WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When do ticks die, and Lyme Season ??

I am wondering if Fall is a less likely season for Lyme.

I guess I am asking - does Lyme have a general "season" (like flu) it is more likely that a tick would have it in summer, or is it anytime there are ticks ??

And when do the ticks tend to die off (or do they) up north - like Vermont.

I got Lyme last summer in NC.

I would love to hike in Vermont in the fall and was curious when the ticks die off some up there.

Thanks

Images

Tick season tapers off when cool weather settles in and that would be late September /October but probably is weeks earlier in Vermont.

May was bad here in Virginia and will continue that way as long as it is hot.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I don't think Lyme has a season. The ticks are less active and less common in winter. The report I read was for Connecticut and said that deer ticks are present and active in forest leaf litter through the winter. I would guess that it is a lot less likely in winter and not present in the coldest part of a Vermont winter (but that is just a guess). I'd also guess that they are won't be dropping off grass or brush onto you in temps much below freezing. They can be active in the forest floor because it is a warmer microclimate than above ground.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well there was plenty of deer ticks still alive and kicking at the end of Oct up in Shenandoah. At least down south, I'd be prepared every month for them.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Ticks do not die in the winter, they become less active and then "hibernate" through the winter, most body function stops, they freeze, and re-thaw and "come back to life" in late spring. Ticks have been known to st in the same spot for up to TEN years waiting for a host and can jump 18' to get onto you walking by.. thank you Animal Planet

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I found one site that states that deer ticks are most active during the warm weather months, becoming inactive only when there is snow on the ground.

This site seems to have the most comprehensive description of deer ticks, which apparently live for two years, with activity peaking at different times throughout the year depending on which stage of growthy they're in (larval, nymph, or adult).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

i live in ct and have never had lyme but most of my friends got it in the hottest months (aug and july). i hike in the woods behind my house almost daily and have never gotten a tick except for when i walk through fields. ct people say there is a connection between deer and ticks. also saw none in maine last week but ive had them on my person in ct until early november

Images

June first i left for 2 weeks from erwin to damascus .... i didn't see a single tick the entire trip ... But prior to the trip, i had pulled several off me in P.A, and hikes after i got home i pulled a few more ... mostly all below the knees ...

I'm still amazed i seen none down south ... Could it of been all the rain ?

You know in all my years of camping, hunting and hiking I've only had one tick on me and it hadn't bit me yet. Maybe the ticks down south have more hosts so humans aren't 1st choice. But then, I don't get bit by mosquitos as much either. Maybe those that do should wear long pants and shirts? Do they make such garments that would be comfortable in summer?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    Ticks do not die in the winter, they become less active and then "hibernate" through the winter, most body function stops, they freeze, and re-thaw and "come back to life" in late spring. Ticks have been known to st in the same spot for up to TEN years waiting for a host and can jump 18' to get onto you walking by.. thank you Animal Planet

Whay, whay, too much time on your hands - next you will be telling us the laptop is on WB and right next to the HDTV!

Don't forget Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darkage View Post
    June first i left for 2 weeks from erwin to damascus .... i didn't see a single tick the entire trip ... But prior to the trip, i had pulled several off me in P.A, and hikes after i got home i pulled a few more ... mostly all below the knees ...

I'm still amazed i seen none down south ... Could it of been all the rain ?
    Thats why I use Deep Woods Off Spray before every section Hike.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Ticks have been known to st in the same spot for up to TEN years waiting for a host and can jump 18' to get onto you walking by.. thank you Animal Planet
    18'? That's EIGHTEEN FEET?

(Besides, I thought Animal Planet was good only at 40# past the hour when the animals start ****ing... but what do I know, I don't have cable!)

Journal Entries
    Images

He ment 18 inches.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Whay, whay, too much time on your hands - next you will be telling us the laptop is on WB and right next to the HDTV!

Don't forget Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.
    No, separate rooms for the computer and TV. Gotta get my walking in

I have never...bought a telivision...therefor HDTV does not exist in my world...actually that's what I call my big, newer mid nineties TV. My small 13" samsung in the bedroom....Manufacturing sticker on the back says July 1987. It's old enough to drink It should.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    18'? That's EIGHTEEN FEET?

(Besides, I thought Animal Planet was good only at 40# past the hour when the animals start ****ing... but what do I know, I don't have cable!)
    Animal Planets show Most Extreme aired an episode, for the life of me I can't remember which, and the number 1 position was held by ticks and the above information was provided.

Although WOO that was at least 6 months ago that I watched it. Been keeping busy around here even though I am limited to one hand for the most part. When you've just moved in to a new place and 80% of the rest of the house is still joists and rafters, believe me there is projects for all.

Class of 2011 Hopeful Skywise494's Avatar

We went hiking in western VA near the AT this weekend...9 miles and 53 ticks between the two of us! VA is definitely tick mecca.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise494 View Post
    We went hiking in western VA near the AT this weekend...9 miles and 53 ticks between the two of us! VA is definitely tick mecca.
    Were you hiking thru tall grasses or bushwhacking? I have never in my life seen 53 ticks in one day and I live in Ticksylvania. I must say that the ticks have been bad this spring/summer here in PA. I've had 1 or 2 on me after almost every dayhike for the past few months. Strangely enough though, last week I sectioned Pen Mar > Harpers and didn't see 1 tick the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    He ment 18 inches.
    BS too.
    Jumping ticks?

Jumping-g-hosafat!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    BS too.
    Jumping ticks?

Jumping-g-hosafat!
    Its a rumor that they can jump. "Ticks can only crawl; they cannot fly or jump."

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pccommonticks.htm

I have seen the wind carry one onto a friend on a ridge top in NJ.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Images

Normally after the first hard freeze is what I always heard they stay inside and watch football
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

Ticks have been known to st in the same spot for up to TEN years waiting for a host and can jump 18' to get onto you walking by..
    I would n't suspect that ticks can jump.

Panzer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++