WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

I will not be setting any records, definitely take Del Q off the list...........

BUT, I do plan on completing the Triple Crown in time

My father said to me a long time ago that "a good day is when all of my body parts work right", and he was not talking about his, well, you know!

The human endeavor continues, new records continue to be set which is cool................my goal is to get to a 14 mile/day average over my current 12

That is my story and I'm sticking with it!

In an unsupported thru (for a record) is the hiker "allowed" to hitch into town for resupply or must they walk? If they walk can they ditch their pack (don't know why they would)?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    In an unsupported thru (for a record) is the hiker "allowed" to hitch into town for resupply or must they walk? If they walk can they ditch their pack (don't know why they would)?
    There are no clearly defined rules... However, Scott Williamson may have set the standard with his walk to all resupply points, no vehicles at any time during the hike approach. As far as slack packing, most folks doing a record attempt will be so lightweight that there would be no advantage. And then where do you put your food?

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    it would be just like a traditional thruhike without the slackpacking and pre-arranged rides to town. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    it would be just like a traditional thruhike without the slackpacking and pre-arranged rides to town. IMO
    This.

The Williamson-standard is just another level I guess.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

--------------------------------------
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 11-28-2011 at 16:38.

I disagree...if someone hikes the PCT in less time then Williamson and takes rides, they have still hiked the PCT in less time than Williamson. He chose to walk into towns, what a hiker chooses to do 'off trail' has no relevance to the overall time as far as I'm concerned, I accept people will disagree with this notion...it's all good.

Also...with the unsupported thing. Again there is no clarity on this. How come an unsupported thru-hike of the Long Trail means carrying everything on your back (except water for some reason) for the duration of the hike, yet an unsupported thru-hike of the PCT allows resupply? Argubly because the PCT or any trail over 500 miles is probably not hikeable without resupplying, however there are different rules for different trails - it's seems very silly.

Then take Ward Leonard, his unsupported hike in 1990 still stands, but he took hitches here and there. Do we now call this legendary hike 'self-supported'? If so, let me ask you another question, what hike ISN'T self-supported??

Images

To me supported is people meeting you at the trailhead and having/providing access to all kinds of things, food being just one of them. Its easy to throw mileage numbers around, but the AT is rugged and very tough, mentally and physically. I tell people that the "romantic notion" wears off on like day 2, add some rain and lots of ups.........sooner than that.

The miles that ALL of these people deliver are truly impressive, no way that anything can or should ever be taken away from them. I would never short someone because they got rides or hitched to/from town to resupply. Of course, at their speed, 4-5 miles is what, 10 minutes each way?

I guess I'll let everyone at Whiteblaze know, that I won't be on the AT this year. I was seriously considering it, but I haven't found the perfect support I need to go after it in 2012. I will do it the way Jenn did it, very stealth. Problem is, my personal sponsors....Red Bull, BC.com, Hoka one one, all would rather see a bigger production like last time, (blog,make a movie etc.). I won't do it that way again. It sure was fun, noone can deny that, but even in 2008 when I made the attempt, I wanted to go stealth, but that didn't work out. Will I hike only? Probably not, I would go about the same "pace" as I did last time, pay more attention to tendinitis as well, and I would not stop in certain locations so the RV could have a place to park. I still think the "mule" concept is not necessarily right, where others can carry some stuff, but still, if I were to sleep in the woods, someone would set up the pad and spot to sleep. I would carry my own water and food on each section, it's just my style. Last time, I stopped so many times at 5-6pm, when it was still light. That is not the way to break a record. I must go scumbag it, which I am also very good at. :-) if I choose to do it that way.

In reality, if I had a great run at it, I honestly think the record could fall about 3 days faster. Believe me, I"m no "cowboy", but if all goes well, Jenn's record will go down in the next few years. Will it be me? who knows, but next time, (2013) will be the year I go after it, even on my own without a sponsor if I have to. I have a little unfinished business there. I lost way too much time with in-efficiency taking care of my crew.

Just thought I'd make it clear to all that this is not gonna be the year for the Speedgoat on the AT. I will say it is a bummer.

Thanks for correcting the spelling map man, so many people get it wrong, I appreciate it
    Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I believe that if Scott Williamson or Andrew Skurka ever made it a priority they have the ability and experience to have a chance to break Ward Leonard's "self supported" record of 60.5 days. The most remarkable things they are known for involves carrying a pack while doing amazing things, rather than going the "supported" route, so their chances at Leonard's record are easier to gauge than their chances at Pharr Davis's record. I have no idea how likely it is that either will ever decide to try it.

From what I read, there is some chance Karl Meltzer (note the spelling -- it's not "Metzger") will take a shot at the supported record soon. If he does it will be interesting to see if this time around he does less running and instead pursues a strategy more similar to Pharr Davis's.

I think what Scott Williamson has done on the PCT is amazing. To take 64 days to complete it in a high snow year, without support and without getting into a motor vehicle to speed up (and make easier) resupplies, just impresses me no end. Hiking "Scott Williamson style" has an appeal to me. Not the speed -- I could never do anything close to that -- but resupplying without motor vehicle assist. It seeems like on my two week backpacking trips (the most days on trail for me as yet) getting into a vehicle always feels like it's taking me out of the experience. I think it might be fun and challenging to try to work the logistics of a long hike, limiting myself to doing all my resupplies by walking.

