WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Standing Stone Trail

Here's a thread about the 70+ mile long footpath in central PA, part of Great Eastern Trail, that has better views than the PA A.T. hands down.

For more info, see the official website, http://www.hike-sst.org/

On the official website, you will see a notice that the KTA work weekend scheduled for the first weekend in October has moved its site. The trail workers will not meet at Cowans Gap State Park, but rather at BSA Camp Sinoquipe which is near Fort Littleton.

So does this begin off of the AT and end at the AT? I couldn't really tell. And if it does does shorten or lengthen the trail. I'm planning my trip for next year but I want to take any kind of trails that have more to offer on my way from GA > MA

The SST and the AT do not intersect. However, if one wanted to hike this by lengthening one's hike one could connect from the AT to the GET using one of several paths in northern VA, MD, or PA and proceed along the GET's eastern route to the SST and across PA. Getting back to the AT would involve following the Finger Lakes Trail and three other connection possibilities between High Point NJ and North Adams MA. There would be some roadwalking involved and a significantly lower level of hiker support services. But you would be a pioneer in the sense of Earl Shaffer's first thru, not one of the sheeple.

SST is a rugged, rocky, ridgetop trail with tons of views. Great trail that will get better as its route is refined. Views are superb and the 1000 Steps is a must-do.

Pics:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5...tdoors&start=0

Bumping the thread as a reminder for the work weekend - as I write this it's next weekend, the first weekend in October. Should be able to make a significant improvement. A number of folks from the Harrisburg area are expected to go.

Last weekend's Standing Stone Trail work weekend successfully eliminated 1.1 miles on the busy US 522 and changed the location of crossing PA Turnpike/I-76. Old trail is already browned out. Overall distance shouldn't change significantly.

New Map 4 reflecting this change is posted to http://www.hike-sst.org/

Big problems in SGL 112 near the "Double Power Line" affecting south end of Map 1 and north end of Map 2. Loggers are finally active in a timber sale from a while back, a road was cut earlier that intersected the trail in several places and now the loggers are out and much slash is blocking the trail. Definitely not the best time to be out hiking from Frew Road (southernmost crossing) to PA 655 (northernmost crossing).

Official website has changed as the old site fell into the hands of domain pirates and had gone out of date. New web site - with new maps of the oft relocated and now extended route - http://www.standingstonetrail.org/

++ New Posts ++