WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

:banana Fresh Eggs On The Trail

As some of you know, I like stoves.

I like eggs, like I like stoves.

I want to make fresh eggs on the trail.

I currently use this one egg poacher to make my morning breakfast. I poach one egg and serve it on one piece of toast.

I've found several ways of treating eggs on the WWW to keep them usable and safe. This spring I'll be taking fresh eggs with me on the trails to have for breakfast.

Here are some photos of the poacher. It's light weight, only requires 1/2 inch of water in the pot to make it work. Total capacity of water for the pot is 1 cup. Hiking solo may only require 1 cup of water at a time to be used for many of you.

egg poacher

ready to cook

egg is done sunny side up

ready to be consumed

egg and toast is gone

like em scrambled (before)

like em scrambled (after)

with catsup

all thats left
    Last edited by zelph; 02-15-2007 at 19:10.

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Have any of you taken fresh eggs with you when on the trails?
    Yes, I have. There are already at least two threads on this topic here on WhiteBlaze. A search will probably find them quickly for you, if you're after information on taking fresh eggs.

Nice photos.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

On a related note, I have often seen that particular egg poacher and similar versions in thrift stores for as low as .25.

The lid will perfectly fit a Snowpeak Mini-Solo pot and weighs @ .15 oz. less than the titanium SP lid. It actually fits better, IMO.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Now I'm wondering if the poached egg holder part would work in the SP Mini-Solo?

Does the distance from top of water to bottom of egg make a lot of difference? Anybody know? I may have to try it...
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Yes, I have. There are already at least two threads on this topic here on WhiteBlaze. A search will probably find them quickly for you, if you're after information on taking fresh eggs.

Nice photos.

RainMan

Thanks Rain Man, I searched for awhile but no one described how they prepared them other than hardboiled. I wanted to show the poacher and see if anyone else would have used it. Next week I'll have some photos showing how I modified a poacher to a one cup coffee percolator. Kinda merge the two together to show how one utensil could be used multi pupose.

Does the distance from top of water to bottom of egg make a lot of difference? Anybody know? I may have to try it...
    Skids, It does'nt make any difference, just get it to steamin.
    Last edited by zelph; 02-15-2007 at 19:08.

Smile

I taken eggs out on the trail with out any problems other then some very scarely looks from other thru-hikers.

Before leaving town crack them open open into a wide mouth 1 litter soda bottle. At camp cook them up just as you would at home. They will last several days.

Wolf

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I've hard-boiled a half dozen eggs during an overnight (re-supply) visit in a town and carried them out on the trail ...with some small salt packets, of course.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I ate fresh eggs the whole way to Fontana but then my chickens got off the leash.

Images

Jim AdamsI ate fresh eggs the whole way to Fontana but then my chickens got off the leash.
    When one of mine laid a gold shelled egg is when I got interested in cloning

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I ate fresh eggs the whole way to Fontana but then my chickens got off the leash.
    Probably a good thing as you couldn't take the chickens thru the GSMNP.

I have the ti skillet from the Snow Peak solo set. It will hold three eggs. I've been known to poach three eggs using that inside my ancient Coleman aluminum pot (from back when Coleman actually made backpacking gear). I put about 1/2 of water and three pencil-size sticks in the bottom of the pot. Clamp on the lid and heat for 5 minutes - let set for five more in cozy.

BTW, I 'bake' using the same system. The bread steams done so it isn't browned, but it tastes wonderful. Now y'all have done it - I'm wondering if biscuits ad eggs are doable in the same pot.

Images

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post

BTW, I 'bake' using the same system. The bread steams done so it isn't browned, but it tastes wonderful. Now y'all have done it - I'm wondering if biscuits ad eggs are doable in the same pot.

Tell us more!!!!

I "steam bake" in a cooking bag with my bakepacker in a 2 qt billy pot. VERY lightweight all thats needed. Breads, muffins, biscuits, pizza, cornbread, warms leftovers, you name it.Thats a neat lil egg poacher pan that I am sure would fit the top of my billy pot too, may look into that. I have a lil plastic egg carrier that carries 6 eggs, have taken them out for the first 3 or 4 days raw with no problems even in warm weather. Do get some looks but you`re cooking them so how can it be bad eh ? lol It is great for a change of b fast on a long hike but not sure if I would carry the extra weight for an entire thru.