Note that these are all arm chair observations. I have no real world experience with speed hikes. And my track record with speed hike predictions -- I estimated before she started that JPD's likely time on the AT this year was going to be a good week more than what she then did it in -- have not been so hot.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Meltzer View Post
    I guess I'll let everyone at Whiteblaze know, that I won't be on the AT this year....I will say it is a bummer.
    Yeah, bummer Karl, I enjoyed following your 2008 attempt and honestly didn't mind the big production, though I know some here didn't like it much. 2013 will be here before you know it. And 45 straight days of walking is nothing to take lightly. 3 Days faster is a VERY interesting prediction...

not necessarily a prediction, dont' take it that way. I"m just saying that if it all clicks perfectly, that I feel it's doable, not just from me, but a few of those folks mentioned at the top of this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Yeah, bummer Karl, I enjoyed following your 2008 attempt and honestly didn't mind the big production, though I know some here didn't like it much. 2013 will be here before you know it. And 45 straight days of walking is nothing to take lightly. 3 Days faster is a VERY interesting prediction...

Images

I think it is very possible to take 3 days off the record. I still remember when squeaky was talking about a sub 40 thru hike...

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Meltzer View Post
    ....but next time, (2013) will be the year I go after it, even on my own without a sponsor if I have to. I have a little unfinished business there. I lost way too much time with in-efficiency taking care of my crew.
    2013. Awesome. That's my year. I hope I don't blink when you go flying by.......
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

If you spend a good chunk of your life trying to set a record ( here AT record) then you need to define The record first. I do not know any of these great speed hikers personally but I might do the same thing Wilimson did. He is trying to define a new concept that is "Unsupported no ride".

I think he is trying to equalize the mileage of all record contenders as close at possible. The boldest and at the same time the best thing that has come to his mind is deleting the hitch hiking mileage for every body.

The problem is that this shift might not be accepted with all the record contenders and so in a few years we might end up with two subcategory in Unsupported category with two different record holders: 1- with ride 2- no ride.

Even with so called Wiliamson_standard it is unlikely that all the record contenders end up hiking the same mileage( due to a forest fire and a temporary rerout for instance) but it is a legitimate way to equalize the mileage or at least the best way he has come with .

I think WB and this thread is a good place to discuss but we need more record contender in this discussion. I wish more listed hikers like Karl start to share their thoughts about this pottential new standard.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    The problem is that this shift might not be accepted with all the record contenders and so in a few years we might end up with two subcategory in Unsupported category with two different record holders: 1- with ride 2- no ride.
    I don't think the ride vs no ride is an issue. Regardless or whether they take a ride they will be hiking 2653 of the PCT. The bigger issue is what defines the trail. Take last year, is the frog detour or the original route the "OFFICIAL" route? Scott and Adam would likely argue that the original route is the only option. But you are violating the restrictions placed on the route and could be fined for violating. And the PCT was just rerouted in the area around the Suattle River, adding mileage. So any future hiker will have a longer official route. And fire closures are also problematic. Some would argue that you should violate fire closures on a record attempt. Should you?

I would consider an "unsupported attempt" one that noone, helps the hiker anywhere "on the trail". If the said hiker hitches a ride to town to get supplies, it's still unsupported (in my opinion), because these rides to town aren't "on the trail". The instant an "unsupported" hiker gets water from anyone, then they've been supported. There are too many arguements in each direction, and way too much to monitor. We all know an unsupported hike is easy to cheat, and although none of these faster guys and gals would be expected to cheat,it's impossible to really know. When I ran it in 2008, I had a SPOT device, but it was essentially useless for tracking because it didn't ping every minute, it only pinged when it felt like it. :-)

Anyway you look at it, it's a tough call, very hard to judge. Honesty is really the best policy, we've all heard that before.

Damn, I'm getting excited to do it again......maybe I need to go run another 100.....

Default self-supported hike

I'll take the bait: I'm interested in attempting to hike the AT in a self-supported style in less than 60 days next year as defined by Buzz Burrell (from Peter Bakwin's FKT site: http://pbakwin.home.comcast.net/~pbakwin/FKT.html )

This would be my 3rd thru-hike of the AT. I would probably attempt it SOBO. I like how Williamson hiked in to resupply during his PCT hike and am interested in hearing what towns/resupply points would be must-stops and would minimize the "bonus" mileage that one would have to hike. Obviously, this would be an important strategy for any self-supported attempt and I appreciate any input/advice on the matter.

I'm leaving the country for a few weeks, but look forward to catching up on this thread when I return. Thanks.

-Matt

Default Exciting News!

This is so exciting! I would LOVE for Matt Kirk to try for a trail record - supported or unsupported. He has a great temperament, he respects and loves the trail, and he has lots of trail experience and wisdom. I know that Matt has exposed a lot of other individuals to hiking and trail running in the Appalachian mountains, and I am sure that trend will continue. I have seen him moving through the mountains and he is both graceful and humble - it will be a joy to watch Matt in the future, regardless of whether or not he decides to travel down the AT next summer.
    Also, MK has a phenomenal (thru-hiker) wife and awesome (thru-hiker) dog. If those two were waiting at the end of the trail, it would be worth hiking efficiently to see them again ; )
    Yay Matt!

what if all contenders raced at the same time(year),say 2015 and then every 5 years after that.has this been posed before?It sure would put alot of these questions to beb,or perhalps raise more.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++