WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lightheart Tent

Default Lightheart Tent

I just got one of these
    http://lightheartgear.com/lighthearttent1.html

to try from the manufacturer. She liked my observations of her tent when I saw it at Trail Days. I asked her if she had a demo I could try and she said she had one of her first tents, that the new ones pitch a little tauter, and that the reinforcing patches for the pole handles (inside, on the floor) are now cordura (they are silnylon in "my" tent).
    I weighed it - 1lb.9-7/8 oz. It uses telescoping trekking poles for setup with a little spreader bar at the peak for better headroom (than the original Wanderlust tent, on which it is based). I plan on using it in the yard for a few nights and maybe (if it rains and I'm not needed this weekend at the bike shop) bringing it to the Long Trail Festival. We'll see about that one.
    I'm not really a tent person, but if this works for my wife and I, it might just get her out on the trail again (she hasn't hiked with me since I've gone lightweight - I still hike too fast and too far for her liking).
    I guess a couple of overnighters at low elevation wouldn't kill me .
    More to come.
    Last edited by Tinker; 08-03-2009 at 20:15. Reason: Corrected punctuation
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

I like the looks and weight of it. I am not so sure about the HH thing not any place to really put your pack or if had to can't cook in your lap. Let us know how it works and maybe sit in it and let the wife spray you with the water hose. Could you post some pics or a video of the set up. What would be really neet is if one would make one of these solo tents in all camo. People need to hide at times when camping and all the brite colors (white,yellow& gray) do not appeal to me that much.

Unfortunately my comprehension of transferring photos over the internet is limited to my use of my Webshots site, and my site doesn't recognize my computer's signature since I had a new program installed, courtesy of my son. I will try to get in touch with some of my hiking friends who are more literate than I am photo-wise. The picture of the tent on the website is what it looks like.
    Differences from what I saw at Trail Days.
    There is a new one piece spreader bar. The one I saw was made of three pieces of small diameter PVC pipe cemented together. The one which came with "my" tent is one piece which appears to have been heated and bent at the ends, eliminating the joint which I imagine would have rubbed into the silnylon canopy a bit.
    I have yet to set it up. I'm waiting for my landlord to take his dog out for his nighttime walk so he doesn't think it's a new bush in the yard that he has to "personalize".
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Looks like the old wanderlust lite tent.

Quote Originally Posted by cabana View Post
    Looks like the old wanderlust lite tent.
    Yep. A little more headroom courtesy of a short spreader bar.

Setup was insanely simple. I decided to try it without using the instructions.
    I stretched out the tent tautly and inserted a stake in each end.
    I set my poles to 125 cm.
    Took the ridge pole (what I had been calling the brow pole) and put it on one pole.
    I put the pole in the far side corner of the tent on the reinforced patch.
    I took the other pole and put it in the brow pole.
    Passing the handle of the pole through the door I then placed it in the near corner.
    Noticing that the tent needed more tensioning, I extended the poles to 130 cm each.
    Tent was taut.
    I got outside and tied one of the included 2mm lines to the fly guying loop on the side opposite the door and staked the fly out taut.
    Then I tied the other line on the door side, zipped the fly opening shut, then staked out the line.
    Tent was up. About 3 min. without instructions.
    Then I read the instructions. Exactly what I had done.
    Notes for improvement:
    1) The ridge pole is not attached to tent. Keep it zipped inside tent to prevent loss.
    2) The fly zipper is a bit grabby, but not unlike any zipper on silnylon. A stiffener would only add to tent weight and not help that much.
    3) A reflective cord on the zipper would be handy.
    4) Tieouts half way down each side would be extremely helpful in wind and to guy tent fly out and up for more ventilation.
    5) A velcro strip opposite the loop on the zippered fly entrance would help to keep the zipper closed in wind (when passed through the guy loop).
    Now to try a night out.
    Temp. 71, Humidity 77%, Clear, Wind-calm.
    I will be sleeping on my Big Agnes Air core Mummy pad with a fleece blanket on top of it. I will be wearing a polyester short sleeve short and nylon hiking shorts. I sleep HOT!
    See you in the morning .

First night out impressions:
    The tent is roomy enough for someone my size (5'11", more or less, and 220 lbs.)
    Most of the room is in the center, favoring side sleepers.
    The ample mesh makes the most of the slightest breezes on a warm night.
    The floor is slippery (silnylon - needs McNett or similar silicone adhesive on floor to prevent sleeping pad creep as all tents with silnylon floors do).
    The little velcro pads which hold open the door are easy to use (I slept with the door open and the fly guyed out).
    Tent could use a small zippered opening to the "back" vestibule for easy gear access.
    Conditions this morning were overcast, 67 degrees with heavy dew and some fog.
    The tent did not have undue condensation (note that it was set up on the lawn and that grass transpires (releases) moisture into the air which then gets trapped underneath the tent fly along with moisture from the body and breath of the occupant (s).
    Oh, yes - This is a one person tent (with a bunch of storage space for gear).

I will retest the tent soon in the rain.

