WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Home Project UL Water Bucket

Something I have always found handy on backpack trips is some sort of large volume water container for use around the campsite. Such a container allows for fewer trips to the water source for the evening and morning needs. The attached document gives the easy instructions along with illustrations to make a 6-Liter water bucket that weighs right at an ounce. Nothing super special, but I thought I would pass along. doodah-man

Images

Default it works

Quote Originally Posted by doodah man View Post
    Something I have always found handy on backpack trips is some sort of large volume water container for use around the campsite. Such a container allows for fewer trips to the water source for the evening and morning needs. The attached document gives the easy instructions along with illustrations to make a 6-Liter water bucket that weighs right at an ounce. Nothing super special, but I thought I would pass along. doodah-man
    i have used these sacks in the field also. i keep stuff in those bags because they have many other uses.

to your bag you can add a valve at the bottom. cut off the top of a JOY bottle (clear inside, cap out, then cut nylon) and it can be used for a gravity bag.

the filter is a Sawyer 120
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i have used these sacks in the field also. i keep stuff in those bags because they have many other uses.

to your bag you can add a valve at the bottom. cut off the top of a JOY bottle (clear inside, cap out, then cut nylon) and it can be used for a gravity bag.

the filter is a Sawyer 120
    Very clever there KK. How fast will it filter water? Also, what is the banana peel for?
    Papa John

Images

Quote Originally Posted by papa john View Post
    Very clever there KK. How fast will it filter water? Also, what is the banana peel for?
    LOL, its a piece of foam towel, still on there from the one that leaked (its for my hammock rope, put on filter last trip)

1 liter 5-7 min
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

i made the bucket and on my scale it registers t .7 oz. great idea. now do i make it into a filter or continue to use chemicals... we'll wait and see.

Why trim the top? Why not just use the sack as is?

Images

I think so it will stay open when getting/scooping water.

Images

Nicely done Doodah Man and I'll pass it along. You do nice work

Hope all is well

Thanks for taking the time to share. I'm in the market for a collapsable water sack and this should do the trick. Thanks again.

Very sweet idea, thanks for sharing. I have a couple sets of these bas in my gear box and never dawned on me to me to use them like this. Save me a few bucks on buying something else.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Water Bag

I had this bag on hand and made one with a joy bottle top that I also had. My thought was water at camp and shower hang it above your head and there you go. The one I made I have home and field tested it works OK need a better top than Joy soap bottle. It is to hard to open and close with just one hand another thing with this one is the bag it's self leaks water from the seams and bottom. Put water in it at night and buy morning most all was gone think it mite be a crappy bag. I could line it with a bag of some sort but why should you if bag should hold water.

Quote Originally Posted by lndwlkr View Post
    ... another thing with this one is the bag it's self leaks water from the seams and bottom. Put water in it at night and buy morning most all was gone think it mite be a crappy bag. I could line it with a bag of some sort but why should you if bag should hold water.
    You could try seam sealing it.

-FA

Images

or not bother, of course it's a crappy bag, they're 3 for 10$. How long does it really need to hold water? Fill your bottles and pot before bed, share or drink what's left.

Why not just use the sack as-is?
    It can be carried by the handle, as-is.
    It can still be a stuff-sack, as-is.
    And it saves the trouble of sewing!

Now, as for modifying into a gravity-filter...that's seems like a good idea!
    I walk the line.

Images

Default Joy bottle top alternate

I know this is an old post but after making this filter i too agree that there could be better options than the Joy top....i also wanted a shut-off valve so that I could fill it up at the stream and carry it back to camp with the valve shut, hook up the hose, open the valve, and let gravity take over. I ended up finding something just below the sawyer filters in my local walmart that was a great (and cheap) solution! It was a colapsable water container made by Ozark Trails seen in the link below. It just so happens the 7/16"O.D. tubing i got from Lowes fits snugly into the spout opening and the valve is incredibly easy to open/close with one hand. Just plug in the tubing and fip the valve! I have used it in my kitchen attached to a Sawyer filter with great results......I will try to get photos and flow rates in the next couple days.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/detai...72036854775808

i couldn't get that .pdf to open so maybe this isn't what you're lookin for, but...
    http://tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPa...arHammock.html
    it's about as multi-purpose as it can get. scroll down to see as a water bag/sink/basin

cwayman1

sorry, you have to click on the link at the top of the article that says "jeff's gear hammock/pack cover"

Images

As promised I've attached pictures of my setup below. I also tested it out in my kitched using 2.5 liters of water in the bag. The results were as follows:

Test 1 - I filled the bag, attached the hose, and turned the valve on....1 liter in 5:25 Frustrated, i shut off the valve and poured the liter of water back in the bag and tried it again....1 liter in 1:42. Better, maybe it needed to work out all the air in the line

Test 2 - I filled the bag, attached the hose, turned the valve on, and gave two good sucks on the outlet of the sawyer filter.....1 liter in 1:20.....2nd liter in 40 sec. and that is without refilling the bag so it has more head pressure.

Also, i really like the shut off valve, it gave me really easy control of the water flow and was really easy to attach/detach the hose.

I can't seem to get the attachment to work.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    I can't seem to get the attachment to work.
    Neither can I

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++