WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Weather down south

I'm just curious as to how cold it will be in Georgia in March. I know it will be cold, but curious for a more detailed description. Trying to figure wether i need a winter coat or if i can just layer up. I would like to avoid a winter coat for bulk and weight issues. any help will be appreciated.

At elevation here in GA, and sometimes below it CAN get into the single digits on occasion, typical March weather is cool and windy 20-30 at night and high in the 50's, however there can be cold and snow at elevation into early May. Be prepared!!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You need to be prepared for teens to 50s. So that means taking what you need for varying temps. And an insulated jacket doesn't weigh that much

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default staying warm

It gets dark early and you'll want to be warm without being forced into your sleeping bag every evening. 12 hours on wood planking gets old even when you're 20! I'd look for a deal on a down jacket. You'll get away with a lighter sleeping bag as well. I found an old Sears duck down coat for $2.50 at the thrift store, plus tax...

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

as others have said, teens are most likely the coldest temps you will have in march. although, i have been in GA before and had temps below 0 in March if you factor in the windchill.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

El Sordo
    Images

I took some people back to their car last week from Connecticut. They said they'd come to Georgia to hike cause they figured it couldn't be all that cold. Went home early.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    I took some people back to their car last week from Connecticut. They said they'd come to Georgia to hike cause they figured it couldn't be all that cold. Went home early.
    Suppose to be 10 degrees here Wednesday morning I think, high low 20's, not terribly unusual. Last yr we had 10 days, don't remember the Month, it didn't get out of the 20's for a high. That was here at home, 740 ft elevation. I'm sure in the mountains low of probably negative temps!
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Images

In years past I have been out when the lows were only in the 40's in January.In the south ,in the spring it could be near 70 one day and days later highs would be in the 20's.One year got down to 15 in mid April.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    i have been in GA before and had temps below 0 in March if you factor in the windchill.
    No one in cold climes talks about windchill otherwise we'd be depressed...

I want to start out early March as well and have read quite a few of the trail journals. Most of them encountered snow, so go in prepared to face snow. If you carry two pounds extra for a couple of weeks and don't need it, its better than shaving the weight and freezing all night long.

Images

Not meaning to be a smart Azz, but every year people ask about the weather at (name the place); why don't you use NOAA, Weather Underground, or WB http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/weather.php and get more reliable data?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Not meaning to be a smart Azz, but every year people ask about the weather at (name the place); why don't you use NOAA, Weather Underground, or WB http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/weather.php and get more reliable data?
    Well, that would be the intelligent place to start.

Thanks for the input.

Yep, when you check out the weather history for the towns along the trail you might be surprised at what you find. Even factoring in slight elevation difference between reporting stations and elevation of trail the temps are much warmer than generally reported here.

Images

5 to 8 inches of snow today in smokies. nature is telling us that this will be one of the worst winters we've had. Local folks hre in the country say that since the first snow on the ground here in ky was Dec 26 we will have 26 snow falls. We have 16 more to go.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Images

Yep. It's the same for folks who ask about trail conditions, shelters, water, bears, trailhead access and parking, and the like, and never once contact the actual trail club that official maintains that section of trail, isn't it?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

One other thing to consider is that when it gets cold in the south, it is often a wet cold, as opposed to a dry cold. It can be quite a bit more "chilly" at the same actual temps than what you might be used to. I think besides humidity, there's also the up and down factor where one day you're at 70 and then it drops and kind of catches you by surprise. Of course, the good thing is that if you wait a day or so, its not likely to stay frigid cold for very long. But you'll be wanting a down jacket for sure.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

carry a light weight down or synthetic jacket (patagonia down sweater or montbell thermawrap jacket) and layer -weather in the southern AT can be very cold-i see my gallery pictures I took in the smokies in march a few years ago- my advice is be prepared you can always send stuff home later when the weather gets better
    Hillbilly

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    No one in cold climes talks about windchill otherwise we'd be depressed...
    granted

ive been in GA before several times when the actual temp was below 0, but it wasnt in March
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Its cold right now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++