Guess what?
    I bought it.
    Will seam seal it tomorrow and put some SilNet sealant on floor for grip.
    I'm taking on a NY section hike in two weeks and will have more to report then.
    I tried it two nights ago on lawn with 3/8 pad (my pack's "frame").
    No way. Old bones won't hear it.
    Big Agnes will be with me on this upcoming trip .
    Last edited by Tinker; 09-06-2009 at 22:57. Reason: added last phrase

I sealed the seams with Silnet and spread a bit on the floor to hold my Big Agnes pad. Slept overnight in a steady rain - no leaks and virtually no condensation. The slightest breeze blows through the mesh, and there's plenty of room to sit up, stretch, and change clothes. Like many tents without vestibules (and some with), getting in and out in the rain can get the floor wet. It's easily wiped off with a bandanna which can then be wrung out the door. There was some wind (up to 25 mph, and the tent was sheltered), but the elongated pyramid shape seemed to shed it nicely.
    The BA pad is still one of the best purchases I have made for camping.

The tent you speak of has been on the AT with a friend of my who is thru hiking this year. The tent is still going strong after being used for almost 2000 miles and through every kind of weather the trail has to offer. It is a worthwhile purchase.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Unfortunately my comprehension of transferring photos over the internet is limited to my use of my Webshots site....
    Go here, and click "browse"

In the dialog that opens, find the picture on your computer, then click "Open"

Back at the webpage, click "Start Upload"

It will upload the picture, and take you to another screen with links to that picture on their server.

Put the link in here.

-----------------

Neat tent, it reminds me of the shape of the Eureka!spitfire, which I've been contemplating myself for my next build.

Update:
    I had a friend sew small tabs onto the inner tent where the silnylon meets the mesh, and corresponding tabs on the perimeter of the fly. I used very light Spectra cord to join the inner tabs to the ones on the fly and left about three feet to guy to the ground. There is significantly more head and foot room than before, thought there is a small weight penalty (not much if you use ti shepherd's hook stakes). I suggested to the tent's designer that she add the tabs and line (or at least the tabs) to future models. I haven't received a response yet, though. The modification makes the tent breezier (when you stake it out) and more wind worthy as well. I'll try to get some pics up when I'm not so busy.

Later: Tinker realizes that his new camera software is not compatible with his old PC.
    No way to publish pictures at this time, sorry.
    Last edited by Tinker; 10-03-2009 at 16:33. Reason: added note

If you have a USB slot, get a card reader and use that to transfer the images. Around $10
    Franco

Default considering Lightheart myself

Tinker: have been looking at this tent myself for solo. You still impressed?

Good Tinker. Looks good.

Images

I'd just like to see your pics

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I attached a picture of my friends that I borrowed for one night.

I really really love most everything about this tent.
    My only caveat is that when laying down my head feels to close to the tent body. That is one thing that I can't stand.

The spreader bar across the top is nice but it doesn's seem stable at times. I brushed against my pole and it twisted. No big deal I just moved it back in place.

I slept next to a stream in the Smokies and had no condensation issues, the fly was left open so I don't know if that anything to do with it.

My few observations. Only 1 night with the tent so can't really comment more about it.

Images

Honestly, I haven't tried her tent, just because I switched to a hammock. But Heartfire is a great lady who takes pride in her workmanship. She is someone you can trust.

Update: Actual usage on the AT (NY).
    I used the tent for three nights the third week in Sept. There was only one brief sprinkle on the last night when I camped by the West Mountain Shelter. The pullouts proved to be invaluable in the increase in usable head and foot room. I got a reply from the busy owner of the company and she thought that the extra tabs were a good idea. We'll see if she implements them. If not, they're very easy to sew on and they don't take a ton of stress, anyhow.
    All three nights proved to be warmer than expected and I slept half out of my 50 degree (approx) one pound Montbell ultralight semi-rectangular bag. I used my Big Agnes Air core mummy pad and slept almost as well as in my hammock.
    Since I can't use my camera software with my computer you'll have to use your imaginations as to the placement of the pullouts.
    With the addition of the pullout tabs and ultralight spectra guylines the tent now weighs 1# 11-1/2 oz. (in the stuffsack). Not too shabby.
    With the addition of a pair of velcro strips at the ridgeline to secure the plastic ridge pole (it doesn't move unless you move your trekking poles, really), it would be a fantastic deal for a long distance ground dweller.

Images

Default Lightheart Tent

I bought a Lightheart Tent in April at Ron Haven's April Fool's Bash. I used the Lightheart for the remainder of my thru hike. I guess that I have about 1900 miles on it. I spent about 7 months hiking so from Franklin....I guess it'd be safe to say that I used this tent for 6 months.
    I love it. It was a great purchase and it held up to daily use like a champ.
    Several people ended up buying and using these with the opinion being the same. This may well be the perfect tent for thru hiking...that's my opinion. 26 ounces, double wall, sets up in seconds and packs down small. I am 5'10 and had plenty of room for myself and all of my gear inside the tent....in fact, there's plenty of room to spare.
    I bought one of the original models and if the original has been improved, the newer design must be even better.
    I own and have used tarptents from both Shire's and Six Moon Designs. I have a Rainbow and a Lunar Duo. I used the Lightheart for the thru hike becuase it's the better tent for a thru hike....For the weight, size, ease of setup and overall function, the Lightheart takes the cake.
    My two cents.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++