PDA

View Full Version : Montbell Thermawrap UL

Sparrow2013
12-01-2013, 21:04
Question - starting to see out of stock and "discontinued" on this item. Is this standard year end routine and the discounters will have this again or are they phasing out this line for something newer?

aficion
12-01-2013, 22:38
Question - starting to see out of stock and "discontinued" on this item. Is this standard year end routine and the discounters will have this again or are they phasing out this line for something newer?

Their colors and model specs have changed from year to year. The guide model is now heavier than last year's model for instance. Retailers are reducing prices on last year's stuff. I just got one for half price and love it. Mine has the sewn on hood and weighs close to a pound. I have had it on more often than not for the past week. Good stuff!:)

Dogwood
12-02-2013, 01:54
What occurs through discounters is one thing and what occurs with Montbell itself can and often is another thing. Directly through the Montbell OUTLET(at the Montbell website), you can right now purchase the MB Thermawrap UL Jacket (Beware different yearly and spring/fall versions and slightly different Thermawrap models exist) on sale from $78-93. http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301161

Personally, I usually wait until the price of NEW models/versions and the hoopla subsides to buy here at MB and elsewhere. Now, is a great time to snag one of those Thermawrap UL Jackets on sale. ***However, you may be getting the Spring 2013 or last yr's version at this price AND only while in LIMITED size/color combos. As Aficion also said, colors /model specs can change from yr to yr. It's up to you to know what you're buying.

NO, I do not think MB discontinued the UL Thermawrap series. The MB Thermawrap jackets and vests are quite popular. They do update occasionally though.

I own the current 2013 Thermawrap Sports Vest version, an older Thermawrap UL vest(I think 2007 version), Thermawrap UL Jacket(2008 version), and a Down UL Inner Jacket(2008 version, NO LONGER MADE). Total, it's my guess, those four pieces have seen upwards of 1000 days of use on trail and non- trail use. I live in my Montbell jackets, particularly my vests. They all still look good and function well and have kept pace with the UL market.