WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 4/1/12-4/5/12 Setion hike advise

Hi all,

Only about 6 weeks till my section hike. Im planning on the approach trail to neels gap. I am debating on whether to leave the car at the long term lot at amicalola falls, or to leave it at neels gap. If I leave it at the falls how hard/long will it take for me to get a shuttle back to my car after my hike? Day one I plan to make it to black gap or springer mountain shelter. Next day I hope to make it to hawk mountain or a little further and tent camp. Day 3 hope to make it to gooch mtn shelter. Day 4 hoping to camp right outside the bear canister area nead jarrod gap. The final day I'll climb blood mountainand head to nbeels gap to get to my car/shuttle. Does this seem doable. I am young and imho in great shape. Run 4-5 miles 5 days a week. I have been back packing for the last 4-5 years and my pack weight will be less than 20lbs. If I can do more miles I will but don't wanna overestimate since I have limited AT experince.

does this seem like a reasonable trip plan

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte-w8-hyker View Post
    does this seem like a reasonable trip plan
    Sure.

Call these folks for a shuttle. http://hikerhostel.com/
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Does it make sense to leave my car at AFSP or should I shuttle back after leaving my car at neels gap to begin my hike. From my reaserch the lot at neels seems small. I'm just woried about not being able to get back to my car for a few days cause I'm military and I'll be burning my leave waiting to get back.

I did a 10 day section from Springer to Franklin last year. I took 3 days to reach Neels gap from Springer. Dropped off at dusk and stayed night 1 at Springer, night 2 on Sassafras Mtn. (arrived at 2pm at hawk Mtn Shelter and it was already full, so decided to fill up my water and push on) , night 3 on Big Cedar mtn (just past Gooch gap).

the next day ended at Neels gap.

So 3 days of hiking from Springer.

Journal Entries
    Images

it's normally easier to hike TO your car. I don't know how safe or unsafe Neels parking lot is, but if you get there early & want to hike a few more days, you could stop there, eat, resupply & arraing to call them in a day or two so they could shuttle you? Happy Hiking!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte-w8-hyker View Post
    Hi all,

I am young and imho in great shape. Run 4-5 miles 5 days a week. I have been back packing for the last 4-5 years and my pack weight will be less than 20lbs. If I can do more miles I will but don't wanna overestimate since I have limited AT experince.
    I'm old, out of shape and carry a 50 pound pack and made it in 3 days. You'll do fine. As for your car, I would leave it at the falls and shuttle back.

yea that's kinda what I am loeaning towards since I could make it a little farther adn shuttle back from there.

Did this section is 3 days/ 2 nights including the approach trail. Had a wonderful experience on the AT and even had time to check out the smokies before my vacation ended. Can't wait to get out again.

++ New Posts ++