WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New Hostel in Maryland

It is with great anticipation (and some anxiety) that I announce to you all the opening of our new hiker hostel for the 2007 season. Since completing my thru this past year my wife and I decided to embark on another adventure. We sold our house and moved next to the trail (well, 0.3 miles off the trail) to open The Free State Hiker. You should find us in the 2007 Companion and probably Wingfoot's book.

It's development can be tracked at www.trailjournals.com/kenberry

We look forward to meeting and laughing with all the folks that pass through!

-Bone Pac

Am expecting my Companion to arrive any day. Am interested in reading about your place....best of luck and have a great first season!!

Default Good Luck Bone Pac

Sorry Bone Pac, I have to stay away from you. You made me fall twice last year. Ha!!!

I fall down faster when I get around you than I do after drinking too much brown whiskey.

Good luck with the hostel.

Too bad we missed each other last month. I was looking forward to seeing your place.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Geezer

Don't make us wait for the Companion! Can you give us the details? Where, etc?
    Frosty

Chances are I'll be passing your way next summer. But.... how many nights does a thru-hiker spend in Maryland, anyway???

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    It's on a country road in Washington County, about .3 off the trail and not far from the Ensign Cornwall Shelter

Teej < reading Bone Pac's trailhournal backwards
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by terrapin_too View Post
    Chances are I'll be passing your way next summer. But.... how many nights does a thru-hiker spend in Maryland, anyway???
    More than I expected, my mobile HQ in Baltimore will have a new baby residing in it and I may need to spend more time away from there. How far are you from Baltimore and when do you open ?

Terrapin:

You're right, people aren't in Maryland very long, but the lodging options (i.e. indoor ones) between Waynesboro VA and Duncannon PA are quite limited: Most folks don't stay at the lodges in Shenandoah Park; I'm not sure if the Hostel near Compton Gap will be open next year; many people skip Front Royal, and many folks can't afford to pay for a motel in Harpers Ferry. Other than the AYH Hostel near Harpers, there really isn't anywhere reasonably priced to overnight (indoors) for quite a distance; I can't think of anywhere reasonably priced and close to the Trail in Maryland or Southern PA (the motels and B&B's in such places as Waynesboro PA or Boiling Springs are over-priced). There really isn't much til you get to the Hostel in Pine Grove, which is a long way.

In short, a good hostel in Maryland could probably do well, especially if folks have been going thru a rough patch (rain or excessive heat) when they get there.

Images

I just happened to be reading Ken's journal last night, hence finding what you wanted was easy for me. Frosty and whoever else wants to go straight to the information, click here and keep clicking next.

Well, Maryland is more or less smack-dab in the middle of next years' section, so I'm very interested in all the scuttlebutt and all possible lodging / resupply options. I'm taking notes...

Images

Bears Den Hostel to Blackburn Center to Harpers Hostel are basically like taking an extra zero day, so one or two of these is more the norm. As Jack says, this section could easily use another Hostel.
    Rambler

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I just happened to be reading Ken's journal last night, hence finding what you wanted was easy for me. Frosty and whoever else wants to go straight to the information, click here and keep clicking next.
    Thank you, sir!
    Frosty

Here is a MAP of the area.

TOPO MAP of the area.
    Last edited by veteran; 12-28-2006 at 14:40.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Default new hostel info

found this info about Bone pac's hostel:
    see post: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=157182

also continuing reading the posts after the one above to get the latest greatest info concerning this hostel....

Bone Pac, u are going way beyond the call of duty by providing the facilities that u are providing. I just hope that u have enuff hikers show u and your family respect for your facilities and your efforts... NOTE: many hostels exist along the AT that at some point become overrun by thoughtless and unappreciative "visitors"... The best of luck with your endeavor. i.e., your family's endeavor.

Images

Default Fyi

The link just posted is 1 next click from the link I posted earlier. If you want to see the link I posted, click previous. Except for what I just pointed out, you'll be looking at the same information regardless of which link you follow.

$30 for a bunkroom is high.

The great thing about facilities on or near the Trail is that use of them by hikers is entirely voluntary.

Lone Wolf is entirely correct in stating that the $30.00 listed figure is somewhat higher than what other places charge for similar services, but then again, nobody has yet seen this facility, its features, or its amenities. It sure sounds like they're creating a very nice place. Some hostels, in my opinion, charge too little for what they offer to hikers. A few charge too much. In the end, the individual hiker can decide for themself whether or not they require the service offered, and whether or not it's "worth it." And this is how it should be.

Geezer

$30 may seem a bit high, but it isn't nearly what I'd charge if I were to run a hostel. Which I'm not. Hopefully by charging up front, he can avoid the folks who scoff at hostel owners who put out a donation box and skip.

What I like is that it is close to the trail, and he says he'll have bikes to ride into Smithsburg (there is a Food Lion there). It's been a long long time since I did the section between Harpers Ferry and Duncannon, but I recall carrying a LOT of food.
    Frosty

$30 may seem high on the face of it but Bone Pac is encountering a lot of start up costs (site plan, traffic study, permits, paint, wood, wiring, licensing, etc, etc, etc) that will have to be amortized over a heck of a lot of hikers before they will start to make any money. Likely a lot of the older hostels didn't have near the start up costs that he is facing due to the need of government to ensure safety of society, balance budgets (and so fees are increased for plan review, etc) and the litigiousness of our society.

Looks like an exciting venture. In order to do this you have to be a risk-taker. Good luck Bone Pac. I'm routing for your venture to succeed.

Images

Goint thru CT I spent $65 for a night in a dive. I didn't care though. I was in such poor spirits I just needed a short period to regroup. The next day I was great and banged out a 28 miler. $30 for a nice stay in Maryland is a bargain if you ask me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++