WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Fancyfeast Stove

Just another cat food can stove. Will name it at a later date.

Weighs 24 grams, 2-1/2 inches in diameter, 2-1/4 inches tall

Fuel capacity is 3 ounces

Boils 2 cups of water in 6 min using 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol

Boils 12 cups of water in 29 min Rolling Boil, steam pumpin the lid up, using 3 ounces of denatured. Continued to boil an additionl 5 min.

I used a 12 cup aluminum pot as shown in photo. Because the stove boiled for an additional 5 min, I think it will boil 16 cups(1 gallon) using 3 ounces of fuel. That's efficient.

The stove burns at a steady rate, no indication of fuel heating up and burning at a faster rate.

Stove accomodates the Heinekin pots nicely and works great with the bigger 12 cup capacity pots.

Will do further testing this weekend.

Images

Looks like a layer of fiberglass along the inside rim. What are you using for the pot stand? Do you just pour the 1/2 oz of alcohol in the bottom and light, or do you have to wet the fiber glass. New to homemade stoves. This on looks pretty simple.

Dam now i got to make one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    Looks like a layer of fiberglass along the inside rim. What are you using for the pot stand? Do you just pour the 1/2 oz of alcohol in the bottom and light, or do you have to wet the fiber glass. New to homemade stoves. This on looks pretty simple.
    Yes, just pour the alcohol in, put the pot on and light.

Pot stand is stainless steel wire cloth.

What makes you think there is fiberglass in there? You're new to stoves.

oops56 Dam now i got to make one.
    I read about the storm you had in Proctor and about your power outage. Did you save some fire wood from those trees that got knocked down? Good thing you had that olive oil stove/lamp that you created. I want to see that stove in action. This fancyfeast stove has to have that stainless steel mesh tight against the wall of the can. I'm going to use that humungous Heinekin keg to boil 1 gallon of water like i did with the Ring Of Fire.

Pretty cool idea, Zelph.

I have the rest of the day off, and might actually experiment with this concept.

Plus, we have Southbounders at the house, so I'll know what to do with the FancyFeast.

Slick. That's that same lantern globe replacement screen isn't it. Holds the wick against the sides and the pot up all in one shot. Also conducts some heat down to wick while not conducting too much 'cold' from the pot. Slick.

I always wonder when I see a stove how it might work with more problematic fuels like vegetable oil or isopropyl alcohol. I am mostly interested in vegetable oil though, because it is high BTU, safe, and multi-purpose. Slow and can smoke like the dickens though. 99% Ethanol is a favourite also because its safe and multi-purpose. Of course it burns great. I really need to build myself a wee still. I think if I ever get it all together I would like a system that works with wood, ethanol, vegetable oil, and beeswax so I could
    carry some of all three multi-purpose fuels with wood for backup, and use the stove for boiling lots of water, drying clothes, simmering and cooking, and also reading while having tea at night. Perhaps two stoves, or a stove and a lantern/lamp/stove with some interchangeable components.

Anyhow, this stove gives me some more ideas on the lantern/lamp/stove side.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Pretty cool idea, Zelph.

I have the rest of the day off, and might actually experiment with this concept.

Plus, we have Southbounders at the house, so I'll know what to do with the FancyFeast.
    Hee-Hee Tell them it's liver pate, very expensive french import.

JAK Slick. That's that same lantern globe replacement screen isn't it. Holds the wick against the sides and the pot up all in one shot. Also conducts some heat down to wick while not conducting too much 'cold' from the pot. Slick.

I always wonder when I see a stove how it might work with more problematic fuels like vegetable oil or isopropyl alcohol. I am mostly interested in vegetable oil though, because it is high BTU, safe, and multi-purpose. Slow and can smoke like the dickens though. 99% Ethanol is a favourite also because its safe and multi-purpose. Of course it burns great. I really need to build myself a wee still. I think if I ever get it all together I would like a system that works with wood, ethanol, vegetable oil, and beeswax so I could
    carry some of all three multi-purpose fuels with wood for backup, and use the stove for boiling lots of water, drying clothes, simmering and cooking, and also reading while having tea at night. Perhaps two stoves, or a stove and a lantern/lamp/stove with some interchangeable components.

