WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Frostline Kits

Default Frostline Kits

Back in the early 70's I purchased 3 Frostline kits, a tent, a winter parka and a vest. Never having been in front of a sewing machine it was a learning experience to say the least but the final products came out excellent. The vest is now thread bare and leaks down from every inch and is headed to the trash although I would like to salvage the down. The parka I still use in deep cold and is well used but decent shape. The tent, well thats another story (got too close to a fire one night) and is no longer although it did weigh about 6 pounds or so and was too heavy to carry at least by todays standards. My question is this... I would like to try another kit (either precut or from pattern) and have been looking for a source. I have seen thruhiker.com but their selection is limited. Anyone have a good source where they have had success?

Regards

Hummm.... you got my attention! I had never heard of these kits before... I did a quick google search on it. I got quite a few hits. Looks like ebay had a lot of kits. Don't know if this would turn out to be a good source or not. It's worth a try. I'm glad you had good luck with sewing.

Images

I too, don't know much about these kits. But I can add that you may want to consider a source of HIGH quality down (I cannot speak for what come in the kit). You would not need much.

Several of the hammock quilt manufacturers will provide small quantities of down for a reasonable price.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Quest Outfitters sells kits. http://www.questoutfitters.com/index.html
    I saw a handmade Bilgy tent and it had lots of room. And

Garlic
    Images

Wow, talk about memories. Good luck finding a replacement--those kits were fun.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

If you still have any of these left and it still fits, you could use a seam ripper and deconstruct it to make a new pattern. Thruhiker and others have very good quality down; thruhiker can give good advice on materials. Probably thruhiker.com has the best selection of kits. Ray jardine has some kits, probably best for a sleeping quilt rayjardine.com

Images

I still have my vest that I made from a Frostline kit, my kids have both worn it at times. They really were well put together, the instructions were great.

Images

I made several pairs of gaiters- still going strong!- , a full down coat and pants outfit, booties, vests, day pack or 2, and even a great dog pack! Those kits were excellent!

Images

I still have my booties, but I also made a down sweater and a vest. They actually had a shop just outside Detroit near where I grew up. Could go there and pick up kits on clearance.

I also put together kits from Holubar. Kits were the only way I could afford gear back then.

They were both good companies and I miss them

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Surprised no one has mentioned Ray Jardine yet. He sells all kinds of kits. http://www.rayjardine.com

Oh wow, blast from the past! My mom made us all Frostline down jackets when I was a kid. When my arms got too long she turned the jacket into a vest. Loved them. Big pockets. Velcro. Removable hoods. Good times.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

Images

I believe Frostline kits came with the fabrics pre-cut. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd love to see new kits like that, very preferably with the seams cut with a hot knife so they don't fray as I sew the seams, and then pull the stitches and sew them again the right way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I believe Frostline kits came with the fabrics pre-cut. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd love to see new kits like that, very preferably with the seams cut with a hot knife so they don't fray as I sew the seams, and then pull the stitches and sew them again the right way.
    No, you are correct. Pre cut, index notches, all most ready to sew. You did need to sear the edges of the fabric so it would not fray, so I agree with your hot knife comment.

I can still hear my Mom yelling at me for getting down all over her sewing room that stuff does make a mess when it gets out of control.

There are some links to patterns here : http://www.owfinc.com/hardware.html
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Hike smarter, not harder.

I still have some down mittens a girlfriend sewed for me. Awesome kit. Inside of thumb is cold, since I didn't understand what "work some down into the thumb" really meant. Here's a great link, to an amazing amount of history. Super cool if you're old......ish.

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Frostline1.html
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Also look at the kits by AYCE at : www.thru-hiker.com

If you are interested in making a tent check this link to tarptent.com. http://tarptent.com/projects/tarpdesign.html
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Rightfoot View Post
    Back in the early 70's I purchased 3 Frostline kits, a tent, a winter parka and a vest. Never having been in front of a sewing machine it was a learning experience to say the least but the final products came out excellent. The vest is now thread bare and leaks down from every inch and is headed to the trash although I would like to salvage the down. The parka I still use in deep cold and is well used but decent shape. The tent, well thats another story (got too close to a fire one night) and is no longer although it did weigh about 6 pounds or so and was too heavy to carry at least by todays standards. My question is this... I would like to try another kit (either precut or from pattern) and have been looking for a source. I have seen thruhiker.com but their selection is limited. Anyone have a good source where they have had success?

Regards
    OK, so it's 3 years since you posted, but I thought I'd respond anyway. I have a Frostline Kodiak tent kit which is still in the box which I would like to sell/pass on to someone who wants to sew it. I sewed one, and still have it...great tent. Bought this as a replacement, but never wore the original one out.

++ New Posts ++