WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

My 12 year old son, my friend, and her 13 year old son met Scott last July while hiking. He had a great heart, and was very kind to the boys. One of them talked about how he thought "school sucks," but Scott put him in his place telling him to stick with it and find a career. Scott also complimented the boys on being in Boy Scouts, speaking fondly of his time in scouting.

I spoke with AT people and the FBI about what we know back in August. However, if any of Scott's family wants to contact me, please pm me. He spoke very fondly of you and described some memories that you may be of comfort to you... He was a great young man who left an imprint on our boys...and us.

If they hold mback information on the gear it might make the killer MORE likely to try to sell it than dispose of it

Making them easier to catch

Journal Entries
    Images

Let the police do there job. This can not be an easy case.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Let the police do there job. This can not be an easy case.
    I agree, too many people basing their opinion on crime shows. The fact is solving crimes like this is difficult.

Recovering meniscectomy patient

IMG_1459.JPG

Here is a photo I snapped at the press conference yesterday. The display represents his shoes as well as items he had most recently purchased at Wally World with a gift card before his death.

Images

It appears that whoever killed Scott took some of his stuff. That fits with other crimes on the A.T. last year - the high school kid's pack being stolen while he went for water in Tennessee/N.C. area comes to mind. I never left behind the thought that the "evil" Papa Smurf is the common thread. Menaced the trail and its people last year, evidently. The investigators pointedly say they are not ruling out other hikers whom they've interviewed who interacted with Scott.

Is Smurf behind bars now in PA or NY on some other charges? If not, any word of him?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

That's crazy if the cause of the murder was theft because that gear doesn't have much value except to Scott.

Images

My sense of it, leaftye, is that it would be some mix of theft and menacing by the perp, if it's this Smurf guy, and when Scott wouldn't play along, it got ugly. Speculative, but from what I heard about Smurf on these boards last summer, that's the pattern of conduct I would infer.

Can anyone provide the GPS location of where his body was found?

Images

Was proximity & waypoints in reference to the shelter ever released ?
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Was proximity & waypoints in reference to the shelter ever released ?
    What shelter/road crossing?

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    What shelter/road crossing?
    cow camp gap shelter north of US 60

Journal Entries
    Images

Thank you once again for your reporting Mr. Drummond.

That said, I would very much like to read the official FBI press release itself.

I spent some time googling and looking around the Richmond FIeld Office's web site and saw no mention of Scott Lilly.

Can you let me know where to find it?

On a related note, was the press conference/outreach well attended by your peers in the media?

Journal Entries
    Images

I need an edittor. If I had one, he would have corrected me to write "Mr. Dumond". Sorry about that.

Images

Cow Camp Gap gave me the creeps on my thru in 2007
    and I showed up a week after the murder last year .. didn't go down there though
    that place is creepy !! R.I.P Stonewall ..

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    My 12 year old son, my friend, and her 13 year old son met Scott last July while hiking. He had a great heart, and was very kind to the boys. One of them talked about how he thought "school sucks," but Scott put him in his place telling him to stick with it and find a career. Scott also complimented the boys on being in Boy Scouts, speaking fondly of his time in scouting.

I spoke with AT people and the FBI about what we know back in August. However, if any of Scott's family wants to contact me, please pm me. He spoke very fondly of you and described some memories that you may be of comfort to you... He was a great young man who left an imprint on our boys...and us.
    Heartbreaking and touching at the same time. Let's hope the criminal is brought to justice.

Images

Talk to Lois at Dutch Haus about this tragedy. Lots of missed opportunities by some folks investigating this crime.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

If she has information about this case, she should contact the FBI.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for the kind words. Scott was my best friend of 27 yrs before he was killed. The loss of him has been very hard on his family as well as me. I know that whatever he said to your son about staying in school came from his heart cause me and him always had conversations about school and family. I will never forget the day he told me he was proud I was going to college and starting my new career. It meant a lot to me. Thank you for all the kind words.

Images

Hi ph321:

Thank you for sharing with us about your frienship with Scott. Please know there are many of us in the Trail community who feel aggrieved for you and other friends of his and for his family. We know that one of the things which must give you some comfort is that he was out on an adventure of his dreams when his time came, another being that as so many people who met him have shared, he was a dear and kind fellow, a very good friend, son, fellow hiker, fellow human. May your many happy memories of him stay close to your heart.

-Chris/Driver 8

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++