WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Chop your Heinie...

...and still have a rim that adds rigidity and accepts a tight lid. Right! Let’s get down to work:

Get some Dinty Moore microwaveable stew. I’m partial to the chicken & dumplings.

Cut the aluminum rim off with a razor knife. Leave that bit of plastic inside the rim-you’ll need it later.

Turn the rim upside-down, place it on your Heinie, and and chop the pot about an 1/8” above the new rim.

Make 16 evenly spaced cuts down to the new rim, bend the tabs parallel with the top of the pot, and round off the corners of the tabs with your scissors.

Finish bending all the tabs over the new rim with some needle-nose pliers.

Remember the plastic left in the rim? Heat the rim with a pencil torch(a lighter will work in a pinch). The plastic will expand and seal the tabs in place.

Seal up the lid from the Dinty Moore with some foil, Styrofoam, ccf, etc. Snap it on top your pot and you’re ready to cook*.

Disclaimer: Don’t try to “cook” with this lid. It’s suited for boil and dump, AKA freezer bag cooking. Boiling water longer than 3-5 minutes may result in small melted spots on the lid.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Awesome, I did this yesterday and it worked quite well. 1.2oz for a pot with lid, less than an hour to make, only a few dollars and I had an evening snack out of it! Thanks for the great idea.

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA-->ME

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver2005 View Post
    Awesome, I did this yesterday and it worked quite well. 1.2oz for a pot with lid, less than an hour to make, only a few dollars and I had an evening snack out of it! Thanks for the great idea.

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA-->ME
    You're welcome.

I'm happy you found it useful.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

Default An update.

After much experimentation, I've found that the rims from "Luck's Chicken and Dumplings" (ConAgra) are far and away the easiest to work with and the best fit.

Also, a cut-down Boy Scout cup makes a remarkably tight fitting, effecient lid.
    Skids

++ New Posts ++