WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Vandals in GSMNP

I hiked up to Mt. Leconte via the Alum Cave Bluffs trail this Saturday. How terrible it was to enter the parking lot and see a park ranger writing reports on 15 vandalized & theft vehicles. He said overnight there had been at least 50 cars broken into and vandalized from Cherokee to Sugarlands visitors center. With all the money donated to that park by hikers & tourists my question is why can't they install some sort of surveillance device to help curb this from happening people go up there to get away from this type of crap.

Pretty sad you return from your overnight and find your car has been destroyed by losers with nothing better to do and then people get upset when vigilante justice occurs. I think next time I do an overnight I'll just leave my windows down and my wallet on the seat with a note saying please take me. Maybe they will think it's a trap & just move on.
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The park is strapped for cash - they have cut several Ranger positions and delayed a number of projects (like Parsons Branch Road repair, mill repair in Cades Cove, and parking lot repairs) in recent years because of cash shortfalls. Fewer Rangers equals more vandalism.

I've often thought the GSMNP should consider establishing a few legal camping spots near all of the overnight parking areas. Having people nearby would deter a lot of the vandalism.

Journal Entries
    Images

I thought I read that Parsons Branch was reopened?

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post

I've often thought the GSMNP should consider establishing a few legal camping spots near all of the overnight parking areas. Having people nearby would deter a lot of the vandalism.

That's an excellent idea.

Images

Parson Branch is re-opened. It only took a couple of years for that one. There is a detour on the Foothills parkway for a landslide that happened about 3 years ago they haven't even touched. I went to the HRC at the Sugarlands for an advertised job but they couldn't hire for the job because of cutbacks. From what I have seen they are strapped for cash.

Sorry to hear about the break-ins and vandalism. I think even with a high speed surveillance system you would still get that sort of thing from time to time. The only difference is you would prosecute faster.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Wolf View Post
    I hiked up to Mt. Leconte via the Alum Cave Bluffs trail this Saturday. How terrible it was to enter the parking lot and see a park ranger writing reports on 15 vandalized & theft vehicles. He said overnight there had been at least 50 cars broken into and vandalized from Cherokee to Sugarlands visitors center. With all the money donated to that park by hikers & tourists my question is why can't they install some sort of surveillance device to help curb this from happening people go up there to get away from this type of crap.

Pretty sad you return from your overnight and find your car has been destroyed by losers with nothing better to do and then people get upset when vigilante justice occurs. I think next time I do an overnight I'll just leave my windows down and my wallet on the seat with a note saying please take me. Maybe they will think it's a trap & just move on.
    Its like US 19E. Even with surveillance by the Forest Service and sheriff's dept we still have people dumping trash and vandalizing cars. It will be several thousands of dollars to put up cameras at parking areas.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Stir Fry

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Wolf View Post

The main problem on the NC side is even if caught the Court system will do little with them. Most of the time a felony is reduced to a misdemeanor for a guilty plea. As a police officer I have seen times when someone charged with 20 counts of B&E of a motor vehicle gets nothing more then the time they were waiting for court.” TIME SERVED”. Only to be caught doing the same thing within a week. As long as the profits out weigh the risk they are going to keep breaking into cars. Its seen as a low priority property crime most places.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

As I was told the problem and great part for the Smokies is that when it was created it was put into the charter that the part would never charge to enter and use the park. Bad for raising funds, nice for people to come and visit.

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow, hate to hear about this kind of thing. It is always my fear when I leave my truck at a trail head.

And I hate to hear about the NC justice system. One time years ago (teenager, 19 to be exact), I was caught running 110 in a 55 coming off of Cullowhee (sp?) coming into Franklin, NC. They did not cut me any "deals" I can assure you. Perhaps things have changed in 14 years?

Journal Entries

These kind of things are not new. Sixty years ago as a teenager I lived by myself in Chicago, working at minimum wage jobs. Suddenly night after night someone would break into my ancient $150 car.

After a few weeks I just started leaving the doors unlocked -- a practice I've followed ever since.

Then 45 years ago, back in Maine, someone discovered that I always kept a cold beer in a portable cooler in my car for the after work 50 mile trip home at 1 a.m. After a month or so of no nightly beer, I started adding a half bottle of tobasco to a beer, replacing the cap, and leaving it in a prominent place in my car.

One night the doctored bottle was stolen, and the thefts stopped. But to be safe, I continued the practice. Until one night after an arduous night at work, I climbed into my car, grabbed a handy beer and took a long belt -- before discovering I had just had a double shot of tobasco with a very weak beer mixer.