RAT

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Zelph, I've only done this with 'quick' breads like biscuits, muffins and cornbread. Jiffy mix works well and can be found in most grocery stores during resupplies. Biscuits need to be about 2" to cook correctly. Cornbread takes 20 minutes (10 on the heat and 10 in the cozy), but is so worth it when you are having rehydrated chili. Muffin mix is made like a small cake and the same times as cornbread. Be sure to oil the pan before baking.

Now about cooking eggs and bread in the same pot (different pans inside the pot)... I'm thinking the eggs would need to be on top and something would need to keep them about 1-2" above the bread pan.

Yummmm....throw in some cheese grits and bacon....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Zelph, I've only done this with 'quick' breads like biscuits, muffins and cornbread. Jiffy mix works well and can be found in most grocery stores during resupplies. Biscuits need to be about 2" to cook correctly. Cornbread takes 20 minutes (10 on the heat and 10 in the cozy), but is so worth it when you are having rehydrated chili. Muffin mix is made like a small cake and the same times as cornbread. Be sure to oil the pan before baking.

Now about cooking eggs and bread in the same pot (different pans inside the pot)... I'm thinking the eggs would need to be on top and something would need to keep them about 1-2" above the bread pan.
    Whooo Hoooo, I'm goin to do some poacher bakin tomorrow.

Thank You (eggs and biscuits and bacon, ohh boy!!!)
    Last edited by zelph; 02-15-2007 at 23:02. Reason: add text

Images

Zelph- I love all your stove work! Thanks for showing us awsome designs, and doing a great job with testing.

One way to make omlets on the trail is in ziplock bags. Crack one or two eggs in a ziplock bag at home or in town. Add a little bit of lemon juice (this seems to keep them from turning green), salt and pepper, and whatever else you like with your omlets. (I like bacon bits, cheese, green pepper, onion and tobasco). A little milk or water will make the eggs fluffier. Ensure that all of the air is out of the ziplock before sealing it.

This step is important. Make sure there is no air in the bag with the eggs. They will keep in mild weather over the weekend if there is no air pressent. Double bag the eggs to make sure they do not leak.

In camp, boil water and toss the ziplock with the eggs into the water. Boil the ziplock for 5 to 10 minutes depending on how done you like your eggs. You usually have to push the ziplock down with your spoon. Take the ziplock out and enjoy!

Images

zelph,
    Instead of kethup on those scrambled eggs, how about some Louisianna Hot Sause. Yum! Yum!

Images

No NO JesseBrent. none of that going on myyyyyyyy eggs. Whewwww!!!!

Bakerman, thanks for the thought on stoves and thanks for the omlet method.

Today was test the poacher baker day.

I used the Queen of the Baking World, "Betty Crocker" Bisquick, original all-purpose baking mix. I used the recipe for "dumplings" 2 cups mix and 2/3 cups water. I changed it from milk to water hmmm why is it I'm always modifying somthing.

I'm pleased with the initial results. I've included some photos

I first tried a small aluminum jello mold(Ithink thats what it is) it fit so nice inside the pot. I used too much batter, raised up too high and pushed the lid up, took the lid off and covered it with another pot of the same size to retain heat. It was ready fast. Did not do any timing this time around, too busy baking. Because of the hole in the center, heat was able to bake from inside as well as the outside. I used olive oil to coat the inside of the mold to prevent sticking, worked ok, not bad. This first attempt exceeded my expectations by alot.

Next I used the egg poacher insert(forgot to use olive oil on the inside ). I did'nt time the test, was to busy bakin . This method took alot longer to achieve a complete bake through. I used the toothpick stick-it test to determin when it was done. My mouth was watering while waiting for it to get done, thinking of the honey and cinnomon powder that I would soon be consuming. I had already consumed the buscuit-donut without any topping so I knew I had to think of something to perk up the flavor. The finished product did'nt stick as bad as I thought it would to the insert. Made for easy clean-up.

Here are the photos:

First one shows donut hot in the pot.

Second shows donut cooling a bit

Third shows biscuit hot in pot with topping applied

Fourth shows cooling with anticipation

Fifth shows texture just about ready to disappear

Sixth shows texture gone

Monday I'll post photos of the poacher modified into a 1 cup percolator.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Images

Default modified to a 1 cup percolator

Here are the photos of the modification.

First one shows water perking up at a water temperature of 180 degrees

Second one a drip shootin up just above perk pipe

Third shows shortend perk pipe and coffee

Fourth shows lid with glass perk top and results of test,It Worked

A combination kitchen utensil

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++