WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    You might have company. This guy is going to try to break the supported record. http://www.sportiva.com/live/live-ar...record-attempt
    He won't make it. His comments show how little he knows about the trail.

Example. The Green and White Mountains are the hardest part. I'd say at least of those who have hiked the trail would give the nod to the Mahoosucs of Maine. Someone who has only read books would parrot the Whites and I don't know where he got the idea of Vermont.

More telling - he says no one has broken the record northbound. Completely false. Most of the earlier records were northbound.

He obviously has some skill and ability, but that is not enough to set the supported record. He'll need endurance of a scale far beyond that of a any endurance race. He'll need luck with weather, and an experienced support crew, which he does not have, at least in regard to the AT. At this point, it sounds like he has less experience than a typical thru-hiker planning a six month walk.

Like many have said already, he should walk the trail first and really learn the trail's idiosyncrasies. Then he should consider whether he wants to shoot for a record.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    You might have company. This guy is going to try to break the supported record. http://www.sportiva.com/live/live-ar...record-attempt
    This makes me sad in so many ways:

His grammar is very poor (doesn't Sportiva proofread his stuff?).

He was convinced he could run 50 miles per day on the AT because he got beat up on a Everest trek (a trip that thousands of people of all abilities take every year) and then failed to run the 50 miles from Lukla to Jiri in one day (a well-trodden trail at lower elevations that has been used for hundreds of years).

"My goal was not to beat this but to shatter (sic)." (in reference to the record)
    Where have we heard this before?

"I'm sure you could shoot and or stab most ultra runners and they would still finish the run. Why? Because it makes for a cool story and that feeling you get from doing something that difficult (sic)."
    This is almost unreadable.

"But because she was a women it made such huge news." (in reference to Jennifer Pharr Davis' record).
    Now I'm really getting upset. http://adventure.nationalgeographic....r-pharr-davis/

"My thing is this. Speed is relative, fun is not."
    ug?

I have no problems with trail running, setting records, etc. HYOY! I am not predicting he won't set the record. He is obviously a fine athlete. I wish him the best of luck as I do all thu hikers. Let's just say I probably won't be routing for him as I was for JPD.

"Everyone I ever meet hiking or running is amazing. Everyone their own story (sic). I love it. 2,184.2 miles of smiles. I will however be packing heat just incase (sic)."
    I'm getting sic

"I hope that I can go out there and entertain people while I put myself through hell. I want people to be so inspired they donate money to the American Cancer Society." I'm not feeling inspired or entertained, sorry. Neither is my wife (cancer survivor - 10 year).

"I guess this comes back to the word endurance. People misuse this as a word for stamina. This is not true."
    Actually it is true. Look it up.

Sportiva, Cliff, and Petzel have all chipped in free stuff to sponsor Mr. Blanton.

I skimmed through that guy's blog. I think he would get more pats on the back if his own hand wasn't in the way. Three things come to mind when I try to read that poorly written drivel. 1.) What a tool sack. 2.) The joke with the young bull and the old bull standing on top on the hill looking down at all the cows. 3.) A saying that we had at a past employer of mine, "you can run, but you'll only die tired".
    I hold my wife's purse at the mall to stay close to my testes.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    This makes me sad in so many ways:

"But because she was a women it made such huge news." (in reference to Jennifer Pharr Davis' record).
    Now I'm really getting upset. http://adventure.nationalgeographic....r-pharr-davis/
    Isn't there some truth to this though? Did the previous record breakers make it into the NYT and the National Geographic?

The woman who broke the unsupported record last year seemed to be actually enjoying the hike, not just going for some speed record for the sake of the record by relying on dozens of other people. A lot of professional marathon runners could easily break her record if supported by a couple of dozen people and could make money from doing so. They run a marathon in 2 hours. I doubt they would have much trouble doing a marathon in 3-4 hours in the morning and another in the evening, even with some elevation gain; this would be more than enough to break the supported record.

Quote Originally Posted by nehiker View Post
    Isn't there some truth to this though? Did the previous record breakers make it into the NYT and the National Geographic?

