WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Jolly Rancher NOBO '09 Harley&Me's Avatar

Default Appalachian Trail ebook

I finally turned my trail journal into an ebook, and I would love for some people to enjoy it. I embedded a bunch of my pictures and videos into it, which should make for a quick fun read. Best of all, it is free! Check it out on your iPad and let me know what you think. Here is the link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/harl...19961326?mt=11

How did you made it? Can you teach me too?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSan View Post
    How did you made it? Can you teach me too?

+1.... I want to know what ebook creator you used!
    Last edited by Spokes; 05-02-2012 at 11:12.

I used iBooks Author by Apple. http://www.apple.com/ibooks-author/ It is a great program that is free to download, use, and publish. It does limit publication to iTunes only (So you can't make it compatible with Nook or Kindle) but I really enjoyed making the book and formatting it the way I wanted. You can also sell your books though iTunes, but I chose to publish mine as a free book. Hope you enjoy it! If so, please write a review on iTunes. Thanks!

Why in the world does one have to have an iOS device to read an ebook? That's crazy. I never knew that. I figured it could be read in iTunes. Thanks for the effort though. I just wish I could read it.

can anyone convert this into PDF?

Quote Originally Posted by dren View Post
    Why in the world does one have to have an iOS device to read an ebook? That's crazy. I never knew that. I figured it could be read in iTunes. Thanks for the effort though. I just wish I could read it.
    It's a proprietary format for apple, just like the kindle or nook formats. There is a standard for ebook publishing, but some things have to be set up slightly different to get all the features to work right with various different ereaders. On the one hand, I think its great that apple made software that makes it really easy to do, but on the other hand; its sort of like Front Page for books.

Quote Originally Posted by jwinterringer View Post
    can anyone convert this into PDF?
    There's lots of free software to make a pdf of something. If you want it to be readable on your mobile device, you're really going to want it to size it down a bit. Without going into too much detail, try setting up your page size in Word to be half legal size before you export it.

If you are still unsure, send me a pm, and I'll pdf it for you.

I have it as a PDF as well, but obviously the formatting won't be perfect and the videos that I embedded into the text will not work. Shoot me an email ([email protected]) and I will send it to you. Thanks verasch for fielding questions for me.

What a great idea!! and it is free:-) Thank you.
    Now I did a Google on, "Ebook creation software for Kindle" I got 37,000,000 hits in .25 seconds. Now I have only checked out the first couple and they bombed. But again thanks. For the freebe and the idea.

Quick update. A couple that looked promissing made NO mention of embeding images. So if anyone else is exploring the possibilities watch out for that.

If you want it to look more like a book and less like a string of text, look up the term "fixed layout". It's VERY complicated, if you aren't familiar with CSS. Ibooks does all the work for you, to the best of my knowledge.

Images

First of all, hugs to Harley&Me for sending me the ebook by PDF once I emailed him as he said earlier in his post. Wonderful stuff!

However it is a very, very large PDF file because all of the graphics/images/photos are super insanely high quality. Higher quality than necessary for my eReader, which could not handle a nearly 500 MB file. And so, I downsized the file by removing some of the lesser-used embedded fonts and downsampling the graphics/images/photos and changing around the layout ever-so-slightly to aid in the process of reducing the file size to a more managable-for-my-eReader 5 MB file.

And without further ado, I'm going to go ahead and attach that lower quality file to this post so that those with eReaders like mine (black and white, or 7" screens, or whatnot) can make use of it. I hope the original author doesn't mind.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Images

So, ... would the title of the thread more appropriately be "eBook for Apple owners?"

I'm confused.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Thank you theinfamousj! If anyone else wants the big version, shoot me an email. Sorry it isn't available to everyone, but I did spend a whole heck of a lot of time on it, and am making it available to people for free. After all, I put it together for myself so I would have an awesome record of my hike to show to my kids someday. If anyone still wants to complain, go ahead. Doesn't bother me a bit. Hope those who are reading it are enjoying it. I would love any feedback you have!

Images

Jolly Rancher & Harley -

Thank you so much for sharing your adventure and your pictures! It's a rainy day, so I am curled up with my labs (the girls send Harley friendly tail wags!) and we are reading your story. We are only on chapter 5, but we can already tell you really enjoyed your journey. Congratulations on hiking your own hike!

The labs have something they want to add... They say a dog's place is definitely in the tent (they ought to know - they are in the tent the moment it is set up) and they loved the part where Harley was reluctant to leave the tent. They give the story "paws up" and can't wait to hear about your adventures with Harley.

Thanks for sharing your story! Can't wait to get back to reading it.

Water Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Harley&Me View Post
    Thank you theinfamousj! If anyone else wants the big version, shoot me an email. Sorry it isn't available to everyone, but I did spend a whole heck of a lot of time on it, and am making it available to people for free. After all, I put it together for myself so I would have an awesome record of my hike to show to my kids someday. If anyone still wants to complain, go ahead. Doesn't bother me a bit. Hope those who are reading it are enjoying it. I would love any feedback you have!
    Thanks for sharing, I am off work due to a recent surgery and have enjoyed reading it. If you cannot get on a trail, this is a great way to feel the experience.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harley&Me View Post
    My biggest regret in my eReader is that I cannot take advantage of the fantastic, crisp, clear photography that you include in the big version. Ah well.

I just finished the smaller PDF version. It was an excellent read. You did a great job recording you hike and I'm sure you will enjoy looking back on this document for years to come. If I had to make a single complaint, it would be that I didn't get to tag along . My turn will come.

Ember says hello, or whatever woof translates into, to Harley.

EDIT: Sorry, only wantd to include the one photo, couldn't figure out how to unattach the other two.
    Ember waiting Dugger Mtn.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by perrymk; 07-26-2012 at 08:02.

aka Kudzu
    Images

I converted the smaller PDF to mobi for those with a Kindle. Not sure what formats the Nook reads. Unfortunately the formatting got seriously hosed. I prefer not reading PDF on the Kindle since the fonts don't scale and I find I have to scroll around a lot. I might work on cleaning it up.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

++ New Posts ++