WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marmot Jackets

Unhappy Marmot Jackets

I got two jackets from marmot the Precip and the driclime windshirt The precip i try out three time in the rain it allready lost it DWR coating. I try on the driclime size large the body is to tight and the arms are way to long any jackets i own are size large they fit fine. i have call them four time so far they said to send the Precip and they would check it out and try to get it back to in 7 to 8 weeks the Driclime same thing. Got to talk to someone early in cust. care i could not belive she try to talk me in to buying some new jackets instead of replacing these. Never again will i ever buy Marmot stuff again.
    Have any of you guys had this kind of thing happing with these marmot jackets.

Did you order from a retail store? I'd deal with them 1st for returns. Also the Driclime is a windSHIRT, if you want to layer it over other clothes you need to size up.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I love Marmot products. I did send my precip back for coating loss on the hood (it was flaking off) and after a call to check on it, the guy shipped me a new jacket pronto. But you do need to send the product back so they can have time to evaluate it. They won't just take your word for it. They are a business after all,
    Will have a tougher sell on the driclime as its a fit issue. Better to return it from where you purchased it rather than wrestling with the manufacturer (unless you did get it directly from them, then you should be able to return for a refund or an exchange)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default Jackets

I got the windshirt for the base layer got the precip from campmor and the windjacket from the tradeing post They told me i would have to call marmot have these two jackets less then 40days

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Really? Campmor has a year return policy I believe and Sierra Trading Post (if that's what you mean) have unconditional satisfaction. I have had no problems with either on returns. Just use the return slips that came with the items and mail them back.
    Last edited by Blissful; 09-30-2010 at 12:41.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Marmot is a really good company. I've had to return several items over the years to them and have never been disappointed. Just follow their shipping instructions closely.

Images

Default Marmot Driclime

The Driclime has long sleeves so they can double as "mittens". I am not sure if that is really why they designed it this way but every single driclime from Small to Extra large(I give them as gifts to my family members at X-mas) has disproportionately long sleeves.
    At least that is the explaination "Sock's" gave me in 2009.. I bought it(the explaination and the windshirt!) and have always used the sleeves as gloves. It saves some weight and you can still use trekking poles.
    Needless to say I love the Marmot driclime for it's performance when wet and versatility. The zipper on mine is brass and shows no wear and has never missed a beat in 5600 miles and all the use it gets off-season.
    I sound like a Marmot salesman! Sheesh!
    As for the Precip jacket.. Ditto! I too have had problems with the DWR lasting only a few rainstorms. I followed all the instructions as to drying etc to restore it to no avail. I should send it back but I just ain't wired that way.
    Anyhow, try using the sleeves as "mittens" sometime. I often thought a small thumb loop on the inside of each cuff would be nice to help control the extra material when in "Mitten" mode AND while using trekking poles.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

I have trouble with the DWR on everything I own. I haven't bought a Precip jacket in four years, and the last one I had had a fairly durable DWR, but abrasion and dirt eventually did it in. I'm not sure how much of a difference it made anyhow, since the Precip is a coated fabric, not a membrane. They just imprint a pattern into the polyurethane inside the jacket to make it a bit thinner there in the hopes that it might "breathe" ("......." means "so called" the way I learned it in my English class). It never did, as far as I could tell, in any of the three Precip jackets I owned. The main reason for buying them is that they are durable and have good ventilation, which is far more important (in my opinion) than a so-called "breathable" fabric. Heck, UNcoated nylon doesn't breathe enough for me in warm weather.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Btw, breath is the noun.
    Breathe is the verb.
    Just in case anyone was wondering.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Precip jackets are trash. Marmot will replace them though if you keep wanting to deal with it and send them back.
    The windshirts are awesome though.

My wife owns a Precip and she has had no troubles out of it. She has only had it about a year at this point and only used it under a pack on 4 different occasions (totaling about 13 days total) but she also wears it around town. The DWR is still holding up fine on it. Of course, if it is warm, she gets a little warm in it, but that is to be expected with this jacket.

Another buddy of mine has used the Precip for a few years and he has not complained of any troubles with his, however, I haven't spoken with him in a while...

Anyway, sorry to hear it. Hope that it works out for you in the end. I would second sending it back to the retailer in which you purchased them from. Campmor is a great place to deal with. I have not had a lot to do with STP though, but hear great things of them too. As far as Marmot is concerned, I think that they have some pretty nice items. I wouldn't completely kick them out yet...

Have you tried contacting the retailers yet?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I love Marmot products. I did send my precip back for coating loss on the hood (it was flaking off) and after a call to check on it, the guy shipped me a new jacket pronto. But you do need to send the product back so they can have time to evaluate it. They won't just take your word for it. They are a business after all,
    Will have a tougher sell on the driclime as its a fit issue. Better to return it from where you purchased it rather than wrestling with the manufacturer (unless you did get it directly from them, then you should be able to return for a refund or an exchange)

don't waste time contacting anyone but marmot. i've had the exact same experience as blissful. dwr delamination. sent the jacket to them, they wrote a letter to me saying that the jacket had delaminated and they were sending a new one. boom, a few weeks later, new precip. quite a joy to work with
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

i've owned marmot gear for the past 20 years, they have great gear, and when needed, unparalleled customer service.