Anyhow, this stove gives me some more ideas on the lantern/lamp/stove side.
    Vegetable oil ones are hard to light. Oops 56 has got one in the works, I'm sure it will be a winner.

Make a stove with some cotton wick material that used for oil lamps(flat, 1" wide stuff.) Only a very small amount of wick should stick up above the containers lip. Use low odor mineral spirits. Use low odor mineral spirits. Use low odor mineral spirits. It burns bright and virtually smokeless if wick is only exposed a teeny tiney bit. I'll post a photo later of a small wick burner that I used mineral spirits(kerosene) It gave off enough light that I could walk safely across my 40 foot garage at night. Easily enough to read by.

Images

I tried boiling 16 cups in the Heineken Keg(steel)

I was not able to boil using the 3 ounces of fuel. My wife kicked me out of the kitchen on the first try in the middle of the test (photos are inside)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...fncyfst048.jpg the keg has one gallon of water in it, the stove has strength.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...fncyfst049.jpg the flame pattern you see here remains the same throughout the 3 ounces of fuel.

Second try was outside under very breezy conditions without the best of windscreen. Flame was tossed around alot. At the end of 34 min and flame out, the water temp was 190 degrees.

Third attempt was using a larger aluminum pot. 3 ounces of fuel boiled the water in 34 min(soft boil) barely made it. Flame went out 15 sec. later.

Max fuel capacity for the stove is 3 ounces/ 90ml

Stove needs no primer pan or wick and contains it's own potstand.

Weighs 24 grams and is very stable for it's size.

Images

nice and simple... I like it...

Images

Default update

I tried using aluminum screen door replacement fabric for the potstand. Did'nt work, heat deformed it. (two thicknesses)

I tried the stainless steel lantern replacement globe like the one I used in the woodburner thread. That worked very well. find it at Kmart in sportinggoods/camping dept. $5.00. You can make two stoves out of it.

I named it "Fancy Feast" stove.

Images

Am I the only one on Whiteblaze that doesn't own a cat? Isn't there a stove that can be made from a dog food can or am I going to have to get a cat?

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Pretty cool idea, Zelph.

Now that's funny! But I like Meow Mix.

By the way.....nice stove!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    By the way.....nice stove!
    Thanks!!!!!!!

By the way, Nice Hat!!!!!!!

Is this your brother? I like his hat better!!!!

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Am I the only one on Whiteblaze that doesn't own a cat? Isn't there a stove that can be made from a dog food can or am I going to have to get a cat?
    Dogs will always eat cat food, but not vice versa.

But if you really want a cat, just open a can of cat food and place it outside your door. You'll have at least one before the sun sets.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Default Thinking caps on

If you would please, help me remeber who it was that made a post to one of my threads and said he/she used aluminum screen mesh as a wick in a burner(tea candle tin?) It worked but burned hot and was going to reduce the amount of mesh. Who was it? What thread?

Failing Mind Wants To Know?

Images

Default globe replacement steel

Quick photos to show ss globe replacement support for the stove.

Follow-up photos tomorrow on new web site

Check out the flame pattern under a heinekin pot. I walked from the kitchen to the bathroom with the heinekin pot on top of the burning stove for it's photo session, totally stable, clings to the pot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    If you would please, help me remeber who it was that made a post to one of my threads and said he/she used aluminum screen mesh as a wick in a burner(tea candle tin?) It worked but burned hot and was going to reduce the amount of mesh. Who was it? What thread?

Failing Mind Wants To Know?
    Sure it wasn't this thread by LostInSpace?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Skidsteer, I was using sheet aluminum, not screen. I'm inclined to think zelph's approach with ss is much better.

Lost
    "Space and time are not conditions in which we live; they are simply modes in which we think," Albert Einstein

Nice stove Zelph I think I may have to replace the old pepsi can now with your new Fancy Heinie Heater!
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++