WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Fuel Source List

Do you know if there is a list on the web of which supply locations carry canisters for backpacking stoves?

I can find where to get Coleman Fuel by the oz but I considering using a canister stove. Unless somebody knows of pretty good list I will get on the phone and pull togther what I can. Using Jack's list in "articles" as well as Wingfoot's book and the internet, I have located quite a few possible sources.

Once I get it started I will post a link.

I plan to check outfitters, hardware stores, and others with "sporting goods" or "hunting" yellow pages listings near trailheads. For example, there is a Cabela's in Hamburg, not far from Port Clinton.

I will ask about:
    - Canister Gas: MSR, Primus, Snow Peak, PowerMax, etc
    - Coleman Fuel
    - Kerosene
    - Ethanol, Gas Line Antifreeze
    - Esbit Tablets, Trioxane Bars

Any suggestions? Comments?

Images

[QUOTE=JimSproul
    I will ask about:
    - Canister Gas: MSR, Primus, Snow Peak, PowerMax, etc
    - Coleman Fuel
    - Kerosene
    - Ethanol, Gas Line Antifreeze
    - Esbit Tablets, Trioxane Bars

Any suggestions? Comments?[/QUOTE]

Denatured alcohol?

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

If you want to know about Kerosene, just ask me.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    If you want to know about Kerosene, just ask me.
    so Kerosene,,,how much are you by the OZ????

"I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

On the subject of fuel availability, what's the postal service's policy on mailing fuel canisters for pocket rocket and similar stoves. It seems as though I can order canisters from REI and they will send them all the way across the country, or maybe its because they use UPS. Maybe UPS is the way the send resupply boxes. Anyone really know what UPS and USPS have for requirements?

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    On the subject of fuel availability, what's the postal service's policy on mailing fuel canisters for pocket rocket and similar stoves. It seems as though I can order canisters from REI and they will send them all the way across the country, or maybe its because they use UPS. Maybe UPS is the way the send resupply boxes. Anyone really know what UPS and USPS have for requirements?

Doc
    Ship canisters UPS Ground.

I just came from the local UPS office. When I showed them the canister of fuel that I wanted to ship UPS Ground they gave me a fishy look and shuddered. Never could they allow such things to be sent. Claimed fines of $50,000 if their trucks were searched and my fuel found. There does seem to be some way to send Hazmat stuff, but they were not aware of how. Maybe I'll eat cold food on my next jaunt through Virginia.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    I just came from the local UPS office. When I showed them the canister of fuel that I wanted to ship UPS Ground they gave me a fishy look and shuddered. Never could they allow such things to be sent. Claimed fines of $50,000 if their trucks were searched and my fuel found. There does seem to be some way to send Hazmat stuff, but they were not aware of how. Maybe I'll eat cold food on my next jaunt through Virginia.

Doc
    I forget where I found this info, but on the USPS website, publication 52 deals with how and what hazardous materials can be shipped. For butane look in the appendix A under

Receptacles, small, containing gas (gas cartridges) flammable, without release device, not refillable and not exceeding 1 L capacity
    It would seem if you properly document it, ship it ground, without the stove attached it would be possible to do. I am not a attorney or PO employee, I just found the info from a source I cannot remember and wanted to pass it along. I would think if you printed this publication and brought it with you it would be easy to ship. I have also heard from other individuals that you can ship it by ground USPS also. They also told me that finding cartridges along the way would be easy. Anyone know if that is true?

How does shipping UPS work if you are having your mail drops held at a Post Office? Is this possible or do you have to ship to a business?

Link to download USPS Publication 52 pdf file

Images

Default Shipping Canisters

The fact that you can't ship via USPS is why I have planned doing this survey for sources along the trail.

If you check out any on-line outlet, such as REI.com you will find the rules on what can be shipped. In addition, UPS now has a $20 fee for shipping gas etc. It apply to each shipment, no matter what size.

No, you can not ship UPS to a Post Office. There are however many mail drops in Jack's artcle on this site or in the thru-hiker's handbook on places where you can ship by UPS.

I will keep you updated on sources as I make more calls.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Shipping Propane/Butane Cannisters

I carried an alcohol stove myself on this year's thru but my wife used a pocket rocket with fuel cannisters on her thru in 2001. I shipped her all her fuel cannisters. I checked with the US Post Office and found that in order to ship the cannisters legally the box had to me marked as follows: "ORM-D"
    That classification clarifies the contents to the USPS and they handle the package accordingly. I believe that they generally attempt to ship packages marked "ORM-D" via ground however I always used "Priority Mail" service and the boxes generally arrived at the destination post office within 3 - 4 days.

You can either write the ORM-D on the box with a marker pen or obtain the actual stickers from the post office.

Hope that helps.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Through allotment of your opinions, you could dig up that awareness which you can’t catch from any other resources. I like this way of sharing knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by heidy_james View Post
    Through allotment of your opinions, you could dig up that awareness which you can’t catch from any other resources. I like this way of sharing knowledge.
    It's called "Wiki."

Images

I was at Walmart in Gorham, N.H. today, They have: Coleman fuel in gallon cans and 32 oz. Plastic Bottles
    and Kerosene in 32 oz. Plastic Bottles.
    Also noticed canisters but did not check them since I don't use them.
    They have a good camping supply area with a good variety.
    The Outdoor Sports on Main Street has Denatured Alchohol in quarts.
    Forgot to check Walmart for that since I already bought it at the Outdoor Sports Store.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I like esbit myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Denatured alcohol?
    He lists ethanol, I would assume that would be denatured if bought for stove use.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Storyteller
    Images

If you are starting that list, The Doyle sells denatured and canister. They started selling denatured because the hardware store in town would not sell it by the ounce and hikers were constantly leaving behind partial cans. They decided it was a service their clientele needed. Canister fuel was added when they got tired of having to shuttle, or find a shuttle, for people to Harrisburg for canisters and also because they get a lot of section hikers who fly into Harrisburg to start their hike and can't carry it on the plane.

Please note that this thread is nearly 7 years old.
    Roland

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm using esbit w/caldera cone as I make my way to Maine and love it.

I put tabs in each of my 4 mail drops and I've enjoyed not having to keep up with canisters - how much is left, where to get another one, carrying empties, etc.

The thing I like about esbit, even over alcohol, is that when you use it - it's gone. All ya need is a baggie to carry it in.

++ New Posts ++