The woman who broke the unsupported record last year seemed to be actually enjoying the hike, not just going for some speed record for the sake of the record by relying on dozens of other people. A lot of professional marathon runners could easily break her record if supported by a couple of dozen people and could make money from doing so. They run a marathon in 2 hours. I doubt they would have much trouble doing a marathon in 3-4 hours in the morning and another in the evening, even with some elevation gain; this would be more than enough to break the supported record.
    Maybe, but can they do it day after day after day after day after...?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    It'd be more like twice a day, day after day, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    I am not one of them, but I would think so. Many people who hike quite a bit could manage 4 miles in an hour, but I suspect most would find this pace unsustainable, while being able to sustain about 2 miles an hour for 10+ hours (perhaps 4 and 2 should be 3 and 1.5; it does not really matter for my point). Likewise, if one can cover 26.2 miles in 2 hours with 100% effort, it seems covering the same distance in 4 hours, even over slightly hillier terrain, would be no big deal for them, just like walking 8 (or 6) miles in 4 hours for many of us, and it is something that can be done twice a day, day after day. With a good a support team, they would not need to carry anymore than they do on their actual marathons.

The current supported record is certainly very impressive, but I think it is something that a professional marathoner could easily beat and ``professional" is an appropriate comparison to make in this case, given the support crew. For this reason, I find unsupported records more remarkable than supported ones.

Images

This is the guy who emailed me (at LightHeart Gear) looking for donations for his socks, 20 something pairs of shoes, a GPS watch and an MP3 player

I find unsupported records more remarkable than supported ones.
    I agree with you. I have no interest in how fast someone can run the AT when they helpers cooking their meals and giving it to them when they pass a trailhead or have their tents set up for them when they arrive or crash in a comfy RV. But if you carry your own gear and actually hike the trail and cook your own meals and set up and break down camp then you've got my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    This is the guy who emailed me (at LightHeart Gear) looking for donations for his socks, 20 something pairs of shoes, a GPS watch and an MP3 player
    Who?

And just so everyone knows I will be going for the unsupported record, no guarantees, but I'm going to try!
    "Teufel Hunden"

Quote Originally Posted by tenn_hiker View Post
    Who?

And just so everyone knows I will be going for the unsupported record, no guarantees, but I'm going to try!
    I think she meant the sportiva guy going for the supported record.

Good luck with your attempt. Since you are young, you should have no joint issues slowing you down, but over 35 mpd, for 60 days straight, in downpours and in 100-degree heat, no matter the terrain, is still hell of a lot.

Images

Likewise, if one can cover 26.2 miles in 2 hours with 100% effort, it seems covering the same distance in 4 hours, even over slightly hillier terrain, would be no big deal for them, just like walking 8 (or 6) miles in 4 hours for many of us, and it is something that can be done twice a day, day after day. With a good a support team, they would not need to carry anymore than they do on their actual marathons.
    I would completely disagree this. Let's look at a slightly different comparison. Marathon running vs. ultra trail running. I doubt even the most elite marathon runners would be competitive in say a 100 mile ultra. They are just too different. If there was a pool of folks that could be competitive with the supported record it would coming out of trail running crowd not the marathon runners.

As far as Jennifer Pharr Davis only getting the press because she is women..... That is a bunch of BS. She got the attention because it was a huge accomplishment to do what she did. I believe Skurka won that honor doing a long fast hike but JPD accomplishment is at least equal to Andrew's. I doubt there are many folks out there that have done multiple 40+ mile days that wouldn't agree that she deserved the recognition.

Finally about Mr Sportiva Running Man, He has done nothing yet, just declare a bunch of foolishness. He should be a bit more humble until he "walks the walk" Reminds me of Sam Fox that was going to shatter the PCT last year. Great athlete but completely clueless on the nuiances needed to break a record. I suspect the unsupported record will go down in the next couple of years, the supported I believe will last a while.

