PDA

View Full Version : Tent!!!

Green Bean
08-24-2005, 23:33
Im looking around for a new tent a two person tent and trying to stay under 7 pounds that would be nice. If anybody could help me out on trying find a good tent that fits the descriptions that be cool. Thanks PEACE~Green Bean~

verber
08-25-2005, 00:28
There are lots of choices. It would help to know how much space you want (how tall are you, and do you want room for all your gear inside the tent), do you want free-standing, and what conditions you expect to face: do you need to worry about snow loads, high winds, heavy rains, standing water?

Without knowing these things I would suggest:

1) Tarptent Squall2: A 2lb single wall two-person shelter which will keep the bugs and rain off you. A good amount of room. It's great for most 3-season conditions.

2) Sierra Designs Lightning or MSR Hubba Hubba: ~4lbs free-standing teams. Good for three seasons. A bit small inside the tent, small but useful vestibule.

But there are lots of other good tents. BA Seedhouse, REI 1/4 and 1/2 dome, etc.

--mark

justusryans
08-25-2005, 08:11
Im looking around for a new tent a two person tent and trying to stay under 7 pounds that would be nice. If anybody could help me out on trying find a good tent that fits the descriptions that be cool. Thanks PEACE~Green Bean~
Easy one, try the Hubba Hubba, the Zoid 2 or Henry Shires Tarptents. I use a Cloudburst 2 and love it!

Kerosene
08-25-2005, 11:16
For shelter on a trail like the AT, I would seriously look at the newer single-wall, sil-nyl shelters that weigh about 2 pounds if you use your trekking pole as a tent pole.

In particular, take a look at the Henry Shires Squall 2 (http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html) and the Six Moon Designs Europa 05 (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=40). If you insist on a two-wall tent, then I would look at the tried-and-true Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight CD (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47857305&parent_category_rn=4500457&vcat=REI_SEARCH) at 3 pounds, 11 ounces.

Bob Baker
08-26-2005, 00:51
7 pounds??? While hiking the AT youll be happier if you go with a lighter tent, suck as a two or even three man tarptent. The three man tent would give you more room and still come in at under 3 pounds. If you want a freestanding tent then the hubba hubba would be a good buy.

LIhikers
08-27-2005, 11:48
I don't know how you plan to use your tent, but if you really are willing to go up to 7 pounds let me suggest the Sierra Designs Sirius 3. It's a three person tent that we got because we often hike with our dog, an 80 pound shephard. When we have our dog along there's plenty of room for the 3 of us and when the dog stays home we can bring our gear into the tent.

This tent is mesh on one end and solid nylon on the other. And of course the mesh end has a rain fly. By putting the nylon end facing where others might camp it provides privacy and then we can still have the rain fly rolled back, or off, to provide plenty of ventilation. With the fly on it's kept us dry in pounding thunderstorms and with the fly off you can star gaze.

With the Sierra Designs footprint and gear loft our tent weighs in at a little over 6 pounds. That sounds heavy until you consider the fact that my wife and I each carry parts of it.