WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Underfunded Thru-Hikers

I have read so many threads since joining Whiteblaze about people feeling that they have the ability to just launch and complete a thru-hike with little to no funds for a 5 to 6 month journey. This usually contradicts the advice and wisdom of others. I just had to ask if anybody else who has been on the AT has experienced negatively an individual doing this, running out of funds prematurely, and then either having to leave the trail or attempting to continue on without enough money for food, gear, lodging, etc...in a haphazard effort to complete their hike.

I have seen people leave the Trail every year because of an insufficiency of funds and it's always sad.

Or as an alternative, I've seen people fall weeks behind their Trailfriends because they needed to take time off and work for awhile.

And lastly, every year there are folks who attempt to finish the Trail on virtually no money......the eat horribly, they live out of hiker boxes on whatever other people are throwing away, and all too often, become mooches and borderline bums, which is NOT a way to make yourself popular.

For all these reasosn, it's really important for prospective thru-hikers to be realistic about their probable needs and expenses, and to exercise discipline and restraint with their spending once they're out there.

Abbreviating, aborting, or radically altering your trip because of money problems is no fun at all.

I have a feeling I am going to be an underfunded thru hiker next year. If I run out of money while Im on the trail I plan on selling my VW Bus to my father with the hopes he will sell it back to me when I have the money.

Images

I spent way more than I had planned. I know of several people who had to give up their dream because they ran out of money. I know of several people who had to watch every penny..that can be stressful during something that is already hard enough as it is.
    I remember talking to some hikers in Virginia who said that they had $600.00 left to finish the trail.
    The trail can be hiked on the cheap. If you are disciplined and goal driven..you can adapt and overcome. If hiking the trail is the goal...it can be done. If hiking the trail and enjoying all it has to offer is the goal, stay home another year and save money..
    There were many who had to hike fast to squeeze every penny and finish jn 3,4 or 5 months...Their experience may have been better than mine...who's to say.
    If I were to do it again... (I plan to) I'd have a good amount of money saved for the trail...and some set aside so that when I returned home I wouldn't have to jump right back into work.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Images

I have been curious about this also. On our section we saw one woman at Elmer's probably early 20's that could play the fiddle very well. After our section, we ran into her and and she was playing for change in Asheville. She was way too thin, no hiker legs, had no gear but a day pack and wore the same skimpy dress and long flowing scarf and we figured she had problems and was a trail follower in the sense that she hung around hikers but did not hike. What we all remembered, was that we liked talking to her, she was pretty despite the emaciation and she had mouth full of perfect teeth so there was some home or care somehwere in her past. She made us sad, since she was so musically talented, but also very lost. We wonder about the rest of the story. Is this a normal trail town deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I have seen people leave the Trail every year because of an insufficiency of funds and it's always sad.

Or as an alternative, I've seen people fall weeks behind their Trailfriends because they needed to take time off and work for awhile.

And lastly, every year there are folks who attempt to finish the Trail on virtually no money......the eat horribly, they live out of hiker boxes on whatever other people are throwing away, and all too often, become mooches and borderline bums, which is NOT a way to make yourself popular.

For all these reasosn, it's really important for prospective thru-hikers to be realistic about their probable needs and expenses, and to exercise discipline and restraint with their spending once they're out there.

Abbreviating, aborting, or radically altering your trip because of money problems is no fun at all.
    I have met a few of these so-called underfunded. They spent their funds partying in town, instead of supporting their hike. They had fun while losing sight of their goal. Discipline and restraint is easy - stay away from the town vortex.

Images

The typical...I'm not sure..but I'm not easily surprised by much anymore either. There were more than a few "homeless" types all along the trail.
    Some towns are friendlier than others and there are many people who take in hikers and have no limits to their generosity...it's sad to see that taken advantage of. Hiker boxes sometimes draw rats.

As for some partying early and running out of money...that's pretty common.
    There was a hiker that by Virginia had run out of money and was begging from his buddies...not a good thing...especially when he'd use what little money he was given to buy beer instead of dog food for his already abused dog.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    I have a feeling I am going to be an underfunded thru hiker next year. If I run out of money while Im on the trail I plan on selling my VW Bus to my father with the hopes he will sell it back to me when I have the money.
    If it's a twelve window model, sell it to me.
    AIR COOLED!

