WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: What is your favorite AT State?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up Favorite State on the AT

As difficult as it may be, select your favorite state that the AT passes through. Feel free to provide rationale for your decision, as well as the time of year you enjoyed most.

I've listed North Carolina and Tennessee as the same state, since the Trail runs along the border much of the way.

Finally, you should have at least hiked part of the state that you're choosing; none of this "I think this will be my favorite state" opinions!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

NC / TN because of the grassy balds, the experience of watching the forest come to life in April and May and as a northbounder the experience of thru hiking was so new and exciting that first month that I find myself thinking back to those days more than most.

Greyson Highlands, Shenandoahs, Tinkers Cliffs, MacAffee's Knob, Dragons Tooth, Damascus, Waynesboro, I am in love with Virginia

Bliss, with euphoria a close second.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Although I haven't done more than a few sections yet in MA,
    What I've seen and heard, the Green mountian state is something I look foward to.

Make a donation to the Jimmy Fund Walk for Cancer

Well, I voted for NC/TN primarily because thats where I've done the most hiking and have the best memories. I started in NC too. It pulls me back like a magnet. I will say that I'm not making a negative statement about the other states. I've only hiked in GA, NC/TN and VA. I would love to do the whole thing so I could have an objective opinion. Think my wife would go for that? NAA!

Default Favorite State

I'm often asked what is your favorite part of the AT. My reply is that it's like asking a mother which child she likes best, because every state has their attributes.

But, Maine is truely magical.

Images

For me it PA. Why...because I asked Mrs Mongo to marry me at the Doyle that is why!

Mongo

Hundreds of AT hikers every year walk almost two thousand miles to get to -- MAINE! :O)
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

the Smokies and the rest of NC/Tn is so beautiful...why go anywhere else!
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Maine - challenging at first; contemplative later (northbound) all in beautiful surroundings - forest, moss, rock outcroppings, streams, waterfalls, rivers, timberline, fresh smelling air (except in the Mahoosucs), sandy beaches, waves and whitecaps, wildlife, swimming places galore, and glimpses of the 'holy mountain'.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Maine. But do yourself a favor and keep the "Hundred miles" just that. Its a better experience in my opinion.

White Blaze/Pack on Back

Images

Vermont, because when you are headed NB you stop crossing roads every 3 or 4 miles when you cross into the GMNF. Also, the woods seem to smell better. Oh yeah, The Inn At Long Trail. Skip the relo and head directly there for a pint and some Guinness Stew.

maine, no doubt about it.

Angry Favorite State on the AT

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    As difficult as it may be, select your favorite state that the AT passes through. Feel free to provide rationale for your decision, as well as the time of year you enjoyed most.

I've listed North Carolina and Tennessee as the same state, since the Trail runs along the border much of the way.

Finally, you should have at least hiked part of the state that you're choosing; none of this "I think this will be my favorite state" opinions!
    I don't see Florida or Kentucky on this list!!!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I don't see Florida or Kentucky on this list!!!
    That's because the AT doesn't run through either Florida or Kentucky, Pirate.

Images

Default favorites

Peaks that analogy to a mother picking her favorite child is excellent ! Never want to hurt any states feeelings!

I really can't decide- top 2 would be:

Maine-truly special scenary and feeling as you contemplate the end as a NOBO. For me the maine woods really transformed into a special feeling somewhere aroundd Caratunk. And all the Trail towns are pretty unique unlike any other state.

Virginia-such a diverse state with so much different scenary to offer (because of its length). From the obvious like the Grayson Highlands and Shenendoah to the less like the area just south and north of Catawba (which i thought was a gem) and really the whole stretch from Daleville to Waynsboro (Jennings Creek, Apple Orchard Mountain, James River, Punchbowl, Cold Mtn, Tar JackeT Ridge, The priest and the three ridges and Tye River).

Honorable mention goes to Jersey and New Hampshire. Many a thru-hiker couldn't believe how 'wild' and pretty jersey is. The ridge walking in the state as well as wildlife is pretty neat IMO
    And the Whites speak for themselves.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default Nj

New Jersey
    It was the most diverse....mountains, cow pastures, bog logs, roads...a little taste of everything.
    Cedar Tree

Default PA Rocks

What are you thinking of? My favorite state on the AT is Pennsy. Rocks, heat humidity, rattle snakes and no water. What more could an ex-ranger ask for?

Grey Owl

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Walkin Home will pick Maine. Hmmmmm. . .

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++