WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default shelf life of dehydrated/vacuum sealed foods

what is the shelf life for 100% dehydrated food vacuum sealed???

Images

The shelf life will vary depending on manufacturers. In reality what you will find is that most are using a "best by" date and that is usually 1-3 years. For example, Enertia Trail Foods says that their food products are shelf stable for 1 year, and ETF/Coleman have a shelf life of 2 years. Mountain House says that the shelf life of their pouched meals is 7 years.

Truth is that even beyond those dates the food is still very safe, edible and quite good. If anything you might find slight changes in taste and appearance.

I would think the amount of time varies by the food product, and also varies by glass or the bag, amount of evacuation of air (the quality of the vacuum itself) and if it is stored out of direct light, which seems reasonable, but I don't know for certain.

How long would the food have what percentage of it's original nutritional value? I would like to know.

I had some expired government canned food: I had constipation.

See, I have a question about this as well, except with dehydrated food I vacuum seal.

Food I plan on dehydrating is like spaghetti and such...

I wonder how long it'll stay good in bump boxes that friends will be sending at different times to different locations without refrigeration, etc.

Anybody have a clue?

Thanks,

-Kevin

Stir Fry

Mountainhouse says 7 years for packe 25 years for cans'

Quote Originally Posted by traftonm View Post
    Mountainhouse says 7 years for packe 25 years for cans'

Yea I think their stuff is freezed dried, not dehyrated. Not a expert in this field but I understand its a big difference in longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by PUNKINPUSS11 View Post
    what is the shelf life for 100% dehydrated food vacuum sealed???
    I don't know, but I know, generally speaking, freeze-dried food does last longer, because dehydrated food isn't really 100% dehydrated, because if you dehydrate it 100% the "cooking" process will eliminate much of the nutrients. That is why most dehydrated foods are done not when they're brittle, but must be leathery and pliable -- I forget how much moisture content remains (and should remain) after dehydration.

However, the process of freeze drying allows pretty much all removal of moisture without a significant decline in nutritional value.

I don't refrigerate, nor do I vacuum pack; I simply put in ziplock bags and keep at room temp and away from sunlight. I've eaten my dehydrated food (beef/chicken jerky and various fruits and veges) about a year from dehydration with no ill affects. I don't know how much longer I could keep that food.

++ New Posts ++