WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1383 of 2450 FirstFirst ... 383 883 1283 1333 1373 1379 1380 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1393 1433 1483 1883 2383 ... LastLast
Results 27,641 to 27,660 of 49000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    found a sock out back.
    somebody here lose a sock?

Could be the ONE that the new guy is looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by FatHead64 View Post
    Hope you had a good time! You may have said before, but being essentially lazy - are you going to be maintaining a blog on this somewhere? I think SS was going to help, just can't remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    He is on trailjournals.com, I have been cyber-prepping with him.
    We did have a good time last night. We danced and danced. The reality of seperation is starting to set in. Just the thought of absence is making the hearts grow fonder already.
    As Sandy says I'm on trailjournals. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11730 But still trying to figure out things on there. For one thing I can't figure out how to get my latest entry to the front, and just stuff like that. But I'll do the best I can. And SS is going to be updating it for me too and coming on here in the cafe to update everybody. I'll get online when I can and it's convenient.
    Sandy, are you gonna be on the trail soon? i know you said something about meeting up at Trail Days but I was wondering if you were gonna be on the trail and when.

Milkman, didn't know you were on Trail Journals, now your on my tool bar(quick menu), and will follow along with excitement and good wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Could be the ONE that the new guy is looking for!
    Been looking for that...thanks, please send to

Rocketsocks died
    c/o one sock
    one rocket way
    NJ, 0ICU812

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...-died#comments

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Who are you and what did do with Rocket Socks?
    System restored

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    There was a system upgrade in which they replaced RS with a new OS.
    I didn't get the memo

In an unrelated note, I woke up and can't get back to sleep.
    Ain't that a bitch!

The good thing about insomnia is that if you use the time wisely, you can learn all sorts of important things:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...t-could-happen

Doping In Ice Fishing? The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency Says It Could Happen

By Joe Cermele
    I learned some interesting things about doping this morning per this article in The New York Times. You, like me, might have assumed that only athletes who engage in strength-based or agility-based or stamina-based sports would dope. Not true. In 2011, two pro mini golfers and one chess player tested positive for banned substances, according to the World Doping Agency. I guess if put-put players and board gamers think there's an advantage to juicing, why not ice fishermen? That's why the U.S. doping agency tested members of the Russian Ice Fishing Team following their win at the World Ice Fishing Championship in Wisconsin.

As I understand it, this is all part of a bid to get ice fishing included in the Olympics, which may actually happen down the line, though it's a long shot. Still, the thinking is that if you want to be treated like an Olympic athlete, you'll have to be subjected to the same testing as skiers and hockey players. Given that we're talking ice fishing, however, the testing was kind of taken with a grain of salt. After all, what are you going to do better doped up? Drill 300 more holes? Work a jig faster?
    “We do not test for beer, because then everybody would fail,” said Joel McDearmon, chairman of the United States Freshwater Fishing Federation...
    Bill Whiteside, a previous gold medal winner from Eau Claire, Wis., said that physical strength often had little to do with fishing success.
    “It’s not the best athlete that usually wins the events,” he said. “A lot of times it’s the experienced older guys.”
    The Doping Agency didn't find anything afoul in the Russian team's urine.
    And remember, "only Dope's use Dope"

Quote Originally Posted by FatHead64 View Post
    Found an article about WOO skills...

Attachment 20292
    In the blood huh?, pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    He is on trailjournals.com, I have been cyber-prepping with him.
    Sandy that is awesome of you, very cool_2.gif

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice article Fathead! I could zoom up and read it....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Nice article Fathead! I could zoom up and read it....
    Just the iPhone, but I uploaded full quality - took awhile getting that odd my phone. I should read the rest of the article - I was just excited about trying to contribute to the bird fest.

Journal Entries
    Images

Its all fun & good and nobody got poked in the eye....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Well, quite the epic hike I had yesterday on Pico - not! I got to the Sherburne Pass parking by Inn at Long Trail. Checked for my snow shoes in the trunk, where I thought I'd put them, with my other gear. Not there. No problem, I think, S.P. trail is well hiked, will be packed down - was on 1/19, and the snow the other day up this far was only a few inches. Don the spikes and let's get going.

I made it 0.1, to the first sign. Post-holed about 1 in 5 steps to start with, then progressively more. More like 4 of 5 steps 100 yards in. Turned around, defeated for a third time by the easy Pico. Annoyed, I decide, time to get in some A.T., one way or another - will do the roadwalks in the Hanover area. Drove Rt 4, where I got a vexatious and expensive speeding ticket in January (I made it to Pico Camp at 3525' or so and turned back due to high winds and low temps that day). Got to the turnoff to West Hartford, had to go check it out. Had a greasy burger at the refurbished West Hartford General Store, and took some pics and talked with the proprietor. He said they'd been washed out Irene, but were back 100% - place looked good, he said he's ready for hiker season. The Irene Burger - no kidding - was good, but I shouldn't have had the fries. I considered hiking all the way into Hanover - he said it was 9 miles or so - and asking for a ride back into W.H., but opted against, since I wanted to spend some time in town.