Images

Find it pretty amazing that people can lay down these kind of miles on the AT. I am 53, in decent shape, weigh 230 - with a 30lb pack that is 260lbs for every step. My average is 12 miles and as we all know, you earn every step. That is one of the cool things, to me, about backpacking, especially on the AT.

When you hit those nice easy spots, embrace them, they will soo end.

Arnold Palmer says that golf is 100% mental.........ditto most things in life, but on the AT there also a huge physical piece - the human body was not built to go at this pace for 40, 50, 60+ days in a row. Anyone who thru hikes has my total respect, trail runners I would bow down to!

Good luck to anyone who goes after something like this................ran into a guy at Partnership Shelter in March, 63 miles from Damascus, he got these in 2 days, took me 5. To each his own.

Images

Good Luck, see ya in Damascus 10-15 days from the start if everything goes well.
    Let me know if you need anything.

I think she meant the sportiva guy going for the supported record.

Good luck with your attempt. Since you are young, you should have no joint issues slowing you down, but over 35 mpd, for 60 days straight, in downpours and in 100-degree heat, no matter the terrain, is still hell of a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    Good Luck, see ya in Damascus 10-15 days from the start if everything goes well.
    Let me know if you need anything.
    If I get to Damascus in 10-15 days I will be making some pretty good miles!! I'm going SOBO haha.
    "Teufel Hunden"

Images

Sorry I thought I'd read you were going north, or maybe you've changed your mind.
    Well, start plus 35-38 about right to hit Damascus?

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    Sorry I thought I'd read you were going north, or maybe you've changed your mind.
    Well, start plus 35-38 about right to hit Damascus?
    I view it as a good thing. He knew where Damascus was. That is better than some.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I agree with you. I have no interest in how fast someone can run the AT when they helpers cooking their meals and giving it to them when they pass a trailhead or have their tents set up for them when they arrive or crash in a comfy RV. But if you carry your own gear and actually hike the trail and cook your own meals and set up and break down camp then you've got my attention.
    I also tend to be more respectful of the un-supported style too but everyone has some support. It might be someone sending packages from home, cell phone to shuttle service into towns, a campground night, a slack-pack (which I don't do btw) - - the question becomes where do you draw the line because it's not so clear. If you have a chase vehicle and a local "crew" then you ARE clearly supported but how much support can you receive and still check the "un-supported" box? - - I really don't know - - maybe it's just a "hike your own hike" thing .....

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    the question becomes where do you draw the line because it's not so clear. If you have a chase vehicle and a local "crew" then you ARE clearly supported but how much support can you receive and still check the "un-supported" box? - - I really don't know - - maybe it's just a "hike your own hike" thing .....
    Papa D, this is indeed a very good question.

I believe that the new standard for an "unsupported" thru-hiker speed record should be set in a similar "no vehicular support style" such as what's been upheld by Scott Williamson and Adam Bradley on the PCT:

‘I will NOT have anyone following, or otherwise meeting me in prearranged manner to give me support. I plan to do this hike as a backpacker, carrying all of my food, equipment, and water between resupply towns. I will walk into supply towns to pick up mailed, prepackaged food boxes or to purchase food, then walk back to the trail via the same route I came in on. I will not be getting into a vehicle for any reason during this attempt, or skipping any section of trail. If I receive a lift from any vehicle or skip a portion of trail (no matter the distance) the attempt is off. I will be following the official PCT route, taking no detours, road walks or alternates of any kind.’

I think this would be a good way to set the new standard for future attempts on the AT because clearly hitch-hiking can be a slippery slope into prearranged shuttles, which can be a slippery slope into an even more supported attempt.

In case anyone is interested, map man did a great job of working out the logistics of just such a hike (in a southbound direction):
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...46#post1229946

a unsupported record attempt is just the same as a traditional thruhike, just alot faster!
    pre-arranged rides are a no-no and i think the cell phone thing should be frowned upon !
    hitch hiking is part of a thruhike, you might get a ride in minutes or maybe an hour, but calling someone on your cell phone just made it a supported hike IMO
    get creative and rides can happen :-)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++