wants are sometimes harder to shed than you think.
    truer words were never spoken. It's obvious that im bringing items i could live without (i.e. ipod, book to read, pillow, etc). but i can justify each as much as I can food!

I would say 35 with food and water might be a tad heavy considering you can resupply at mile 30, then 66, then 107, etc... but of course it comes down to mileage, I met people at Neels Gap that had started 3 days before me - everyone does different miles so pack weight will generally vary based on that. I think a base weight of 18-20lbs is something that is both easy to achieve and relatively light if you are only carrying 2-3 days of food.

My pack was alot heavier leaving Hot Springs than leaving Springer, cause I left Springer with 1.5 days of food and Hot Springs with 3.5 days, and I was eating much more at mile 270 than at mile 1.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    I would say 35 with food and water might be a tad heavy considering you can resupply at mile 30, then 66, then 107, etc... but of course it comes down to mileage, I met people at Neels Gap that had started 3 days before me - everyone does different miles so pack weight will generally vary based on that. I think a base weight of 18-20lbs is something that is both easy to achieve and relatively light if you are only carrying 2-3 days of food.

My pack was alot heavier leaving Hot Springs than leaving Springer, cause I left Springer with 1.5 days of food and Hot Springs with 3.5 days, and I was eating much more at mile 270 than at mile 1.

On the last trip I went on, I underpacked food-wise..so this time I probably overpacked, which is quite alright with me.

When I get to the smokies I'm gonna have to figure out how I should resupply since resupply points are fewer and far between

Images

Mail yourself some food to Fontanna from Franklin. Figure out what you need for about 3 days. If you miss anything you can pick it up at Fontanna while you are there. It is easy to get into Fontanna - you walk right up to a heated bathroom with a phone that calls the shuttle.

When you get to Newfound Gap hitch down to Gatvegas. It usually takes about 10 minutes to get a hitch - less if you are hitching with a girl. Resupply there 3 days, maybe get a cheap hotel. Get the outfitter to shuttle you back up if you cannot get a hitch back up.

Hike to Standing Bear and get 2 days food from the resupply room.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

[quote=SGT Rock;792941]Half my pack weight was consumables when I left town. For me a good rule of thumb was if my gear weighed more than my food bag - I was carrying too much gear.

Try as I might, I just can't get to this level. But, I don't seem to be overburdened at 33 lbs with 3-4 days food and 64 ounces of water. I would anyway like to return to the trail at about 28 pounds total if possible.

When I stop by to pick up my fj liner I would like to spend a few minutes with you on this subject if you've got time. .

I'm trying not to mail myself any food but if it comes down to that I guess I could. I was trying to just resupply at the towns as I go along

Images

[quote=Kanati;792973]

Try as I might, I just can't get to this level. But, I don't seem to be overburdened at 33 lbs with 3-4 days food and 64 ounces of water. I would anyway like to return to the trail at about 28 pounds total if possible.

When I stop by to pick up my fj liner I would like to spend a few minutes with you on this subject if you've got time. .
    Absolutly. I'll bring my pack.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I'm trying not to mail myself any food but if it comes down to that I guess I could. I was trying to just resupply at the towns as I go along
    Well if you think about it, this is buying as you go. You are mailing from the last big town what you like to eat and what is available. It isn't like buying now only to find two weeks later you cannot stand oatmeal anymore.

Just buy 8 days of food at Franklin where it is cheap and mail half to yourself in Fontanna. You COULD buy what you need in Fontanna, but it ain't cheap. And their store ain't big, so there is a chance you get what is left over by the 300 guys in front of you.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

hmm..that is an excellent point.

Images

On the last trip I went on, I underpacked food-wise..so this time I probably overpacked, which is quite alright with me.
    Me too. I was very hungry when we finally got to Hot Springs on our 2007 section, and made some poor choices in what I consumed in town. Erp.

I am leaving Deep Gap on Saturday with 19 pounds of gear, a 9 pound food bag, and a liter of water. I need 4+ days of food to get to Neels Gap to resupply. I am very happy and comfortable with that pack weight.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Me too. I was very hungry when we finally got to Hot Springs on our 2007 section, and made some poor choices in what I consumed in town. Erp.

I am leaving Deep Gap on Saturday with 19 pounds of gear, a 9 pound food bag, and a liter of water. I need 4+ days of food to get to Neels Gap to resupply. I am very happy and comfortable with that pack weight.
    see I'd like to be in the high 20s as far as pack weight..I'll live with what I've got I guess.

Meh, I'll probably end up mailing some stuff home in the beginning anyhow!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++