WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Say LK, did you ever release the final video of that hike? I was at your showing of the rough edit in Damascus for TD '09. I'd like to see the finished work if it is available.

If it is, what's the title so I can look it up?

BL
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Lightfoot View Post
    Say LK, did you ever release the final video of that hike? I was at your showing of the rough edit in Damascus for TD '09. I'd like to see the finished work if it is available.

If it is, what's the title so I can look it up?

BL
    I have a few copies of the Trail Days 2010 special 2 hour complete edition available. it has the ADT map on it.

If you want to send $20 Gen Deliv to Duncannon PA this week, Ill get you a copy out when I get there on the 7th.

Thanks
    LK

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King View Post
    **** you.

There I said it.
    You used the wrong punctuation. There should be an exclamation instead of a period. I think you may have spelled **** wrong also. Can't tell for sure cause I can't see it proper.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    pretty sure sly was joking......

how 'bout you go hike the adt and then you can let us all know
    Planning to do the ADT in 2 years. Got enough money saved up now, but when I finish I want to stay unemployed.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I'm just saying, if he knowingly skipped official sections of trail to go his own way that HE thought was a better, wiser choice, AND did it alittle too often, would it still be considered a thru hike of the ADT?

Well..since the folks who are nice enough to volunteer with sweat equity to make the ADT a reality think so, I'm gonna say yes!

http://www.discoverytrail.org/news/traveler-links.html

Nov. 5, 2008 - Mike Daniel, the "Lion King", finished his hike today! Read his journal at http://www.walkingwithfreedom.com. Read his press release Mike Daniels Press Release.

I am gonna take their opinion over some guy who is thinking about doing this journey.

The future of trails (and the present for most trails) is a corridor approach. Unless there is no trail at all like the route I did most of this weekend...
    Last edited by Mags; 07-05-2010 at 17:54.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Hey LK, You did it dude. Thats all that counts, everything else is irrevelant.

I think I woud have made some of the smae choices. Good work on the videos.

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Actually I do have 10% or more of LK's miles(0ver 9500 miles to date) unless of course you are referring only to the ADT.

As for LK's claim to doing what he believes to be the actual trail: I was lead to believe that after several others had already attempted the ADT and some that indeed had done it before LK, that the trail was defined and on the ground, with of course the exception to a few places.
    I recall an example in one of LK's entries that he deliberately went off the official route and went out of his way to have a different experince of something that was not directly along the trail. Example of this would be to visit Brasstown Bald north of the AT, while doing the AT, then connect up with the AT further north. This would be considered a large blue blazing, similar to what LK has said he has done in his own journal entries.

I'm just saying, if he knowingly skipped official sections of trail to go his own way that HE thought was a better, wiser choice, AND did it alittle too often, would it still be considered a thru hike of the ADT?
    If an AT hiker hiked the trail this way, would he be able to accurately call himself a thru-hiker? Does this kind of thing happen? Yes indeed! When i thru hiked the AT in 1992, there was one hiker whom earned the name "Indigo" for he did as much blue blazing as he could. Having hiked the length of the AT Mtns from GA to ME as little as possible on the AT itself, would the hiking community still acknowledge him as a thru hiker of the AT?
    I recently had this discussion w/ an old whiteblazing friend who thinks if you walk all the way from Ga. to Me. and cover 2172 miles instead of 2175 then you are pretty much a lair and a cheat and therefore disqualified from saying you are a thruhiker.

Having passed every white blaze on 2 thrus and a few blues on 2 others I can honestly say (w/ experience) thats the thinking of an elitist w/ a huge ego. (read: WD types)
    There is a difference between yellow and blue- riding and walking. If you think walking this way instead of that way makes you superior, well, I'm sorry about your childhood.

Where I do draw the line is if you are out to set a speed record and blue blaze, "making history" by cutting off and/or trading trail miles for road miles.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Which route did you take for the Mid-West? Iowa or Missouri.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

You are amazing, Lion King! I wish I could walk as much as you.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Which route did you take for the Mid-West? Iowa or Missouri.
    He took both. He made it to where the trail splits and he took the northern route to Denver, then took the southern route, and finally went from Denver west to San Francisco. You can check out episode 1 of his videos on youtube and it will give you an even better idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdngYmZavU

I'm a huge Lion King fan-- I have three of his hiking DVD's now and I find him really inspiring. I'm glad to be his friend on facebook and to hear what he's up to. A cool guy and a REAL thru-hiker.

~Pj

I'd love to do something like this sometime. Question for you LK: I've been watching your videos on Youtube and I'm wondering what model that nifty little tent is you have.
    Planning my 2011 Long Trail E2E.

Default Well Done!

Congratz, my friend! You do walk...... the walk! Now, when is the BOOK coming out I want one of the 1st
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Images

Lion King is my hero!

the corrolated inverse ratio of fat lost during a hike to its return is directly proportionate to belly button lint migratinon scheduals and their associated picking times and weights.

god help you my lion king.

may the spring lint seasons fiddelheads bloom and die under the same moon.

for he soeverth who b king doth lint spring.

sup?!oxooxoxmatty

Peachfuzz

That's so amazing. How much of the ADT is pure roadwalking?

Images

This thread is so old, that for a minute, I thought he did it again!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by samgriffin4 View Post
    That's so amazing. How much of the ADT is pure roadwalking?
    aprox 2000, but because sometimes youre on old dirt roads and bike paths that are paved, it feels like more.

Especially through Nebraska and Kansasa

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    This thread is so old, that for a minute, I thought he did it again!!!

HA! funny

Ive hiked about 3000 miles since finishing the ADT, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less...not sure really.

the majority of the AT once with WHAT? and the shennies 2X. a bit in PA three times, 100 or so to trail days twice...now Im in CA and hiking as much as I can.

still not enough

Images

If you've got any more copies of the ADT DVD I'll buy one. Just let me know how much and where to send it.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++