PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Brand vs. Cost

athikebound
12-01-2013, 10:25
Has anyone purchased a sale pack?
I am looking at the REI Flash 62 pack. I have read reviews and such but my question goes out to anyone who has actually tried this pack.
I am in the (trying on etc stage) This will be my first multi day pack as my cousin and I are attempting the AT in 2014 (just around the corner). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Drybones
12-01-2013, 10:45
I have the Flash 65 which is the earlier version, it's an okay pack and I still occassionally use it but for more than a couple of days I use the Granite Gear Crown 60, it's much more comfortable, lighter, and for my use has better organigation.

bigcranky
12-01-2013, 13:22
Lots of people use the REI Flash pack. It's well made, a decent price, and a good size for a thru-hike (i.e., not too large.) Even better when it's on sale. If you're just starting to gear up for a thru, this list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) is a great starting point.

Feral Bill
12-01-2013, 13:44
More important than brand and price is fit. Go to REI, load up the pack, heavily, with you gear or theirs, and spend an hour or two walking around the store. If your REI has stairs use them, a lot. If the pack is comfortable, you're probably all set. You could try some conparable packs at the same time, too. Happy walking!

Drybones
12-01-2013, 14:27
More important than brand and price is fit. Go to REI, load up the pack, heavily, with you gear or theirs, and spend an hour or two walking around the store. If your REI has stairs use them, a lot. If the pack is comfortable, you're probably all set. You could try some conparable packs at the same time, too. Happy walking!

I agree, this is about the only way to make an informed selection, but, unfortunately, at least for me, packs are like shoes, they can feel great in the store but after wearing them for an entire day under trail conditions they may not work as well as expected. Good luck.

Feral Bill
12-01-2013, 14:31
I agree, this is about the only way to make an informed selection, but, unfortunately, at least for me, packs are like shoes, they can feel great in the store but after wearing them for an entire day under trail conditions they may not work as well as expected. Good luck. Good reason to buy from REI, or another store with a good return policy.

HooKooDooKu
12-01-2013, 19:57
I think one of the best things about the REI Flash Pack is that it seems to be one of the lightest weight backpacks designed for heavier loads (i.e. 30-40 lbs).

Otherwise, theses packs are cheaper because they seem to be made cheaper. The 1st one I bought had the edging of one of the shoulder straps pull out and fray with one season of occasional weekend use. I had no problems exchanging it with REI. But the very first time I used the replacement, the inside liner was damaged trying to pull out a stuff sack full of cloths and a sleeping bag.

My overall review would be that if you can find one at a discount, they are worth the money, just don't expect it to be a life-long purchase. It's cheaper than other packs for a reason. Based on what others are saying, it sounds like you should be able to count on it for a thru hike... but I personally wouldn't expect it to hold up to TWO thru hikes.

Obviously YMMV, especially depending upon how much you baby it.

q-tip
12-01-2013, 22:10
Yopu might want to make sure it is the right backpack. The $30 ewont make a differenceif it doesnot perform..just a thought..

Namtrag
12-02-2013, 10:21
Just noticed while browsing the REI outlet online, the women's 65 Flash Pack is half price at $84.

Tim Causa
12-02-2013, 17:41
I've used the flash 62 for about 700 miles and I'm going to stop using it. The hip pads rub my hips raw; it's a hard fishnet material on the waist belt. I liked the weight, but I carry such little stuff now that I allowed myself to buy a "heavy" Gregory contour pack at four pounds that feels incredible. I shoot for 30 miles a day so the comfort while hiking is key for me. I have a smaller, ultralight bag at less than two pounds for my short weekend trips, but for longer trips I wanted something comfortable that wouldn't trash my hips like the flash 62.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Duramax22
12-02-2013, 21:35
best advice is weigh all your gear and then add what you think your food and water will weigh generally. next consider how bulky your gear is. Then take that weight and bulk an start pack shopping. i see alot of people buy there pack first. its a mistake and i have made it. your pack should be one of the last items you buy becasue you dont really know what you need until you know your gear info. +1 on granite gear crown 60 btw

12-02-2013, 21:38
I use the flash 62 and had the flash 65. I like them. I do carry good 10# fishing line and thread as I did have to sew a bit to keep it together. I think it will do great if you keep loads under 30lb. Just my opinion.

4eyedbuzzard
12-03-2013, 10:27
The last pack I purchased was on sale. Go-lite had a big clearance a couple of years back and I picked up a Jam for $50 and a few other items. But I did know exactly what size and how it would fit etc already from trying on a friends.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Praha4
12-03-2013, 11:42
I tried the REI Flash pack a couple years ago, it tended to sag when load was over 25-30 lbs. I did not like it. I hiked with a Deuter ACT Zero 60+10 and the newer ACT Zero 50+15 from 2009 to early 2013. Then I switched to an Osprey Atmos 50 before my LT hike this September. In comparison, I wish I had switched to the Osprey Atmos a long time ago. Don't misunderstand me, I love Deuter packs, but now I'm sold on the Osprey Atmos series. good luck

slbirdnerd
12-03-2013, 13:09
I tried an REI flash in the store recently and didn't like the fit, the hip pads were very thin, the shoulder straps not comfy. If the pack FITS and WORKS for you, then it's a bonus if it's on sale. But that is one thing you don't want to skimp on. Buy a cheap pot, cheap tee shirts, whatever else that's not going to ruin your hike, but not a cheap pack.

Tim Causa
12-03-2013, 13:18
I tried the REI Flash pack a couple years ago, it tended to sag when load was over 25-30 lbs. I did not like it. I hiked with a Deuter ACT Zero 60+10 and the newer ACT Zero 50+15 from 2009 to early 2013. Then I switched to an Osprey Atmos 50 before my LT hike this September. In comparison, I wish I had switched to the Osprey Atmos a long time ago. Don't misunderstand me, I love Deuter packs, but now I'm sold on the Osprey Atmos series. good luck

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention the sagging... Even when my total weight is under 18 pounds I always have to snag on the hipbelt straps every mile or so because they always come loose. I agree with the above.. buying a good bag that fits you well will keep you on the trail longer; don't skimp here or make a decision based only on price because it will be more expensive in the long run when you have to replace your bag 200 miles later because your body rejects it.