Weary

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Then 45 years ago, back in Maine, someone discovered that I always kept a cold beer in a portable cooler in my car for the after work 50 mile trip home at 1 a.m. After a month or so of no nightly beer, I started adding a half bottle of tobasco to a beer, replacing the cap, and leaving it in a prominent place in my car.

One night the doctored bottle was stolen, and the thefts stopped. But to be safe, I continued the practice. Until one night after an arduous night at work, I climbed into my car, grabbed a handy beer and took a long belt -- before discovering I had just had a double shot of tobasco with a very weak beer mixer.

Weary
    If there was no chance of forgetting doctoring up the beer, you should have switched our the beer for pee. That would really taught the theif a leason.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Journal Entries
    Images

I will be happy to answer the question, a basic camera system will need a computer, and several cameras that provide a high quality picture with day night illumination. A ups device and something to power it 24/7 a minimum of $4000 installed. - This is what I do for a living.

Thank's Weary for a good laugh....!

Last but not least - anyone want to talk about a bait car?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I do sometimes wonder if a person might be better off to leave their vehicle unlocked at the trailhead. I once accidently left mine locked, but with a window rolled completely down at a park and ride for a weekend. When I came back I thought someone had broken out my window and broke into my car, but had a good laugh when I discovered I had just forgotten to roll the window up.

I guess they thought if I left the window down there wasn't anything worth stealing in there anyway.

Images

Knock on wood but I've never had a problem with theft of vandalism in the park. Out of xx number of vehicles parked in GSMNP x of them are broken into or vandalized..a small percentage but that does little to help the victims. In recent months there has been an increase of reports like this.
    These aren't random acts but seem to be planned events..perhaps on random nights. If they continue eventually he/she or they will get caught and hopefully they are cuaght by someone who will be more firm in dealing with them than the police or legal system will be.

Leaving a car/truck at a trailhead is one of the few worries I take out with me nowadays on long trips. It's always a consideration. For several years I solved this problem by having my girlfriend drop me off and 12-15 days later come pick me up at a designated spot. This system has no real drawbacks except for the time out of her schedule. I also leave a small cache near the trailhead with an extra thermarest, spoon, fuel, stove and stove pump in case I have a gear blowout.

Another option that works as well is to have a designated junk car just for this purpose, something like a 20 year old Toyota or Ford, etc. So even if it is trashed, what's the loss? I had a 1984 Nissan pickup I would leave for weeks by the Citico/Slickrock wilderness and after about 50 backpacking trips I only had one small breakin, someone pried open the back window to use the tire jack and replaced everything when they finished.

Nowadays when I come out after a long trip I am half-way prepared to walk and hitchhike to town if my car's ruined or missing. Cell phones don't work most of the time but a passing motorist will usually assist.

Tipi. I consistently find your posts to be level headed and to the point, and also engaging and informative. Also any number of other positive attributes. I am thinking of you as a sort of anti-MS. I guess I'm a fan.

Images

Tipi-Walter is good people too. He posts just like he is.

Unfortunately I find as I have been doing this, many people act differently on-line than they do in person.

If you ever get the chance to hike around Walter it would be a good experience. He knows that area around Tellico like no one else.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Leaving a car/truck at a trailhead is one of the few worries I take out with me nowadays on long trips.

Another option that works as well is to have a designated junk car just for this purpose, something like a 20 year old Toyota or Ford, etc. So even if it is trashed, what's the loss? I had a 1984 Nissan pickup I would leave for weeks by the Citico/Slickrock wilderness and after about 50 backpacking trips I only had one small breakin, someone pried open the back window to use the tire jack and replaced everything when they finished.
    People feel sorry for me when they see my old gray Blazer and they fix things up or leave money on the seat.

Seriously, that's what I like about an older vehicle that looks like crap. People have less inclination to mess with it. There are still mean people out there who would just break a window or worse just for spite.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post

Unfortunately I find as I have been doing this, many people act differently on-line than they do in person.

If you ever get the chance to hike around Walter it would be a good experience. He knows that area around Tellico like no one else.
    Agreed, very good people.

A true outdoorsman.

Great dog too, if you feel that dogs don't belong on the trails (and some don't), Chunka will change your view.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post

Not likely for me, but I'll keep that in mind for sure. I've enjoyed his trip reports. Maybe some winter... My Achilles tendon is feeling better for a change, but still not ready for the trail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++