Had fun walking the roaded A.T. part in Hanover, about a mile and a half, and some neighboring streets. There was a gorgeous picture book entitled "Moosilauke" at the bookstore which I highly recommend. Got to the Vermont side of the bridge and, which snapping pics of it, dropped my iPhone a second time on the day. First time, I'd made a mental note - "I really need to go ahead and get a case for this thing." Second time was most unfortunate - it fell flat on its face on the sidewalk, and the screen shattered.

Well crap! At least I have insurance, right? Call Verizon, they give me the info I need - purchase date, which I knew, and phone serial number - then connect me to Asurion. I guess it's true that there's a wave of serious iPhone fraud, as they give me the third degree, standard operating procedure, between the hold messages menacingly talking about prosecution for fraud, is your phone really broken or lost, etc., and the attendant, who was courteous, saying she needed to send me an affidavit to guard against identity fraud. I pushed back, and she noted that I've been with them 8 years and was a good customer, so she talked to supervisor and was able to waive the aff requirement. Was annoying when I was already majorly bummed out about the broken phone. But it got better - wait, there's more!

So I figured the co-pay would be more than the $50 I paid on my old Palm Treo, then new, in 2006. Little did I know! It was $169! I mentioned this, not in anger, more in a bit of shock, to the CSR, and she said, yes, it's high for high end phones. Of course, $169 is better than $600 or so for a new phone, but man!

Funny thing is, the phone still works, including the touch screen. I made the call from my broken phone. Poor thing's face was broken like some errant mobster's but it's still ticking, to borrow a phrase from Timex.

Anyhow, after the phone break, I opted against the VT portion of my "hike", which would've added 3.4 miles RT. As it was, I logged about 0.2 postholing and about 3.0 side-walking. A day of contrasts, mostly a day wasted and be-vexed, if that's a word. Did hear a very interesting show on VPR about computer coding which I found encouraging, and it was nice to see the "other West Hartford." New phone should get to me Tuesday.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Sounds like an all-round good day

Wow, that was a good crappy day, they don't get much crappier098.jpg than that, but look on the bright side...spring is in the air, and you get to try again. "Crokies are up" and your not below them!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Sounds like an all-round good day
    Coach did you dig down to see if your crokies were up?

Its all fun & good and nobody got poked in the eye....
    Just wait till Bird Brain checks-in, he might be homeless soon!Maine 001.jpgI'm thinking of buying it.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by One Sock View Post
    Just wait till Bird Brain checks-in, he might be homeless soon!Maine 001.jpg
    That seems like a really great deal, do you think I could get a loan with no down payment?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

As I suspected - Hammock Forum only shows the DIY and Hammocks - for free - donating unlocks all the other areas.

Woo

That seems like a really great deal, do you think I could get a loan with no down payment?
    Suuuure, I hear Washington is given em away! I never use my money to buy.

As I suspected - Hammock Forum only shows the DIY and Hammocks - for free - donating unlocks all the other areas.
    That's the only reason I haven't joined yet...I still may.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I will be looking for a new café victim mañana.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Who are you and what did do with Rocket Socks?
    There was a system upgrade in which they replaced RS with a new OS.
    Been looking for that...thanks, please send to

Rocketsocks died
    c/o one sock
    one rocket way
    NJ, 0ICU812

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...-died#comments
    Rats. RS was going to be my next victim. I saw where he was trying to change his name to Socks, but it was already taken. I was going to set up a poll to determine a new name for him. Choices were going to be, Smelly Socks, Darn Socks, Holy Socks, Dirty Socks, Missing Socks, Red Sox, etc.... I should have posted it last night. I failed PoHoing 1.01 again. Never put off a post until tomorrow that can be done today.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Rats. RS was going to be my next victim. I saw where he was trying to change his name to Socks, but it was already taken. I was going to set up a poll to determine a new name for him. Choices were going to be, Smelly Socks, Darn Socks, Holy Socks, Dirty Socks, Missing Socks, Red Sox, etc.... I should have posted it last night. I failed PoHoing 1.01 again. Never put off a post until tomorrow that can be done today.
    But at least you learned.....I also checked out Sox...it was taken, but hey have your pole, I'll respond to most anything!

But at least you learned.....I also checked out Sox...it was taken, but hey have your pole, I'll respond to most anything!
    I will think about it... ColdFoot. Dinner time. Later lurkers.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

++ New Posts ++