DWR Treatments

The outer surface of most waterproof-breathable fabrics are treated with a durable water-repellent coating (DWR). This chemical treatment forces water to bead up and roll off the surface of the fabric. DWR coatings do not work when pores become clogged with dirt, or salt from your body's sweat. Regular cleaning is important to maintain the performance of DWR treatment. All DWR treatments wear off over time and eventually need re-proofing. When a garment begins to “wet-out”, water hitting the fabric surface starts to give the impression of soaking into the face, rather than beading up and running off. It is time to restore the DWR coating. You can easily restore the DWR water beading qualities of applying a proofing agent to the fabric.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Bishopj, you might want to check out Marmot Mica or Marmot PacLite rain jackets. The Paclite is one of Gore-tex most breathable fully WP fabrics, but will definitely cost more than the Marmot PreCip. The Marmot Mica is a fully WP rainjacket using the Strata membrane, is comprably priced to the Precip, but is lighter wt and more compressible. I like the Mica with its stiffened visor that is held up off the face so that it doesn't impede your vision, the hand pockets, the adjustable velcro cuffs(to vent and keep water out), GOOD breathability(certainly better than the PreCip), and the light wt. Because the Mica weighs about 7 oz in my XL size, it's low wt., and breathes well, I use it as both my wind/rain jacket. No DWR to wash out. However, you give up a bit of durability with the Mica when compared to the PreCip, although I've had no durabilty issues.

I've never had to deal directly with Marmot, but with all my gear from them(Marmot Helium sleeping bag, Marmot Ion windshirt, Marmot Super Hero Soft shell, Marmot Mica rain jacket, etc) lI have never had a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet View Post
    Precip jackets are trash. Marmot will replace them though if you keep wanting to deal with it and send them back.
    The windshirts are awesome though.
    that's funny. i've had mine for 2 years and i love it. only hiking jacket plus used to work cows in the summer as a lightweight rain jacket. i've used it to sit on during lunch breaks or just taking in a view. dwr is still fine. one tough jacket!

Quote Originally Posted by bishopj View Post
    I got two jackets from marmot the Precip and the driclime windshirt The precip i try out three time in the rain it allready lost it DWR coating. I try on the driclime size large the body is to tight and the arms are way to long any jackets i own are size large they fit fine. i have call them four time so far they said to send the Precip and they would check it out and try to get it back to in 7 to 8 weeks the Driclime same thing. Got to talk to someone early in cust. care i could not belive she try to talk me in to buying some new jackets instead of replacing these. Never again will i ever buy Marmot stuff again.
    Have any of you guys had this kind of thing happing with these marmot jackets.
    I'm confused. Did you get this gear as gifts or did you go out and purchase the gear yourself? Obviously, if you bought it yourself you should have tried on the DriClime Windshirt BEFORE you bought. If that was the case then the fit of the DriClime was up to you, not Marmot. You should not have bought it if you didn't like the fit.

If you received the DriClime as a gift that's a different story. I think the DriClime is cut just as IceAxe described! If the DriClime just isn't your fit perhaps you can exchange it where it was bought, whether it was bought by you or by someone else. Many companies are eager for biz right now so they are aiming at a high level of customer service to distinguish their company from other companies. I think if you persist kindly Marmot will satisfy your requests. Be direct, but be kind. You get more bees with hioney than vinegar! It just may take some time. Perhaps, you could explain to them that you need replacement gear for an upcoming hike and you can't wait 7-8 wks. Or, ask for credit and apply it towards other gear from Marmot or the store where the gear was purchased. If the gear was purchased directly from Marmot then you should not have to wait 7-8 wks for replacement gear!

Personally, I have bought 100's of pieces of gear directly from the manufacturer. Ocassionally, I do return a piece. I have never had to wait 7-8 wks for replacement gear from any gear manufacturer! And, if the PreCip jacket was somehow manufactured defectively and it was purchased directly from Marmot they will probably offer you a credit towards other Marmot gear listed on their website as soon as they receive your defective PreCip jacket. Marmot is a reputable gear manufacturer!

Although I don't think it's customary with the Marmot PreCip, I have heard of the PU coating(I assume that's what you are referring to when you mention DWR) flaking/peeeling off the outer shell. I've noticed this with some other late model rain jackets using PU coatings or coatings on PU fabrics offered by other companies at economical prices. Obviously, this results in the jacket "wetting out" in places. I have always heard of Marmot replacing these versions of the PreCip IF IF IF it is indeed a warranty/manufacturing issue. I've also heard of the Marmot's PreCip needing to have its WP membrane "activated" with a short spin in the dryer on low heat. You might want to see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    that's funny. i've had mine for 2 years and i love it. only hiking jacket plus used to work cows in the summer as a lightweight rain jacket. i've used it to sit on during lunch breaks or just taking in a view. dwr is still fine. one tough jacket!
    I've bought a couple on sale. The white stuff inside always cracks and peels off and the dwr is so so.
    If I can find them around $50 they are worth it. Use it a couple of seasons and trash it.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet View Post
    I've bought a couple on sale. The white stuff inside always cracks and peels off and the dwr is so so.
    If I can find them around $50 they are worth it. Use it a couple of seasons and trash it.
    my nf pants did that. haven't had my precip do it yet. not to say that it won't. you should try out 6pm.com. they had last year's overstocks of men's precip jackets on sale the other day for $25.

Well folk after reading posts saying how great Marmot customer support is Sorry not to me they suck got in touch with them they said go on line to do it find when on line start to fill out the form got to the billing part. They want a credit card now this jacket is under warranty call them back up told them about this they said not to fill out the billing part but guess what will not allow you go on with out filling in the billing part.Call once again and they said oh yet you have to paid for postage gone and returning now i am sorry but i should not have to paid for the return to the jacket has been crap from day one never will i buy any Marmot stuff again. If anyone would like a driclime wind shirt cheap
    $55.00 Plus S/H let me know Still new only try it on once to small for me size Large

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++