I soo dont want to sell it. It is my baby. I would only sell it to my father if he promised to sell it back once I get back on my feet after my hike. I might be living in it when I get back, who knows? Luckily its a Westy camper.

money does not equal character. while there are the mooches and, dare I say it, thieves, there are also those who, aside from being underfunded, can stretch what little they have and compensate providers in other ways than just trading all mighty dollar. In this country money is worshiped even by those who would steadfastly deny it. Unfortunately money is still a necessity in our society. I just feel some people have too great an attachment to it. It's funny to see some hikers complain and worry about their financial woes, and be downright miserable when they have enough financial resources to have vacation homes, expensive cars and hoards of other material things, while other hikers who have very little, are content and happy just enjoying each moment. Let them serve as proof of the adage "money can't buy happiness".

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I have been curious about this also. On our section we saw one woman at Elmer's probably early 20's that could play the fiddle very well. After our section, we ran into her and and she was playing for change in Asheville. She was way too thin, no hiker legs, had no gear but a day pack and wore the same skimpy dress and long flowing scarf and we figured she had problems and was a trail follower in the sense that she hung around hikers but did not hike. What we all remembered, was that we liked talking to her, she was pretty despite the emaciation and she had mouth full of perfect teeth so there was some home or care somehwere in her past. She made us sad, since she was so musically talented, but also very lost. We wonder about the rest of the story. Is this a normal trail town deal?
    I am not for sure but I think you are describing a young lady that now lives right up the road here and what you describe seems to be normal protocol for her. I first met her at TD's in '06....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    money does not equal character. while there are the mooches and, dare I say it, thieves, there are also those who, aside from being underfunded, can stretch what little they have and compensate providers in other ways than just trading all mighty dollar. In this country money is worshiped even by those who would steadfastly deny it. Unfortunately money is still a necessity in our society. I just feel some people have too great an attachment to it. It's funny to see some hikers complain and worry about their financial woes, and be downright miserable when they have enough financial resources to have vacation homes, expensive cars and hoards of other material things, while other hikers who have very little, are content and happy just enjoying each moment. Let them serve as proof of the adage "money can't buy happiness".
    Well said!

Images

I have never actually met a trail bum or a hiker still hiking past allowable funds, but have been a few days behind / ahead of one or two. So I don't really know the full story, but I can see how easy it is to fall into the trap of the town vortex, even without partying. "Just one more night" in a $40.00 motel a few times a month & the "Extra $300.00" you may have set aside for just in case is long gone in less than 8 stays, then your [insert name of expensive & important piece of gear here] is totally destroyed & you can't continue without it.

One of the quotes I carry when hiking, I think I found it here at WB, says: "If you hike like you only have $1,000.00 to spend (On your Thru Hike) then $2,000.00 will seem perfectly reasonable."
    And $2,000.00 could be substituted for the $1,000.00 & etc with the point being Plan / budget for less money than you have, and do your best to spend only that "$1,000.00" & no more. I understand wanting to party, But: have A beer, not a 6 pack! Beer from the Quickie Mart is usually cheaper than from a bar (& so is food & etc). Need a Zero? then take night one in a Hostel (Motel or hotel) if you must, but hike a mile out of town & take night 2 in the woods, this will serve two things: its free, & it reduces the temptation to stay in town "Just one more day / night".
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Journal Entries
    Images

I would help a fellow broke hiker out if they carry all my gear the whole trip. That is the lightest way to hike correct?
    I don't know

Images

Saving seems to be key in more than just a thru-hike. People tend to spend everything they have plus just a little more. Watch every single penny you make and you'd be surprised how much you actually have. I know doctors who are one paycheck from losing their houses and cars and unfortunetly their gold digging oppurtunistic money aggressive wives will probably go with it if it were to.

Images

That might have been a little bit much about the doctors but you know what I mean. No offense to any doctors around here.

Images

There is nothing wrong with Thru Hikers hiking with little to no funds as long as they don't EXPECT handouts along the way.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, some dude was soliciting for funds in the register at Maupin Field Shelter last week so he could continue hiking north (he said he had no food, money nothing). He was going to stay at Rustys for a few days - I guess hoping for something to happen, and wanted people to track him down there (?)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I don't see it as that big of a deal. I might be hitting the PCT "underfunded" next spring. I'll just walk until I run out of money, and be thankful for every step I got. You can always go back and finish up sections.

Images

I saw a bunch of "under-funded" people on the PCT this summer. The Pct has some wonderfull trail angels, and it bummed me out that some of these people would stay there and eat their food etc..., without offering a donation or help. They always seemed to have money for beer or weed, though. If your strapped your strapped, just don't take advantage.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++